By Zach Gage
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Looking for a word game that goes beyond a simple Scrabble/Boggle/Jumble clone? SpellTower is for you.
As seen In The New York Times Magazine, on Apple's iPhone 5 Announce Website, and in Apple Stores
--- There appears to be a bug with iOS7 and bluetooth multiplayer. I'm working on a update that fixes this, along with adding some exciting new features that I hope to release before the end of the year, sorry about that ---
#3 Top Paid App on iPad, #21 on iPhone!
Thanks so much everyone!!
Best Word Game! - 148Apps' 2011 Best App Ever Awards
- Touch Arcade's Favorite Puzzle game of 2011 -
Ranked #2 in Mashable's Top 10 iPhone Word Games
"Simple, stylish and furiously addictive. Far and away the best ‘pure’ word game on iOS." 5/5 stars - Tap! Magazine
"I'm obsessed, I'm ignoring my family!" - John Moe, NPR Marketplace
"guaranteed to entertain" - IGN
"by far one of the best [word puzzle games] in recent years" - 4.5/5 Stars - Editors Choice - 148Apps
"SpellTower is an extraordinary word game that deserves a place among the best of the genre." - 4/4 - SlideToPlay
"The Boggle Tetris That We Needed"
- Kotaku's Gaming App of The Day
"A must-buy for word fiends, SpellTower is an uncommonly attractive and thoughtfully designed puzzler" - 9/10 - Gold Award - Pocket Gamer
"Elegant, clever and fun. Proof That Word Games Can Be Beautiful" - 5/5 Stars - TouchArcade
"Nervy, humbling, and strangely energizing. If you can handle the stress, SpellTower is magnificent" - 8/10 - EDGE Magazine
"A superb word game... for anyone in your household who loves a good word teaser, even the most technologically-challenged. Grab it and start spelling!" - JayIsGames
"I expect to be playing for a long time" - ZTGD
"It's Boggle on crack... only costs 2$, and your life." - Weekend Confirmed
* Tested.com App of The Day! *
Best iPad apps of the week of nov13th-19th - AppAdvice
"The best word game you haven't played", "A brain-picking puzzler" - Pitchfork / KillScreen Magazine
"I’m already convinced SpellTower is a significantly better game [than PopCap’s Bookworm]."
- From the creator of critically acclaimed titles Halcyon, Bit Pilot, and Unify -
Find and swipe (or tap!) words in 5 challenging modes. Make long words or use bonus tiles to clear extra letters from the screen!
Once you have it down, Challenge your friends via intense local multiplayer.
* WORDS + STRATEGY = AWESOME *
Pick your words wisely! As you work, more tiles rise from the bottom of the screen, and it'll take all of your lexicological wits and tactical know-how to keep them down. If any of the letters make it to the top row, it's game over.
* FIVE AMAZING MODES *
- TOWER MODE : No pressure here. Try and get the highest score possible out of 150 letters, eliminating small words to set up 7- and 8-letter blockbusters!
- PUZZLE MODE : Every word you make adds a new row of letters! Strategic word finding at its best.
- EXTREME PUZZLE MODE : Puzzle mode with the minimum word length cranked up. Experts only!
- RUSH MODE : Rows of letters build up over time. Find words as fast as you can, but be careful you don't back yourself into a corner!
- DEBATE MODE : Feeling good? Challenge your friends in this intense local multiplayer mode.
GAME CENTER leader boards and achievements for each mode and highest scoring word!
What's New in Version 3.1.3
Man. I'm so sorry about all these save game issues. I think I need to take a vacation! Everything should be sorted out finally with this version. Sometimes its hard being the only developer on a project. Again, i'm so sorry about all of this!
(if you've previously lost your save files from 3.1.1 or 3.1.2 it's normal for you to lose your saves again upgrading to this, but this is the last time! People who never had issues before should be okay, and this issue should never come up again)
* 3.1.3 fixes a local save clearing bug in 3.1.2 *
* 3.1.2 fixes bugs with multiplayer debate mode *
* 3.1.1 fixes some small issues with iCloud and multitasking *
Thanks so much for all your support everyone! I have some very cool updates planned for the future as well, but I wanted to get out a version ASAP for all the people buying new iPhones this friday! This update contains some real cool stuff, but it could be a bit confusing, so read carefully to see what's in store!
- supports the iPhone 5.
(If you're lucky enough to have a new iPhone, I've added 'iPad Puzzle Mode' for you! It's an extra puzzle mode with a full-size iPad grid (8x14) to make good use of the new longer display)
- iCloud support*
* the iPhone and iPad versions will NOT sync with each-other because they use different sized grids.
iCloud support is in here primarily to support cloud syncing to the Mac version in the future.
**The only exception to this is 'iPad Puzzle Mode' on the new iPhone 5 will sync with 'Puzzle Mode' games played from an iPad
charged in middle of night
I bought an iPad, not even a week yet, and this is the first Apple product for me. The first game I download from the App Store was SpellTower, the FREE version. I wanted to get a feel for how Apple works, etc. So, I played this FREE game last night and closed out. Then after midnight, I get a chime coming from the iPad. I wake up this morning and I have a new email. It shows that I have been charged for the full version of SpellTower. The game is only $1.99. The price is not the issue. It is being charged for a FREE version of something from the App Store, without myself authorizing the transaction. I went back to look "at the small print" and I do not see where one will be charged after 'x' amount of days.
If this is how APPLE works - want nothing to do with. I have a Kindle and Kindle has never charged me, without me authorizing the transaction. This situation makes me wonder about the other FREE apps I have downloaded. Come on Apple, you are suppose to be better than this.
Has Great Potential
Entertaining game that's easy to learn. If you're a fan of word games like Scramble with Friends, you'll like this.
Would like to see:
- Wild card tiles that can become any letter.
- Better way to balance columns that get too long in tower mode. Once they're too tall and the adjacent column is too short, you're doomed.
- Larger tap area for iPhone letters. It's easy to accidentally hit the wrong tile. While you can submit a word by tapping the last letter, you can also tap the bar at the top of the screen (I did this for a while before I realized the letter trick). Problem is, the bar is not 45px tall as iOS guidelines recommend, and sometimes I'd hit the decorative striped area or the quit button (Why is there a decorative area anyway? Just make the button bigger, please).
Dear Zach Gage:
Thank you for developing such an awesome app. I know you work on this by yourself, and you've done a great job with this simple concept. A lot of people would like to see an undo button, but they should either be more careful or think ahead. Of course, I play on the iPad version, so maybe I'm biased.
I would like to an endless mode added to this game. By this, I mean a mode similar to "rush mode" but without the 6 letter restrictions (or any restrictions). To make it fair, gradually increase the speed so that after 20 minutes or so it becomes virtually impossible to continue.
Thank you kindly.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Sep 27, 2012
- Version: 3.1.3
- Size: 14.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Zach Gage
- © 2011
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.