Switch Box Invaders is a fast paced single tap game made for and with young people who use switches to control their iOS devices. It can be played by touching the screen or with any iOS compatible switch interface.
The app is an established and enjoyable way of improving timing and tracking skills with over 20,000 downloads on iPad since 2012. The latest update also supports recent iPhones and iPod Touch.
Speed of game play can be adjusted to suit slower players and laggy switch boxes. An optional high-contrast mode optimised for players with CVIs and moderate visual impairment is also provided.
Apple Game Center support for Achievements, Leaderboards and Challenges is included. Discounted pricing and VPP for educational users is supported.
Quick Start for Switch Users
iOS Switch Control (Recommended)
● Use 'Tap Middle of Screen' as your Launch Recipe
● Alternatively map a switch to 'Tap Middle of Screen'
● Leave the 'Legacy Switch Control' option in the app's settings disabled
● A scannable game options menu is available via the main iOS Settings
Legacy/Direct Switch Control
● Supports most switch interfaces when iOS Switch Control is disabled.
● Also supports all iOS wired and wireless keyboards - use the spacebar to play.
● Enable the 'Legacy Switch Control' option in the app's settings
● See the Support Page for a list of tested switch interfaces and compatible modes
To prevent lockout when people enable it by mistake, Legacy Switch Control must be selected each time you start the app - all other game settings are saved for the next time you play.
Support for iPhone and iPod Touch version 4 and above. iOS9 Support. Higher resolution and performance improvements on newer devices.
Ratings and Reviews
Fast paced shooter
This game is really fun.
I downloaded this app, thinking that I would be able to easily hook it up to a switch from school, only to find out, I could not locate a blue tooth switch from the list (I work at a non profit school for kids with delays - and we use switches every day). The developer clearly states which switches have been successful. They also encourage email requests, if your switch doesn't work, and they will try to help you out. I think this shows their level of commitment.
This review is based on using this app, in its alternate mode - of tapping on the screen. Space Invaders is like the older arcade game, with the same name. In it, you have rows of armies that you must target and shoot down before they destroy or consume your space ship. Once a level has been achieved, you battle the Boss. The controls are simple; tap and you shoot, and then it directs your space ship in the opposite way. This is a great game for kids who are limited mortorically, but want to play video games like their peers. There are many options to customize this app, from varying the speed and timing of either the user or the rate the invading ships come down to the appearance to increase the contrast (for low vision kids). My only complaint is that there is no exit button once you are in the game. You have to play it to the end to start over or use it with another player. Recommended.
It would be nice to have a way to exit game to get to the menu to change settings. Have to wait until game is over. Also does not work with blue tooth switch. False advertising. Only works with using iPad screen as a switch. I was excited about this for some of my switch users but it does not work. :(
- Simon Evans
- 37.5 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Cognable 2012-2016
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.