Tutanota – the open source end-to-end encrypted email app.
The open source app Tutanota enables you to send end-to-end encrypted emails to anybody with a tip of your finger. Even emails that are being sent without end-to-end encryption and all your contacts are stored encrypted on the Tutanota servers.
Only you with your password have access to your encrypted data, profiling is impossible. Tutanota combines security with ease-of-use so that everybody can use end-to-end encryption. Now you can take back your privacy easily!
- Register your free Tutanota account with 1 GB of free storage.
- Choose your email address from the supported domains @tutanota.com, @tutanota.de, @tutamail.com, @tuta.io and @keemail.me.
- Send and receive end-to-end encrypted emails to anybody, to other Tutanota users automatically and to external users secured with a password.
- Send and receive old-fashioned emails (not end-to-end encrypted). Even these emails are stored encrypted on the Tutanota servers.
- Subject, content and attachments are automatically encrypted.
- Supports push notifications when receiving new emails.
- Auto-complete contact names as you type from your Tutanota or your phone contacts.
- Tutanota is open source so that anyone can verify its security by auditing the code.
The Tutanota app asks for very few permissions to keep your level of privacy to a maximum:
- Full network access: Used to send and receive emails.
- Receive data from the internet: To notify you when you receive a new email.
- View network connections: To find out if an internet connection exists.
- Read your contacts: This enables you to select recipients from your phone's contacts.
- Read from SD card: To allow adding of attachments from the SD card to emails.
- Control vibration: To notify you when you receive a new email.
- Deactivate sleeping mode: To notify you when you receive a new email.
This distribution includes cryptographic software. The country in which you currently reside may have restrictions on the import, possession, use, and/or re-export to another country, of encryption software. BEFORE using any encryption software, please check your country's laws, regulations and policies concerning the import, possession, or use, and re-export of encryption software, to see if this is permitted. Seehttp://www.wassenaar.org/ for more information.
The U.S. Government Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), has classified this software as Export Commodity Control Number (ECCN) 5D002.C.1, which includes information security software using or performing cryptographic functions with asymmetric algorithms. The form and manner of this distribution makes it eligible for export under the License Exception ENC Technology Software Unrestricted (TSU) exception (see the BIS Export Administration Regulations, Section 740.13) for both object code and source code.
- Reset of password and second factors
- Marking of official Tutanota support mails
- Search indexing improvements
- Make storing encrypted IP-addresses opt-in
- Friendlier image placeholder
- Suggest saving draft only if it was changed
- Switch start and end date in search period
- Add search field to long dropdowns
- Multiselect in search
- Fix temporary file cleanup
- Fix multiple notification sounds on some devices
- Fix selecting recipient suggestion
Ratings and Reviews
Definitely needs improvements
I normally don’t write reviews but i felt that it was time to share my voice on Tutanota. First of all, I do love the fact that it’s a secure email however there are some flaws. First, I’d like to point out that when I get email on Tutanota, the app shows a number 1 on my iPhone regardless if I have 1 email or 20. I would love to see this issue get fixed.
Secondly, when you are on the Tutanota app, if you slide an email to the left, it should allow you to delete it. Sometimes when I slide emails that I no longer want to the left, it “bounces” back and I have to try again until the email deletes. This is rather annoying.
Thirdly, there is no option to “search your email”. For better organizing and storage, it would be truly helpful to search your messages by sender, message phrases, etc, especially when you are paying Tutanota to have an entire gigabyte of email, which to some people is a lot of mail.
Fourthly, in the spam folder, i have to move some emails to the inbox. Tutanota does not give me an option that I have seen to declare them as a “safe email” or “not spam”.
I really like having a secure email and I do like Tutanota. I just know that they could seriously improve their service, get rid of the bugs and add some good features to make things easier on their customers and users. That is why I gave Tutanota 3 stars.
Thanks for your feedback. #1 is planned for the coming months, #2 thanks for the notice, we'll see how we can improve this! #3 please check again, search is already possible since the last update, #4 you can whitelist addresses/domains: https://tutanota.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/780147-how-can-i-configure-spam-detection-rules-configur
Love it with one exception..
I really love this app BUT there is one thing I absolutely dislike about it - the delete function. You have to swipe, hold and then release for it to delete. I understand this may be a safety measure to ensure you don’t delete anything accidentally but it’s very clunky and unnecessary. I could just as easily go recover it from trash and would rather do so. I have to attempt to delete an email 3-5 times before it actually does, I swipe and hold and it constantly just slides out from under my finger even if I’m trying to hold it in place so that I have to keep trying until it finally deletes. I spend more time trying to delete emails than anything else. I absolutely HATE the delete function. If not for that I’d rate 5 stars for sure.
Thanks for your feedback, we plan to improve this with a future update.
Could Be Better
Some emails don't resize to phone screen; I sometimes have to scroll left-right to read the email.
And when looking at the inbox list, I try to pull the list down to refresh and detect new email. Doesn't seem to refresh. I could be wrong, but that'd be a nice feature if not there already.
Thanks for your feedback, we plan to improve resizing of emails soon. As to refresh: This is not necessary as new emails arrive instantly in your mailbox. When you pull down and there is no new email, there simply is no new email.
- Tutao GmbH
- 13.2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Bengali, Bosnian, Breton, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Norwegian, Occitan, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tajik, Tamil, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Welsh, Yoruba
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018, Tutao GmbH
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.