By ESCAPE VELOCITY LIMITED
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** Star Chart is now FREE! *** The top educational & augmented reality astronomy app - download and find out why over 20 million people use Star Chart!
You can now have a virtual star chart in your pocket. Look through the eyes of your iPhone or iPad* to see a high-tech window into the whole visible universe.
All you have to do is point your AR enabled device* at the sky and Star Chart will tell you exactly what you are looking at.
Using state of the art GPS technology, an accurate 3D simulation of the visible universe, and a great deal of technical wizardry, Star Chart calculates – in real time - the current location of every star, planet and moon visible from Earth and shows you precisely where they are; even in broad daylight!
Want to know what that bright star is called? Point your device* at it – you might just find out it’s a planet!
Want to know what the night sky looks like to people on the other side of the earth? Well just point your device down!
Want to know where your star sign is in the sky? Star Chart will tell you all this and more.
Star Charts features include:
- Just point and view. When you hold your device up to the sky, Star Chart will automatically start tracking your movements to match the sky *.
- Alternatively, look around the sky using finger gestures – perfect for armchair astronomers!
- In a single app of less than 30MB, Star Chart dynamically scales its visuals and capabilities across all iOS devices to meet the high end capabilities of a retina display iPad while also running smoothly on the earliest iPhones and iPods.
- Accurately depicts all the visible stars of the northern and southern hemispheres - a total of approximately 120,000 stars!
- Fly to and explore all the planets of the solar system, their moons and the sun all rendered in beautiful 3D with state of the art visual effects.
- Using the powerful Time Shift feature, simply tap the time button and smoothly shift up to 10,000 years forward or backward in time.
- Displays all 88 constellations, with constellation imagery based on the beautiful artwork by 17th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius.
- Includes the complete Messier catalogue of 110 exotic deep sky objects.
- Tap on anything in the sky and get the facts on what you are looking at, including distance and brightness.
- Very powerful zoom function, lets you view the sky in extra detail, using intuitive finger gestures.
- Fully configurable. Star Chart displays only the sky objects that you are interested in.
- Allows you to view the sky underneath the horizon. So now you can see where the sun is, even at night!
- Manually set your location to find out what the sky looks like from anywhere in the world.
- Supports dynamic device orientation viewing. Allows you to view the night sky whilst holding your iPhone/iPad* at any angle.
So point your iPhone/iPad* at the sky and see what's out there!
* Augmented Reality mode is available on devices that include a built-in compass. Manual scrolling is supported on all other devices.
Star Chart is published by Escape Velocity Ltd and developed by Escapist Games Ltd. We update Star Chart regularly, so please send us your feedback and feature requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And thanks for all your feedback so far!
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/starchart
Follow Star Chart on Twitter: StarChartApp
What's New in Version 3.98
A few bug fixes:
- Fixed occasional crash when selecting constellations, either from search or by directly tapping on them.
- Star Chart now understands that Pluto has 5 moons, not 4.
- When running in an English variant other than US English, planet/moon order text was not displaying correctly.
A bit bugged out
I used this app constantly. I loved to go outside and finally figure out what stars and constellations I was looking at.
I guess I used it so often that it kind of broke? It may just be a bug, and there may be a way to calibrate it, but I can't figure it out. When the compass pops up to re-calibrate, it disappears immediately. The map is off track (moon as a reference, it isn't in the right position when I hold up my phone, and neither are the rest of the stars). I don't want to have to go through the trouble of downloading the app again just to get it to work. Must be a bug? Please fix!!
If the app were easier to navigate and if there was an easy way to calibrate it, I would give it five stars. Loved the app otherwise, though,
I've had this app for awhile but never used it much; I got it b/c a Facebook friend who's into astronomy frequently referenced it. Recently I (somehow) enabled notifications which, combined with this year's Pluto coverage, has led me to open the app much more often.
I really like all the reference information and am learning a lot - the universe has changed considerably since my school days back in the Dark Ages. 🙂 However, I too, could use more & better instructions. Right now I'm more interested in reading the text than using it to look at the night sky, but I keep getting lost while trying to navigate the app.
With better instructions, I would gladly give the app a higher rating.
Best Free Sky/Star Viewing App
This is by far the best (free) version of any night sky / star guide app yet. It allows you to pan your view over the night sky and uses GPS to determine your exact location for the best results. The screen view is very clear and movement is seamless and doesn't lag or jump like many other free apps. It updates in real time and shows objects as you move your phone across the sky. It displays names and constellation lines and images. It also includes planets and other deep space objects. This is a great download. A must have for any Astronomer or space enthusiast.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 17, 2015
- Version: 3.98
- Size: 22.5 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: ESCAPE VELOCITY LIMITED
- © 2009 Escape Velocity Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Meteor Showers$2.99
- Extended Solar System$2.99
- Enhanced Constellations$6.99
- Extended Star Catalog$9.99
- Enhanced Messier Catalog$9.99