This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
A project of the Aikaterini Laskaridis Foundation
A new way of experiencing Europe’s most ancient literary culture, implanted in its unforgettable landscape.
ToposText is a new interface that links readers and travelers to Europe’s most ancient literary culture and to the Greek landscape that inspired it. TT presents 5000 places relevant to the ancient Greek world -- ancient cities and shrines, medieval castles and towers, modern museums and excavation sites -- primarily in Greece but including major places from Spain to the Caucasus. It links those places to the ancient authors who wrote about them in Greek or Latin. A large classical library married to an up-to-date gazetteer, freely available as a mobile application or this web site.
Education / Reference Tool:
- Accurate coordinates for thousands of Greek historical sites
- Each site indexed to the ancient literary sources that mention it.
- A huge, free, portable library of classical texts in English
- Texts and places stored on-device – no internet access necessary.
- Location-aware display of site information.
- Recent archaeological information on many sites.
What's New in Version 2.0.1
Thirty new or expanded texts, the key sources for Republican Rome through the Middle Empire: Livy (with epitomes of the missing books), Tacitus, Horace etc. Now 642 ancient texts, 14 million words, with 249,000 tagged place names and 387,000 tagged instances of 10,500 proper names. We are up to 6262 ancient places with lots of improved coordinates and descriptions. Added credits to modern descriptions and a new info text!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Sep 11, 2017
- Version: 2.0.1
- Size: 335 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Pavla S.A.
- © 2016 Aikaterini Laskaridis Foundation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.