Sudoku 101 (Free)
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Wondering what the hype is about Sudoku?
This is the introductory course for Sudoku, ideal for beginners. It is a Sudoku game, a generator, a solver, and a teacher/tutor.
First, it is a real Sudoku game.
- Puzzle generator for unlimited play, at the difficulty level appropriate for beginners.
- Clean and simple game board, so you can focus on the playing instead of being distracted by colors and/or graphics.
- Ability to enter the game manually, copy from books, newspaper, or other Sudoku game software.
- Tap on a clue to highlight potential locations, tap again to go back to normal viewing.
- Automatic or manual pencil marks, which can be switched on and off during the play with one tap.
- Automatically save the game when you leave, continue when you come back.
- Option to use either symmetrical or non-symmetrical Sudoku boards.
- Option to show error.
Even more, it is your private tutorial. It teaches you the logic and pattern of Sudoku, with its multi-step teaching system. All of the techniques are human logic, not computer brutal force.
- When you are stuck, tap "Teach me". It highlights certain cells of interest.
- Tap again, it will tell you the technique to look for in those cells. A "What is..." buttons also shows up. You can look up the meaning of this technique.
- Tap again, it will show you the logic. Which candidate is of interest, why, and how it helps you to solve a cell, or to remove digits from possible candidates.
- Tap again, it updates the board, ready for the next step.
During the course of Sudoku 101, you will go through the following levels:
- Learning Basics: This level is for the absolute beginner. It uses Sudoku boards which be solved by the Full House.
- Easy: At this level, the puzzles can be solved with Full House, Naked Single, Hidden Single, and occasional pairs.
- Moderate: You will learn Naked Pair, Hidden Pair, and Locked Candidates.
Check out the screenshots to see how the teaching works.
Not enough for you? Ready for more challenge? Please check out our Sudoku 401, with advanced teaching including Hidden and Naked Trip and Quad, Fishes (X-Wing, Swordfish, Jellyfish, Squirmbag, Fishy Cycle), Finned Fishes (Finned X-Wing, Swordfish, Jellyfish, Squirmbag, Sashimi Fish, and Turbot Fish), XY-Wing, XYZ-Wing, WXYZ-Wing, and ALS.
What's New in Version 1.0.1
Warning dialog when reset or clear pencilmarks.
Good teaching app + good solver
I've played a few Sudoku apps on the iPhone, but this one's my favorite. Here's why: 1. It's got a nice, simple uncluttered interface, yet still has all the things you'd expect it to do, like auto or manual pencil marks. 2. The teaching mode is actually pretty helpful and has taught me a few tricks I wouldn't have otherwise known. The gimmick of the college course outline is a little too cute, but that doesn't get in the way of the actual teaching mode. 3. It's got a solver, so I can put in a puzzle from the paper or a book and get hints on it if I want. 4. The best feature. The price! (can't beat free)
What a good app Sudoku 101 is! The interface is clean and clear and the instructions are superb. I learned to play the puzzle on this app, loved it, so downloaded several of the top rated. Still, it is this app I return to time and again. I intend to buy their paid version.
So many free versions of an app seem to be nothing more than an ad for the paid version. Not Sudoku 101. While some app developers omit key options in a free version hoping to sell their other app, leaving the user feeling frustrated, this developer does not. Instead, enticement comes from the user's desire for harder puzzels after learning and solving those in this app.
If you are new to Sudoku, get this app. If you already play & want more instruction, get this app. All these puzzles are solvable and fun.
This is a GENEROUS free version and I appreciate the positive ethics and motives of this developer. Had I paid for this app, I would not feel cheated. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Best Sudoku App
The user interface is nice and simple. Easy to see numbers and no quirky display that so many of the other applications seem to focus.
All the other apps seem to have me focus on the grunt work. Thus takes that away from me so I can focus on wining the game.
The hilighting shows you right away which squares are available. I'm surprised so many applications do not have this.
The auto pencil feature fills them in for me, but let's me remove pencil marks when I want.
Removing those two Chores means the game is harder, but solvable. Requiring brain work rather than dotting the eyes.
The help is a wonderful feature and has helped me improve my game.
This was so good that I'm bought the next version (sudoku 401) even at the $8 price tag.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Oct 24, 2008
- Version: 1.0.1
- Size: 2.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: River Past Corporation
- © River Past Corporation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 2.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.