By THX Ltd.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
THX tune-up (TM) allows you to properly adjust your TV, projector and speakers, helping you get the most out of your entertainment system.
NOTE: Before you download and get started, please read the "Additional Requirements" & "Connection to TV/AVR" sections below to ensure enjoyment and proper use. For a video preview of the THX tune-up app, check out the THX YouTube http://bit.ly/X9h5rbchannel at YouTube.com/THXVids.
• Supported iOS devices: iPhone 4, 4S, 5; iPad, 2, 3, 4 & Mini; iPod Touch 4 & 5; iOS 5.1.1 or later
• If using Apple TV, must be 3rd gen version 5.1.1 or later
• iPhone 4 & iPod Touch 4 are not supported by Apple TV; must use AV adapter & HDMI cable connection to TV or AVR for picture adjustment (720p only)
• For 5.1 audio tests, iOS device must be directly connected to AVR with adapter & HDMI cable (5.1 audio tests are not supported on Apple TV)
• App is optimized for iOS 5.1.1 or later for 4S & 5, iPad 2, 3, 4 & Mini, & iPod Touch 5 with an HDMI adapter & cable directly connected to TV or AVR
Connection to TV/AVR
• HDMI cable at least 2 meters (6 ft) & Cat 2-certified
• 30-pin Apple Digital AV Adapter for iPad 2 & 3, iPhone 4 & 4S, & iPod Touch 4
• Lightning Digital AV Adapter for iPhone 5, iPad 4 & Mini, & iPod Touch 5
• Apple TV (3 gen) for picture adjustments is compatible with iPhone 4S & 5, iPad 2, 3, 4 & Mini, & iPod Touch 5
• Connect iOS device via Airplay to your Apple TV (3rd gen) & turn Mirroring ON
THX tune-up features custom video test patterns, carefully selected photos and tutorials to help adjust and confirm the best picture settings on your display based on room lighting. Using special audio tests, THX tune-up also lets you check external speakers to make sure they are working in phase and are connected properly for 2-channel stereo or 5.1 sound systems.
THX tune-up is completely interactive — go through it at your own pace, in any order. Connect a supported iOS device to the display or sound system with an HDMI adapter & cable, or via AirPlay with Apple TV (3rd gen).
Locate the adjustment buttons on your TV and AVR remote controls and then follow the THX app tutorials which walk you through your “THX tune-up.” The app offers tips about your remote control, room lighting, viewing distance and other helpful advice.
• Aspect ratio – ensure your TV displays shapes & sizes correctly
• Brightness – make certain shadow details & night scenes are clearly visible
• Contrast – confirm white detail is distinct on your television
• Color – make sure colors are bright & vibrant but not cartoonish
• Tint – check skin tones look natural & are not too green or red
THX tune-up uses your iOS device’s camera to set color and tint with a special built in color filter. Point the device camera at the TV screen and see if the color or tint is adjusted correctly.
• Speaker assignment – ensure speakers are connected to the correct AVR output & intended sound is coming from the correct speaker
• Speaker phase – confirm that positive & negative speaker wires are connected correctly and all speakers are in phase
• Turn “moo can” on & tilt your device to hear it “moo”
• Play extraordinary THX trailers (just like in THX Certified cinemas) to show off your newly tuned TV & sound system to friends and family
• Show off your audio system by playing “THX Deep Note” in 5.1 surround sound, just like in the theater
• Have a question for THX or just want to provide feedback? Ask Tex!
This app is not a professional calibration tool and is not intended to replace an in-home professional calibration.
What's New in Version 1.0.3
- Fix for camera filter crash.
- Update Airplay instructions for iOS 7 devices.
At first I didn't think this would do much but boy was I wrong. Easy instructions and pictures. My tv image looks amazing now and I can see what I'm missing. My tv is less than a year old (Sony) and I had the picture adjustments all wrong. FIOS and Xbox One looks so much better. Glad I had a Apple TV to do this. Recommend you try this with your TV took less than 20 mins and didn't pay a dime.
This app is just great simply put!! Perfect for any home theater novice or expert everything you need to calibrate your system in the palm of your hands!!
Needs more options
Not all receivers and projectors are in the selection. Needs option for 7.2 surround sound.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Mar 15, 2014
- Version: 1.0.3
- Size: 114 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: THX Ltd.
- THX tune-up™, © 2013 THX Ltd.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPod touch (4th generation), and iPod touch (5th generation). This app is optimized for iPhone 5.