By ESCAPE VELOCITY LIMITED
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** Star Chart is now FREE! *** The top educational & augmented reality astronomy app - download and find out why over 14 million people use Star Chart!
You can now have a virtual star chart in your pocket. Look through the eyes of your iPhone or iPad* to see a high-tech window into the whole visible universe.
All you have to do is point your AR enabled device* at the sky and Star Chart will tell you exactly what you are looking at.
Using state of the art GPS technology, an accurate 3D simulation of the visible universe, and a great deal of technical wizardry, Star Chart calculates – in real time - the current location of every star, planet and moon visible from Earth and shows you precisely where they are; even in broad daylight!
Want to know what that bright star is called? Point your device* at it – you might just find out it’s a planet!
Want to know what the night sky looks like to people on the other side of the earth? Well just point your device down!
Want to know where your star sign is in the sky? Star Chart will tell you all this and more.
Star Charts features include:
- Just point and view. When you hold your device up to the sky, Star Chart will automatically start tracking your movements to match the sky *.
- Alternatively, look around the sky using finger gestures – perfect for armchair astronomers!
- In a single app of less than 30MB, Star Chart dynamically scales its visuals and capabilities across all iOS devices to meet the high end capabilities of a retina display iPad while also running smoothly on the earliest iPhones and iPods.
- Accurately depicts all the visible stars of the northern and southern hemispheres - a total of approximately 120,000 stars!
- Fly to and explore all the planets of the solar system, their moons and the sun all rendered in beautiful 3D with state of the art visual effects.
- Using the powerful Time Shift feature, simply tap the time button and smoothly shift up to 10,000 years forward or backward in time.
- Displays all 88 constellations, with constellation imagery based on the beautiful artwork by 17th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius.
- Includes the complete Messier catalogue of 110 exotic deep sky objects.
- Tap on anything in the sky and get the facts on what you are looking at, including distance and brightness.
- Very powerful zoom function, lets you view the sky in extra detail, using intuitive finger gestures.
- Fully configurable. Star Chart displays only the sky objects that you are interested in.
- Allows you to view the sky underneath the horizon. So now you can see where the sun is, even at night!
- Manually set your location to find out what the sky looks like from anywhere in the world.
- Supports dynamic device orientation viewing. Allows you to view the night sky whilst holding your iPhone/iPad* at any angle.
So point your iPhone/iPad* at the sky and see what's out there!
* Augmented Reality mode is available on devices that include a built-in compass. Manual scrolling is supported on all other devices.
Star Chart is published by Escape Velocity Ltd and developed by Escapist Games Ltd. We update Star Chart regularly, so please send us your feedback and feature requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And thanks for all your feedback so far!
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/starchart
Follow Star Chart on Twitter: StarChartApp
What's New in Version 3.95
- bug fix for AR Mode not working when Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services>Compass Calibration is set to off. This prevents Star Chart from getting a reading for True North, and so now it falls back on using Magnetic North in this situation.
I'm not usually one for rating/reviewing apps, as in this is the first time I've felt compelled to do so. This app is absolutely perfect at what it tries to do. The images are of great quality, it is full of details, and the AR mode is surprisingly accurate to the point of being able to correct my astronomy professor when she had taken the class outside to observe Jupiter. All in all I would definitely recommend this app to anyone looking for any of the functionalities it offers.
I never take the time to write reviews for apps, but I love this one so much that I'm willing to. The app is high quality, everything is very detailed and the pictures are clear. It is very helpful when star watching. This is the only app I would I pay for an upgrade for, because you can do even more with that like find comets and cool things. This is my favorite app by far, I can't say enough good about it.
Another striped down, money-grabbing app! Save your time!
First, you're bombarded by sound and theres no setting to turn it off.
Second, the controls are limited or non-existent! Who offers a planetarium app in which you can't change the magnitude or brightness of what you're looking at? Only these guys...
Third, virtually every screen is filled with upgrade offers for the features that should come included!
If you're looking for a basic star charting app, try Celeston's SkyPortal--it's free, it's based upon the leading astronomy app, Sky Safari 4, and is chock full of features and controls, including audio tours of the sky. It has a major deficiency, however-- it won't show DSOs en masse; only 1 at a time. Not good! So, much better, spend a little and get the Sky Safari 4 app-- and you'll see how a star charting app should be done (the Plus version is the sweet spot between the entry level and the Pro). (And, no, I have nothing to do with the company.)
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jan 06, 2015
- Version: 3.95
- Size: 22.6 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: ESCAPE VELOCITY LIMITED
- © 2009 Escape Velocity Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Meteor Showers$2.99
- Extended Solar System$2.99
- Enhanced Constellations$6.99
- Extended Star Catalog$9.99
- Enhanced Messier Catalog$9.99