SoundHound + hands-free with “OK Hound” | Search, Discover and Play Music
By SoundHound, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Search, discover and play music with SoundHound. And now, you can navigate in a hands-free search and assistant mode with “OK Hound…”
To use hands-free, simply say: “OK Hound… what’s this song?” You can also do much more:
Say it and play it:
• “OK Hound, please play Hello by Adele”
• “OK Hound, play Katy Perry’s top video”
Add song to Spotify playlist:
• “OK Hound, please add One Day Like This to my Spotify Playlist”
• “OK Hound, add Dark Horse to my Spotify Playlist”
Deep dive in music knowledge:
• “OK Hound, what’s Taylor Swift’s latest song?”
• “OK Hound, how old is Paul McCartney?”
• “OK Hound, where was Fetty Wap born?”
For music identification or Sing/Hum recognition, say:
• “OK Hound, what’s this song?”
• “OK Hound, what’s this song that I’m humming?”
Plus, you can continue to access all of the great SoundHound features you know and love through the classic tap, swipe and type modes, too:
• Tap the orange button to instantly identify songs and see live lyrics, video playback, share, stream, or buy
• Sing or Hum into SoundHound, for results when you can’t get that song out of your head
• Access your History, showing your previous searches (register to ensure you can access all of your discoveries!) to add to your Spotify playlist
• View live lyrics, moving real-time with the music, and sing along
• Check out weekly featured songs, videos, artists & albums
• Find out what’s being played near you & around the world with our Music Map
• Learn about ‘Artists Born Today’, showcasing artists on their birthday, everyday
• Access artist photos & biographies, album release dates & band info
• See the hottest in new music, across Global, Emerging and Popular charts
• Play the full song and watch the music video with our embedded YouTube player
• Browse the top videos others are watching
• Listen to songs or playlists in your favorite connected streaming services, such as Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music
• Purchase songs or albums instantly in iTunes
Reviews and Honors
• Top 10 Must-Have iPhone Apps - Bob Tedeschi, NY Times
• Best Music Engagement App - BILLBOARD Music App Awards
• Essential iPad App - "Seriously fast" - John Herrman, Gizmodo
• "Genius, isn't it?" - B.B.C. World Radio
• "This is amazing... insane, right?" - David Pogue
SoundHound all you like – it’s free and unlimited. Don’t want banner ads? Upgrade to SoundHound ∞
What's New in Version 7.1.3
- Now go Hands-Free with “OK Hound…” Use your voice to search, discover, and play! Find that song you’re trying to identify, hands-free, in the car, on the go, or at home, discover new information about an artist, play full tracks, or even add it to your playlist.
- To identify a song playing on the radio, just say “OK Hound, what song is playing?”
- To discover more about your favorite artist, say “OK Hound, what is Rihanna’s latest song?”
- To play a song, simply say, “OK Hound, play Hello by Adele.”
- Redesigned History page to make it easier to access music you’ve found with SoundHound
- We’ve have an all new app icon! Look for the signature SoundHound orange.
If you enjoy our service, please consider spreading the word by reviewing our app.
Eavesdropping Is Not Cool
I have had this app for some time now. It does what I want and need it to do. Gone are the days of wondering, "Oh, I love this song! What is it?" or "Doh, I should know this song but I can't remember the title". It keeps the history so that I can review later, when convenient. I have had no complaints, until recently. I use the app occasionally, when needed. So, there are spans of time where it hasn't been used recently but is somehow listening. I will unlock my iPhone and find a blinking red bar at the top of the screen to alert me that "SoundHound" is using the microphone. The question is "Why?". I have not opened the app recently. I do understand that it can remain open, in memory but still, if I am not actively trying to identify a song, it should not be eavesdropping. At first, I dismissed it as accidentally locking the phone with the app active. But, as I paid more attention, that is not the case. It is intentionally using the microphone without need. I have resorted to revoking the microphone permission when not in use. It's inconvenient and can cause one to miss a song identification in a hurried moment, but at least I have the delusion of a bit more privacy.
Singing/Humming Feature Needs Work
For me and most others (I'm sure), the main draw of this app is its claim that it can ID songs that you sing or hum. As an aspiring producer who's always thinking of melodies I'd like to sample but can't remember the song-name of, this sounded like a godsend. However, when I tested it out, I found that it couldn't identify any of the melodies I wanted to know about. Of course, this could just mean that the songs I was thinking of didn't actually exist, so I decided to give it a second chance by humming some of the most popular songs I could think of. Sure enough, I still couldn't get anything. Finally, I looked up a list of this year's most popular songs and flat-out sang them, fully-enunciated lyrics and all. The only one I could get the app to recognize was Hello by Adele. If a song has to be as popular as Hello by Adele to be identifiable via singing, your app can't identify songs via singing. I leave this review in hopes of inspiring improvement of this feature, because I would love to support an app that could do something so useful, but sadly, in its current incarnation, Soundhound is not one.
This app is amazing when it comes to recognizing and giving you artist/song information. Whether you're in a busy noisy place, car, store, or even when watching a movie at home and finding a song you like, its a great app to have handy....and in its category it's by far the best app I've ever come by.
It's quick, it's easy to use, and it even saves your history so you can go back and find the songs you liked.
Most of the time, it even provides lyrics, if you turn your phone to landscape mode it brings them up for you line by line along with the song you're listening to.
I've been using it for years and I'm def a big fan.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Music
- Updated: Jul 06, 2016
- Version: 7.1.3
- Size: 41.1 MB
- Languages: English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Seller: SoundHound, Inc.
- © 2015 SoundHound Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Ad-Free, Extra Features$6.99