You know the story: every day, thousands of photographers share their pictures on their blog, portfolio or on sharing platforms such as Flickr®. Every day, the same question gets asked: “How did you light this photo?”.
Now this is a tricky one! How does one go to explain a full setup of light modifiers, including strobes settings, placement, angles, ...?
Short answer: lighting diagrams.
Because a picture is worth a thousand words, Sylights has developed a tool to design outstanding lighting diagrams to help photographers prepare their shooting sessions or document their photos.
Whether you are shooting in a studio, covering a wedding or doing any other on-location photography work, here's what Sylights for iPad has to offer you:
• A full screen lighting diagram editor, featuring an unprecedented user interface to quickly place any gear you're using on the screen:
- Resize and rotate items with intuitive two-finger gestures.
- With our unique gear wheel, only a few taps are required to access any of the 60 items of our growing gear library.
- Double-tap on any item to open its contextual menu, offering z-ordering and customizable properties.
- Save your diagram at any time and come back later to edit it again and complete it.
• A collection of your diagrams giving you access to a wide range of features:
- Diagram edition – just in case you had forgotten something, no need to do it all over again!
- Attach photos to your diagrams: choose them from your photo library, or use your device's built-in camera to take an instant shot of your setup before it's taken apart.
- Send by email: an easy and quick way to share diagrams. If it's for your friends, send the diagram and its associated photos. If it's for your assistant, include all the settings information as well!
- Save the diagram to your photo library.
• A small yet responsive team you can get in touch with at any time on feedback.sylights.com, on Twitter (@Sylights) or on Facebook (facebook.com/sylights). We're always happy to hear about your suggestions or your projects!
So that's it: Sylights for iPad. If you're craving for that kind of app then you're on the right page!
Install it now, it's free :)
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Very useful -- must have if you shoot studio
Fantastic app -- I have used it for years so I can recreate useful lighting.
My new favorite app!
As a photographer, I see this as being an indispensable tool once I have time to use it. I am glad I won't ever have to doodle. lighting setup on a random scrap of paper or try to explain it over the phone, it's going to help my photo and video work tremendously. I would like to use this for video interview setups as well as chroma rooms and other video studio shots. No real complaints! Though it would be nice to have a bit more instruction, I sent a few minutes trying to figure out how to add objects to the diagram before I found out you have to hold down the object for a second before you can drag it into the diagram. Other than that one very small detail it is absolutely perfect!
Useful and Intuitive, only one major complaint
I like the app, and find it intuitive and easy to use. So far, I have only one major complaint, the "floor" keeps moving around. There is a zoom function to scale the size of the floor, why does it have to slide around? I find myself sliding the entire image around, when I'm trying to position a single element. This is very annoying. Let the zoom slider do its job, and don't allow the user to reposition the floor without activitating it with a press/hold on the floor, just like the press/hold on an element to select it.
I like some of the other users' suggestions, like adding notes, ala selfhiding sticky notes, that can be attached to each piece of equipment, etc.
- Somi Jeon
- 22.4 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- English, French, Korean, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2011-2018 Sylights
- In-App Purchases
- Remove Ads $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.