By Applicate Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Sputnik! is an easy to use tool for predicting when the International Space Station will pass by your location or when an Iridium Flare will be visible in the skies above.
- Predictions of satellite and ISS passes accurate to the second.
- Second by second countdown to the satellite pass.
- Automatically keeps track of the correct universal time. No need to worry about whether your device clock is accurately set.
- Notification of upcoming satellite passes even when the app is not running.
- Displays compass direction and elevation for your device to easily find the part of the sky where the sighting will occur (requires capable device).
- Rotate your device to landscape orientation to show exactly where the satellite will pass in the night sky.
- Tweet about sightings directly from the app (requires iOS 5.0 or higher).
- Share sightings via Facebook, Sina Weibo, Mail and Messages (requires iOS 6.0 or higher).
- Automatic download of up to date satellite orbital data.
- Offline calculations, no need to be connected to the internet once orbital data has been downloaded.
- Input your location automatically by GPS, select from a map or enter coordinates manually.
- Save your favorite places for easy access.
- Audio cues for the last seconds before the satellite passes by.
- Brightness controls to preserve your night vision.
* Sputnik! is ad-supported *
What's New in Version 1.10
- Fixed an issue where brightness would be set to 100% after device auto-lock
A very useful app...
Sputnik has re-inspired me to look at the stars on a nightly basis. The app is simple and precise. I like that you can set reminders for events that will occur one week in the future. It would be great if the app had the path of the object superimposed on a star chart that is specific to the viewer's location. That would make it easier to observe where the object will originate in the field of view. Just a suggestion. Awesome app!
Easy, Accurate, and Worth It!
When you witness your first flare, you'll know right away this app was worth every cent! Everyone should watch a satellite or ISS pass with their loved one.
Feature request: I'd like to set the app to notify me before EVERY flare above a certain magnitude, between certain hours. Plus an option to make it background location-aware!
Great satellite tracker
This is a really easy to use and well designed app. The ability to use the compass and gyro to aim the phone in the correct direction is handy.
The only thing I have found missing is the ability to view daytime iridium flares. Some are bright enough that they are easily visible in the day if you know where and when to look. This app would be a great help with that.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Jan 16, 2013
- Version: 1.10
- Size: 2.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Applicate Ltd
- © 2010-2013 Applicate Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Go Ad-Free$0.99