Tembo is a super-efficient, organized file search tool. It will get to your files as quickly as possible. Tembo finds documents, folders, mail messages, bookmarks, images, videos, and more.
Search starts with a single text entry. Tembo then groups search results by file type category. For each group, Tembo first shows the top 10 matches. Often enough, you will find the sought for file right here.
The real power of Tembo is revealed when you drill down into a group. You will find up to 10’000 search results. Filters appropriate to the current group help you quickly find what you are looking for.
Filters show options that are actually available. The File Type filter, for example, shows a Microsoft Word option only if the search returned Word files. Select that option to reduce the long list of results to just Word files. Command-click several filter values to see files of different types.
\\ What filters are available?
• Documents: File Type
• Fonts: File Type
• Images: Resolution, File Type
• Messages: Subject, From, To
• Movies: File Type, Codec
• Music: Artist, File Type
• PDF Documents: Author
• Source Code Files: File Type
\\ What is new in Tembo 2 ?
• Actions: rename, tag, or trash files from search results
• Sharing: send files by Mail, Messages, Facebook, etc.
• File Info window: easy-to-read overview of important file properties
• View options: font size, date format, grid of icons or previews
• Collapsible groups: hide seldomly visited groups
• Menu bar button and global keyboard shortcuts
• Speed and looks! Faster. Better looking.
\\ What can I do with search results?
• Double-click a file to open it.
• Hold the option key while double-clicking to send Tembo to the background
• Use the action button to perform tasks: rename, trash, tag, etc.
• Use the share button to share selected files with others
• Hit the space bar to get a QuickLook preview of the file
• Control-click or right-click to access the context menu
• Drag a file out of Tembo into Finder or into another application
\\ Which files can Tembo find?
Tembo uses the existing Spotlight index. Tembo can find any file indexed by Spotlight. This includes files in the Library folders, but excludes most system files, hidden files, etc.
Improved instructions for enabling "Full Disk Access" on macOS Mojave
Ratings and Reviews
Tembo is my go to photo search app
I have a zillion photos cataloged in folders by year and month. I add info to the sub folder name or the file name to give me a hint of what the photos are about.
In Apple Spotlight search it takes FOREVER, even after indexing. In Tembo 2 it is amazingly FAST! I love it. I can’t imagine doing photo file searches without it. Definitely handles large searches easily.
My only complaint is that I access Tembo from my Dock, and if you pin it to your dock and rename it something like “Tembo - File Search” something I do to help others when they need to access files from my Mac, the app won’t launch! Other apps renamed in the dock work fine, but I have to use Command+Space Bar to type in Tembo to get it to launch if I change the app’s filename. Any chance of a fix houdah?
Quick, reliable and out of the way
Great program. Just about always finds what I am looking for. It loads instantly. I don’t have to set a bunch of Boolean stuff. I can just type a word in, find the file, and I’m done. It evidently looks inside documents as well, as I successfully find documents this way all the time, which is great for emails or PDF’s so the search goes beyond just looking at file names. And even though it uses the Spotlight index, it somehow gets me to the right file much more reliably and quickly than Alfred, Spotlight or the Finder window. I also have its big brother program, Houdah Spot, which is good if you need really fine grained searches, but for most situations, this is what I go to and it gets the job done.
So much better than finder
I have a lot of files on my computer and Google Drive. With finder it takes time to find and then gives me tons of irrelevant stuff. Tembo 2 is REALLY quick and it organizes the results into categories. It saves me so much time and finds stuff that I knew was there but Finder could not find it. Apply should buy this company and make it standard on their operating system.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.