By Applicate Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Sputnik! is an easy to use tool for predicting when the International Space Station will pass by your location or when an Iridium Flare will be visible in the skies above.
NEW - Sputnik! on Apple Watch:
- Easily find the next and last sighting at your current location.
- Detailed notifications for upcoming sightings.
- Glance view showing time left until your next sighting.
- Predictions of satellite and ISS sightings accurate to the second.
- Second by second countdown to the satellite sighting.
- Automatically keeps track of the correct universal time. No need to worry about whether your device clock is accurately set.
- Notification of upcoming satellite sightings even when the app is not running.
- Displays compass direction and elevation for your device to easily find the part of the sky where the sighting will occur (requires capable device).
- Rotate your device to landscape orientation to show exactly where the satellite will pass in the night sky.
- Share sightings via Twitter, Facebook, Mail, Messages and others.
- Automatic download of up to date satellite orbital data, even when the app is not running.
- Offline calculations, no need to be connected to the internet once orbital data has been downloaded.
- Input your location automatically by GPS, select from a map or enter coordinates manually.
- Save your favorite places for easy access.
- Audio cues for the last seconds before the satellite passes by.
* Sputnik! is ad-supported *
What's New in Version 2.5
- Increased internal cutoff values to show dimmer Iridium flares
- Fixed an issue that would cause occasional Iridium flares to not be included in prediction results
- Fixed an issue that could cause an error message to appear on the Watch app in some circumstances
Extremely useful App!
The Sputnik! app has proven invaluable for locating iridium flares! Our local astronomy club hosts public nights each Saturday from April to October at our club-owned observatory with the number of attendees sometimes exceeding 200 people so I use the Sputnik! app to locate iridium flares for the public to view while waiting for their turn at the eyepiece of one of our scopes! Many public "Wows!" have been realized by the use of this simple but effective app!
Know when to look!
This app makes it easy to plan your stargazing most effectively. With the "Next 24 hours" and "Next 7 days" schedules, you can simply combine this with the weather forecast for a time and place to observe the night sky with precision. Want to show a child a satellite? Impress a date? This app can help.
Use this app all the time
This app is awesome and freakishly accurate with its predictions. It does better than another app I have, or even the heavensabove site.
I love the beeps! Those too are really accurate with the beep at the brightest magnitude. Amazes me what humans can accomplish with some math formulas.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Jul 01, 2015
- Version: 2.5
- Size: 6.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Applicate Ltd
- © 2010-2015 Applicate Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Go Ad-Free$0.99