A movie lover’s dream, the Criterion Channel offers classics and discoveries from around the world, thematically programmed with special features, on a streaming service brought to you by the Criterion Collection.
With constantly refreshed selections of Hollywood, international, art-house, and independent movies, plus access to Criterion’s entire streaming library of more than 1,000 important classic and contemporary films, there’s something new to choose from every day of the week on the Criterion Channel. Start with Sunday Spotlights on directors, stars, genres, and themes; Tuesday’s Short + Feature; or the Friday double bill. Try out our 15-minute-a-month film school, Observations on Film Art, or choose from suggestions by friends like Barry Jenkins, Guillermo del Toro, or Mira Nair. Go deep with the Criterion Collection’s archive of special features for context that no other service can match.
- The Criterion Collection’s streaming library, including many complete editions released on Blu-ray and DVD, as well as unreleased titles
- Ongoing programs of Hollywood, international, art-house, independent, documentary, and short films, including thematic programming, director and star retrospectives, and guest-curated series
- Original Criterion Channel series such as Observations on Film Art, Adventures in Moviegoing, and Art-House America
- Supplemental features to deepen your appreciation of the art of film, including audio commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, scholarly analyses, introductions, new and archival interviews, and trailers
To access all features and content you can subscribe to The Criterion Channel on a monthly or yearly basis with an auto-renewing subscription right inside the app.* Pricing can vary by region and will be confirmed before purchase in the app. In app subscriptions will automatically renew at the end of their cycle.
* All payments will be paid through your iTunes Account and may be managed under Account Settings after the initial payment. Subscription payments will automatically renew unless deactivated at least 24-hours before the end of the current cycle. Your account will be charged for renewal at least 24-hours prior to the end of the current cycle. Any unused portion of your free trial will be forfeited upon payment. Cancellations are incurred by disabling auto-renewal.
Terms of Service: https://criterionchannel.vhx.tv/tos
Ratings and Reviews
Nothing quite like it!
The Criterion Channel boasts an impressive array of over one thousand classic, cult, foreign, and hard to find titles. There is so much content to be found here and so much of it not found anywhere else. Having never used Filmstruck when it was around, this is a literal godsend.
The service is seamless and the app is incredibly easy to navigate. While SO many other streaming services use algorithms to “personalize” your experience, Criterion offers full curation in a very user friendly and adventurous way. I’ve already found myself building a fairly large list based on their Adventures in Moviegoing lists and am excited to see how their guest collections evolve over time!
Recommended for anyone looking to expand their film knowledge or get immersed into classic film in a new way.
Need better search
The quality of the video is good and stable. Unfortunately the Search function is a real disappointment. I would like a search or filter option where I can browse movies by Director or country. This is how the old FilmStruck app worked.
The service claims we have access to thousands of films but it doesn’t look like it when I scroll through the browse section. If we were able to view or search the same way we could in FilmStruck app, it would be easier to discover new films instead of searching for anything, and being disappointed that it doesn’t exist. Please bring back a similar browse/search function that existed in the FilmStruck app. Not just on iPhone app but also on appleTV and website.
Aside from that I am happy with the service.
EXACTLY WHAT WE NEEDED
Like so many others I felt desolated when Filmstruck was shuttered—this great canon of films, pushed aside for a supposedly more profitable channel like...roller derby, perhaps? But to their great credit, the visionaries and believers at Criterion have built this new service from the ashes, and they’ve done it quickly and really really well—the debut feels remarkably mature and polished. Exactly what content will be available when, and what additional features will become baked in, I suppose time and demand will tell—but even if the library isn’t yet quite as deep as Filmstruck’s, this is a great and almost limitlessly fascinating gift: from lovers of cinema to lovers of cinema. I urge everyone interested in film art to support it.
- The Criterion Collection, Inc.
- 108.6 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2019 The Criterion Collection, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Criterion Channel Subscription $10.99
- Criterion Channel Subscription $99.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.