The App for Square Off chessboard lovers!
Connect with anybody in the world on a real board through the Square Off app. Pick your opponent from an ever-increasing Square Off board community or online players. Play board to board, or board to app and vice versa.
Difficult to find someone for a game? Play against the board itself, beat the AI.
What makes Square Off awesome?
- 20 difficulty levels. A beginner or a grand master, Square Off can match up to everyone’s chess capabilities
- Challenge anyone across the globe, doesn’t matter if they have a board or not
- Moves are updated in real-time, once the game starts
- Auto reset, it means no hassle of arranging the pieces. The Grand Kingdom board magically resets on its own, so that you are ready to get on to the new game, in no time
- A built-in tech support right in the App, because we take chess seriously
- The board keeps getting better and better as it ages. New firmware updates keep pushing the improvements as we keep learning from more and more games played across the globe
- Chat with your opponent while you play!
- Analyze your game with 'Analyze This' app!
Visit us on squareoffnow.com
* Bug fixes and UI improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Okay App, Good Hardware, Great Potential
My son is in Chess Club so we got him this for Christmas and he LOVES it. The board is well made and the software works well enough that he can play the computer or other players online. However the app needs a lot of improvements to really earn 4 or 5 stars and reach the potential the makers promised. First, the challenge system needs to be more robust. Right now it’s hit or miss if you can get someone to accept a challenge and often a challenge notice comes up but when you open the app the challenge is not shown as active, even if the message just came in. The ability to teach or learn in computer only mode is vital and missing. Even just the ability to take back a move against the CPU would help. Also the ability to stream games (which is highly promoted in the company’s site and ads) does not work with the board. Streaming only works with the app which is not what is implied/promised in every video. Watching streaming on the BOARD is a must that must be solved. Other improvements like stats and friend only leaderboards would greatly enhance the player experience. Hopefully updates are coming soon. All in all, this is a great way for my son to play Chess when other opponents are not around, and the potential is very high if software improvements continue.
Developer Response ,
Hi, Thank you for your Feedback. We would like to inform you that our App development team is working hard to introduce most of the above feautres in our future updates. You can analyze the game you last played on the board currently. Also, you may log in to chess.com to play with worldwide players and also to keep a record of your games that you played on their platform. Our Grand Kingdom set users can live stream games on the board and we are testing the same on our Kingdom set as well. We wish to constantly stay in touch with our customers and so feel free to contact us anytime at email@example.com to express your views/complaints.
Team, Square OFF
Hardware amazing, please improve the software!
So excited for this to be real. Hardware is impeccable but it still needs a few additions to software to really work. And to be clear, I think you should buy this pro deuce, bc they will obviously improve the software in tune. Must haves:
- you need a board reconciliation tool, for when hardware and software get mixed up on board config. It happened in 2 of 3 ai games I played, and both times, that had to be the end of game (maybe a manual fix in the app or even take a picture of the board)?
- too many buttons in the app automatically log you out or end the game, and never is it necessary or logical. Why would you ever log out unless you intentionally hit a log out button? And if you hit: “lock the board”, and decide not to lock it, the present game is over and you can’t get it back. It should be harder for a game to be lost. “Are you sure you want to end game?”
- can you allow for auto log in feature? It’s a chess game, not sure you should ever need to log out. it’s harder to stay signed in than my banking app
Good idea but terrible software implementation
The idea is good but the software is garbage.
1) there is no way to report bugs when there is a software crash unless it’s somehow doing it in the background but i don’t think so since it can’t seem to detect it crashed. how can the software improve if it’s just the employees testing ? an entire user base would cover more real world scenarios and give you much better feedback..
2) there is no way to save the state of a game or load the state of the game after a crash. this is very easily implemented by storing each move and allowing the users to agree on what the game state was. now you can’t even see the history of the moves ...this would at least move me from one star review to three star review
3) playing versus the AI or versus friends multiple bugs have happened causing the game to be scrapped. i’ve only had it 1 day and on 4 separate occasions the game has had to be scrapped . playing against the AI seems to have less bugs. however this is not a rare occurrence.
im not trying to rag on the company and normally don’t write bad reviews but for the price of this board and for what you actually get, i had to do it. hopefully the company puts additional effort to hire more software developers.
looking forward to the bug fixes
Developer Response ,
Hi, We would like to offer our deepest apologies for the trouble you had to experience with us. This situation is not ordinary and these incidents are not typical of us. We request you to kindly email your Order number and contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org and our team will contact you ASAP.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.