Subwords is an exciting mix between a trivia and a word game. Words are split into syllables and you have to put them back together as fast as possible. The words in every level are bound to a certain topic, so you have to know about the topic to solve it. But it's no problem if you aren't that familiar with a specific topic: Simply click the bulb to learn something new!
- Over 30 levels, ranging from animals and fruits to European countries, our solar system or greek mythology etc.
- 20 bonus levels built specifically for kids up to an age of 8 years.
- Two modes: Classic and Timed!
- Fully accessible via VoiceOver
- Learn spelling and syllabification of words, plus new vocabulary!
- Head control: Play the game by just moving your head! (Requires a device with a TrueDepth camera)
- Play in different languages (German & English, more are coming soon!)
If you want to influence which topics will be added in the future, then join the official Subwords Discord channel!
It's language time! This update brings support for French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese! Plus, there is now an option to change to a Dyslexic font in the game.
In this small release, I've fixed some Italian miss-translations and also improved scrolling for VoiceOver users.
Ratings and Reviews
Great game but
I really enjoy this game and would love more levels! But some of the color schemes are so hard to read, I would love the option to either choose a specific color scheme, or turn on a colorblind mode to have better contrast. I am not colorblind but I really struggled to see the letters in some of the levels, especially the darkest colors in Greek mythology and presidents
Overall an amazing game that is fun and definitely has replay ability. It’s easy to get the hang of, and it’s not very high stakes to just play against your personal best. It’s a game that doesn’t require luck, just a little knowledge and practice.
I am generally hesitant to play games that I have to buy first, but this one was absolutely worth it! I’m only interested in casual and fun games because I’m always busy and don’t want to devote hours to my screen. This game is perfect for that because you can just play one level for a few minutes at a time. Absolutely amazing game!!
Fun but not a word game
This is much more of a trivia game then a word game. There are levels that are just outright impossible, ie: looking at forty bubbles that all contain two letters and being expected to construct ‘Video game characters’ from it. Other levels like the presidents was more realistic and far more fun.
I find I do not do the majority of the ‘Timed’ challenges unless I have some familiarity of the subject, otherwise they simply can’t be done. Thankfully developer doesn’t require all levels to be finished to move on. Just pushing to do better each try will earn stars to keep moving on.
Side note to the reviewer claiming to have finished the game with a perfect score.... BS you didn’t do it. Compliments to the developer for keeping their response generic with that Phony.
I’ll be interested to see what the next evolution of the game is. There a some fun ideas, but you quickly can outgrow them and then your left with half the categories you know nothing about (see ‘Solo Artists’ for a good example)
Developer Response ,
thanks for the feedback and sorry for the late reply. Here are a few things:
- About Subwords not being a word game: You're correct that it isn't a pure word game, that's why I always say it's "a mix between a word and a trivia game". You still have to find words in word-game-fashion, but have to have certain knowledge to find these words. `Video Games Characters` might be super hard for you and that's totally understandable (its a pretty specific topic), but other people also find topics like European Cities or Our Solar System impossible hard too. That's why the hint system of the game is designed like it is. You can always get a hint by clicking the bulb without any penalty to learn a new word of this topic. If you do that a couple of times, you will know enough words to solve the next run without a hint.
- `Timed` mode difficulty: That's intended :) The `Timed` mode only exists to give people that played the `Classic` mode often enough, and thus are familiar with the topic, a new challenge
- About the next evolution: The next things that are coming are 20 levels designed specifically for kids (up to an age of 8), plus the change that words will be split by syllables and can be cased. After that I will work on new language support. And as always, new topics are added each month. If you want to help shape the evolution of Subwords and decide which topics come next, send me a mail or join the Discord channel (link in the App Description)
Easy to pick up, fun to replay
It’s not obvious in the photos and videos, but each level is randomly generated from a large word list, making it fun to play levels over and over again.
Controls are simple and intuitive, and there’s no unnecessary limitations (e.g., you can re-arrange letter tiles manually).
I highly recommend grabbing this game!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the review, love to hear that you like it! (: if you have any ideas for more levels - to make the replayability even better, shoot me a mail!
- Klemens Strasser
- 327.1 MB
Requires iOS 11.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Klemens Strasser
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.