SynthMaster One iOS is the mobile version of KV331 Audio's SynthMaster One software synthesizer, which was recently voted "The Best New Synth of 2017" by MusicRadar readers.
SynthMaster One iOS is feature wise identical to the desktop version except the following:
* 16 voice polyphony (32 for the desktop version)
* Comes with 500 presets (800 for the desktop version)
SynthMaster One iOS is KV331 Audio's first full blown synth app for the iPad. It's a powerful wavetable synth with an intuitive workflow. With its simple layout, rich wavetable/waveform content and inspiring factory presets library, designing new sounds with SynthMaster One iOS is a joy.
* 500 Factory Presets: SynthMaster One iOS comes with inspiring factory presets from a world class team of sound designers: Arksun, Aiyn Zahev, BigTone Studios, Bluffmunkey, Bulent Biyikoglu, Gercek Dorman, Dejavu Sound, Nori Ubukata, Rob Lee, Ufuk Kevser, Selcuk Ergen, The Machine, Vandalism Sound, Vorpalsound and Xenos Soundworks
* AUv3: SynthMaster One iOS supports AudioUnits V3, allowing multiple instances to run under supporting DAW apps like GarageBand, Cubasis or Beat Maker. It also supports parameter automation and full screen when running inside GarageBand.
* AirDrop: Easily share your presets over AirDrop, Mail or other iOS Applications. SynthMaster One iOS presets are interchangeable with the desktop version.
* Semi-Modular Architecture: For each SynthMaster One instance, there are 2 oscillators with 2 sub oscillators, 2 Filters, 4 ADSR Envelopes, 3 LFOs, a powerful 16 step arpeggiator/sequencer and also 11 different effects that can be inserted on to 6 FX insert slots. The sub oscillators can be connected to the oscillators in 5 different modes which let you use it as a regular sub oscillator or do complex modulations such as ring modulation, amplitude modulation, phase modulation or frequency modulation.
* 16 Step Arpeggiator/Sequencer: The arpeggiator in SynthMaster One features classic arpeggiator modes such as Up, Down, UpDown, DownUp, UpDown2, DownUp2, AsPlayed as well as Sequence, Chord and Arpeggiate modes. Each of the 16 steps of the arpeggiator has its own Velocity, Note Number, Note Length, Slide and Hold parameters.
* Wavetable Synthesis: SynthMaster One implements true wavetable synthesis which opens up new possibilities for sound design. SynthMaster One comes with a rich wavetable library and you can extend that by dragging and dropping wavetable files using the Files App (requires iOS 11+)
* Stereo Oscillators with up to 16 voices Unison: Each of the 2 oscillators in SynthMaster One have stereo output, and can have up to 16 voices "unison". Using the "voices", "voices mix", "detune curve", "detune spread", "pan stread", "tone spread" and "phase spread" parameters, each oscillator can generate a rich "supersaw" type sound.
* Zero Delay Feedback Filters: All of the 4 filter categories in SynthMaster One are developed using the zero delay feedback filter technology. With advanced filter parameters like input gain, drive, acid, filter nonlinearities and up to 4 times oversampling you can get that "analog" sound from the filters!
* Rich Set of Effects: SynthMaster One features 11 different effect types: Distortion, LoFi, Ensemble, Phaser, 6 Band EQ, Compressor, Vocoder, Delay, Chorus, Tremolo, Reverb.
* Microtuning: SynthMaster One supports Scala tuning, so tuning can be set either for each preset or globally by loading from a Scala tuning file.
* Preset Browser: SynthMaster One features a comprehensive preset browser with separate search criterias for instrument type, preset attributes, music style or preset author.
* All 64-bit iPad devices
* AUv3 Audio Unit Extensions
* Note-per-channel MIDI controllers (MPE)
* Ableton Link
* Interapp Audio and AudioBus
* Bluetooth LE MIDI Controllers
* Share presets over AirDrop, Mail or other iOS applications
1. Added SynthMaster One FX AUv3
2. Added MIDI Output for SynthMaster One AUv3
3. SynthMaster One AUv3 now automatically changes ui skin when plugin window size changes
4. Save button added to AUv3 skins
5. Arpeggiator step volumes can now be edited
6. When user taps the osc/sub waveform display controls, routing view displays the waveform/wavetable with its name
7. Presets list now displays preset number and favourite indicator before the preset's name
8. Users can now assign favourite presets by clicking on the favourite indicator next to the preset's name
9. When saving an existing presets, the file name is now populated with a new sequence number appended
10. Added tempo textbox for standalone app
1. When Hold is pressed, notes should not be released when user switches to a different tab
2. Although host sample rate is set to 48khz/96khz, SynthMaster One AUv3 renders audio at 44.1 khz
3. Piano view drawing takes too much time, which slows down playing with the built-in keyboard
4. Hit area for the preset browser left/right arrows too small
5. When built-in keyboard settings are changed, they're not reflected for the expanded keyboard in standalone app.
6. Routing view should be brought to forward when user changes values for an envelope/filter/waveform
7. When changing dropdown values with swipe gesture, the value increment is reversed
8. When arpeggiator restarts at first step, it should read mode, steps, range, base time, repeat and velocity mode parameters
9. When switching presets, SynthMaster One might crash if sub oscillators have any custom waveforms assigned
10. Insert effect labels don't show the correct bypass state of the effect
11. When user saves a preset with a new author/bank name, the browser is not refreshed
12. 'Set as default preset' menu doesn't work
13. SynthMasterOne AU doesn't read tempo/transport information from host app
14. Textboxes should scroll up when they are hidden under the built-in keyboard
15. AU FX init preset should set osc1 type to audio in L, osc2 type to audio in R
16. Dropdowns should not close when user is playing the builtin keyboard
17. SynthMaster One AUv3 crashes when zoom button for the arpeggiator is pressed
18. SynthMaster One crashes when osc type is set to audio in
19. When osc waveform is changed from the menu, the osc still plays the old waveform
20. 'Set to default' menu doesn't work for knobs/sliders
21. Dropdown menu should close when user clicks any other area on the user interface
22. Dropdown menu should stay open when user selects a new value
23. Listboxes respond incorrectly to swipe gesture
24. SynthMaster One might crash when sample rate changes
25. 'Delete preset' menu doesn't work
Ratings and Reviews
A Must Have! Don’t even hesitate!
***Updated 6.7.18 (Is anyone else having issues with Bluetooth headphones?) I am on an iPad Pro using Sony BT studio headphones. When I try to open SynthMaster One it will force closes the app, unless I turn off my headphones then restart the app... When I do that I cannot get the headphones to work without shutting the app ooff If I open SynthMaster One in Cubasis or Garage Band, it will then allow me to open the app and get signal flow to my Sony’s ... but then it will ONLY ALLOW SynthMasters output and NOTHING ELSE outside the app. I have to close Cubasis or Garage Band, just so I can get any type of sound back into my headphones.
I loved all of KV331’s synths since I first started playing VST’s back in 2005, on my Dell PC. It’s hard to believe that it has already been 13 years!
I must admit that when I downloaded SynthMaster on my iPad I was expecting it to be (what THIS app actually is)
So if you downloaded SynthMaster and loved the sound, but hated that you didn’t have full control, then this is what you have been waiting for.
FULL CONTROL over sound, Arps, Osc, Filters, Envelopes, effects, ect.
The wave forms that this are here, wow! Not just a few Saws, Sines, Triangles, and basic noises, but everything between and then some.
I must say I only played for a few hours... But KV331 has earned a place in the Apple’s Best of 2018, that’s just a fact!
A Great App That No Longer Opens!
This was a great app but unfortunately with the new update, it no longer opens. It still works as an audio unit within Garageband and Cubasis etc. but it no longer works as a standalone app, it will not open. I have a second-generation iPad Pro 12.9 inch and also a new iPad that I purchased two weeks ago, both running iOS 11.4, same thing on both devices. I’ll keep a five star rating because I have faith that it will work again soon and until then, audio unit capability is more important anyway. I appreciate companies bringing their programs to iOS at a discounted price, when comparing to desktop prices.
Truly the SynthMaster!!
Finally got around to getting this monster of a synth. I love the GUI. It's logical and intuitive, without sacrificing power and versatility.
The sound is fantastic. It seems to be scanning mod sources at a very high rate. The oscillators and filters sound terrific. It includes a very capable Mod Matrix, and a powerful arpeggiator. The effects are nice sounding, too. It's rare to see so many strengths in an iOS synth. It seems nothing as been sacrificed. What a beast!!
It is a treat to see tuning maps implemented both at a global level and preset level. Only a few to choose from, I'm hoping to load more scala maps (if possible).
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.