An interactive text and audio app that explores Native American themes of cultural heritage, based on questions my children have about their Cherokee, Mohawk and Italian background. It allows the user to explore those issues her or himself by writing custom texts and integrating them into the app experience. These custom texts are triggered by the user tapping on the screen.
The World That Surrounds You Wants Your Death is the eight and final work in the P.o.E.M.M. (Poem for Excitable [Mobile] Media) series.
To find out more, please visit www.poemm.net, send an email to email@example.com or look for the #poemm Twitter tag.
- TOUCH: touch the screen to read the text by making new words appear as well as trigger new audio compositions. These words come in two streams, one on the left side of the screen and one on the right side.
- CUSTOMIZE: write your own texts by double-tapping in the bottom right or bottom left corner to activate the information panel. From there, choose “Custom Texts” at the bottom of the panel. Type in a title, hit enter, type in your text, and press “Publish”. It will now be YOUR text that gets activated by touching. You can enter multiple texts, and choose between them.
- SWIPE: swipe right to increase the speed of the falling text; swipe left to decrease the speed of the falling text.
- DRAG: drag the new words to modify their trajectories.
- DOUBLE-TAP: double-tap in the bottom right or bottom left corner to activate the information screen.
- SHARE: share the work using your device’s Facebook, Twitter or email accounts by choosing the ‘share’ button on the information screen.
Programming by Serge Maheu from original code by Bruno Nadeau.
Original Musical Score by Paul Dolden.
Based on the NextText architecture
- Added full iOS 11 support.
Ratings and Reviews
The audio effects surprised me as I was tapping the screen. It's complex and draws on more than the visual.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.