Stroke Builder from thetrilife.com is the definitive guide to swimming front crawl and correcting faults using swimming drills. The app features videos narrated by Great Britain Olympic triathlon coach Dan Salcedo. It is an invaluable tool for developing swimmers and coaches alike.
To get you started the free app contains the first 4 videos. The rest of the content is offered as In-App Purchases. This content is split into 3 sections
- stroke builder, fault fixer and drills database, so you can choose the section that suits your current level of swimming or get all 3 to complete this comprehensive guide to front crawl.
Novice swimmers should start with the stroke builder section which will lead them step-by-step to developing an efficient front crawl.
Intermediate swimmers will benefit from the fault fixer and drills database to help them fix issues with their stroke and provide variety to their training sessions.
Coaches can use all the sections as a demonstration tool to show correct technique to their swimmers.
Stroke Builder sections included for FREE:
• Introduction - The Perfect Stroke
• Reducing Resistance - Body Position
Stroke Builder bundle available for In-App Purchase includes:
• Reducing Resistance - Head Position
• Reducing Resistance - Breathing
• Reducing Resistance - Kick
• Body Roll And Recovery - Hand Entry
• Body Roll And Recovery - Body Roll
• Body Roll And Recovery - Recovery Phase
• Propulsion - Catch
• Propulsion - Pull
• Propulsion - Push
Fault Fixer sections included for FREE:
• Introduction - Fixing Faults
• Body Position - Body Not Streamlined
Fault Fixer bundle available for In-App Purchase includes:
• Head Position - Head Too High
• Breathing - Not Breathing Out Underwater
• Breathing - Lifting Head When Breathing
• Breathing - Cannot Breathe Bilaterally
• Kick - Kicking With Knees
• Kick - Ankles Flexed
• Kick - Wide And Deep Kick
• Hand Entry - Crossing Midline
• Hand Entry - Too Wide
• Hand Entry - Overreaching
• Hand Entry - Too Close To Head
• Body Roll - Not Enough
• Body Roll - Too Much
• Body Roll - Not Initiated At Hips
• Recovery Phase - Swinging Wide
• Catch - No Initial Catch Phase
• Catch - Elbow Dropped
• Catch - No Early Vertical Forearm
• Pull - Elbow Not High
• Pull - Crossing Midline
• Pull - Too Wide
• Push - Finish Too Early
• Push - Finish With Soft Hand
Drills Database sections included for FREE:
• Introduction - Using Drills
• Drills - Catch Up
Drills Database bundle available for In-App Purchase includes:
• Drills - Doggy Paddle
• Drills - Finger Trail
• Drills - Finishing
• Drills - Fists
• Drills - Front Sculling
• Drills - Head Position
• Drills - Head Touch
• Drills - Head Up
• Drills - Kicking Hands By Side
• Drills - Kicking On Side
• Drills - Kicking With Board
• Drills - Mid Sculling
• Drills - Poolside Breathing
• Drills - Pushing
• Drills - Single Arm Swimming
• Drills - Superman
• Drills - Thigh Touch
• Drills - Vertical Forearm Sculling
• Drills - Zip Up
Each section contains video and supporting text from the expert coaches of thetrilife.com.
Additional diagnostics info for app support
Ratings and Reviews
Waste of Time
I purchased this app, with the expectation it would offer more than the basics. If you wanted more in depth direction you have to buy its package for 4.99. False advertising
Frustrating In-App Purchase
The app itself is mostly just a teaser for an in-app purchase of video content. That, unfortunately, is a frustrating experience. There are 3 separate purchases totaling about 500 MBytes. That takes a long time to download, even on a flawless connection. But I've never found the downloads to be flawless. Whether it's the Internet, local WiFi, or the vendor's servers, the downloads keep failing and starting over again. Even worse, the app doesn't keep the videos once they're downloaded. It blames Apple's "cacheing policy" but the result is you have to keep restoring your purchases, which means going through the whole download process all over again.
Vendor needs to do 2 things to make this product usable:
1. Break the content up into smaller pieces so there's a good chance that each can be downloaded without failure the first time.
2. Figure out how to work with iOS so that content, once purchased, isn't deleted.
This is a great app. I was able to download all 3 sections.
I use this app to review every area of the freestyle stroke.
It breaks the stroke down into all its important movements.
Great for working on individual aspects of the freestyle stroke.
I also help other people learn to do the freestyle stroke properly and these videos help a great deal in breaking down the elements involved in each aspect of the stroke and the correct movements.
It is an awesome app.
- The Boffin Lab Limited
- 82.3 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011 The Boffin Lab Limited and The Trilife Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Stroke Builder Bundle $4.99
- Drills Database Bundle $4.99
- Fault Fixer Bundle $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.