By The Soulmen GbR
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
“The app is amazing. An absolute delight to use. Well done.” – David Hewson, Bestselling Author
*Best of Mac App Store 2013*
Ulysses for Mac is your one-stop writing environment on OS X. Whether you’re a novelist, a journalist, a student or a blogger – if you love to write and write a lot, Ulysses gives you a uniquely streamlined toolset, covering every phase of the writing process:
- A powerful, yet simple text editor.
- A familiar, no-nonsense text library.
- A comprehensive and truly flexible multi-format export.
Of course, the heart and soul of a writing app is its editor. And Ulysses is said to have the best text editor in the world. It offers everything you need – from markup to images and footnotes, from links to comments and code –, and it still manages to stay completely out of the way. It’s a beautiful and focused experience, which turns the every-day chore of writing into *actual fun*.
But since Ulysses takes writing seriously, it does not stop at the editor. Its unified library offers unprecedented access to everything you’ll ever write, be it snippets and ideas, be it blog posts or manuscripts. Every text is at your fingertips, and Ulysses perfectly scales from scratchpad to diary to Great American Novels – and to everything in-between.
Once you’re finished, export is only a click away. Ulysses can transform your text into beautiful PDFs, web pages, standard e-books and Word documents. You can copy as HTML or save to the cloud as Markdown. Export is as easy as selecting a format, selecting a style, and selecting a destination. Yes, 1-2-3.
Best of all, Ulysses offers fully-fledged, no-holds-barred, all-out iCloud sync. Ulysses is available for both Mac and iPad, and every connected device has access to everything and anything you’ll ever write. Synchronization is simple, seamless and neither requires third-party apps, nor any kind of interaction. If you got iCloud, you got sync.
### ASSORTED QUOTES ###
„It’s hard to imagine a better experience on any platform.” – Macworld
“Welcome to the future of writing.” – Cult of Mac
“An excellent value for anyone who wants to become a better, more efficient writer.” – The Sweet Setup
### FEATURES ###
Focus & Concentration
- Markup-based text editor
- Clean, distraction free interface
- Typewriter Scrolling
- Light and dark fullscreen modes
Write & Edit
- Simple markup for headlines, lists, comments, quotes, important passages and more
- Easy insertion of links, annotations and footnotes
- Drag‘n’drop placement of images with live preview
- Option to attach keywords, notes and images
- Smart Copy & Paste
- Search & Replace
- Spell check, grammar check, auto correction & dictionary
- Dictation & Speech support
- Writing goals (characters, words, pages etc.)
- Comprehensive text statistics
File & Organize
- A single library for all texts
- Sorting by date, by title or manually
- Groups, intelligent filters, favorites
- Full iCloud synchronization
- Automatic versioning and version control
- Automatic, scheduled backup of you text library
- Import and editing of text files from external folders
- Global search
Export & Processing
- Export as PDF, DOCX, TXT, Markdown, HTML and ePub
- Live preview, send as email
- Pre-selected styles for export
- Edit and create styles via CSS, share via Ulysses Style Exchange
- Share files via Dropbox
User Interface & Navigation
- Designed for OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- Simple, three-paned layout (library, sheet list, editor)
- Option to hide library and sheet list
- Functional markup bar (aka cheat sheet)
- Full keyboard navigation
- Easy text navigation via structure and bookmarks
- Light and dark editor modes
- Hand picked color palettes, easy customization
and so much more…
### SUPPORT ###
Please visit http://www.ulyssesapp.com for more information. You can also reach us via firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @ulyssesapp – we’re happily awaiting your feedback!
What's New in Version 2.1
## Ulysses for Mac 2.1 – The Backup Release
- Export Ulysses groups or sheets as DOCX files
- Open in Microsoft Word or Pages
- Automatic backup of your text library (iCloud, On My Mac and Daedalus)
- Hourly backup for the last 12 hours of work
- Daily backup for the last 7 days of work
- Weekly backup for the last 6 months of work
- Restore single sheets or entire groups
- You can now convert the Markup of multiple sheets at once
- Modification date is kept when importing, moving or copying sheets
- Added printing from Markdown Preview
- Text can now be dragged from editor to attachments to create a new note
- Added ⌘D (command-D) as shortcut for marking a sheet as favorite
- Now uses correct markup after splitting sheets
- Fixed a number of bugs and crashes
If you’re happy with Ulysses for Mac, please rate it in the App Store or even leave a review. It really makes a huge difference. Thanks.
Please be aware that we are not able to reply to App Store reviews. Should you experience any kind of problem with the app, please don’t hesitate to email us at email@example.com – we’re happy to help.
Do not buy this! READ THIS
I'm not writing this because I never bothered to spend the time to learn the intracies of the app, no, I've learned way too much about it thanks to a conversation I had with the author of the software. The app kept crashing badly so I wrote the author. He replied that Ulysses was never designed for large amounts of text. I told him that I was a writer and a novel _starts_ at 40,000 words. If I can't get half that into the document, it's worthless to me. He replied that Ulysses is a note-taking app only. I had to drop it immediately. Serious writers with lots of text need not apply. A recent update also got rid of all the standards-based files (like RTF) and now it saves everything in proprietary Microsoft DOCX. If you need to read the "standard text" files you create with it, you need to purchase an Office 365 licence. How sick is this?! Do not buy this garbage. If you want a similar product that saves files in standards-based formats, doesn't crash when you write hundreds of thousands of words and is a lot cheaper, get Write. That's what I moved to. I couldn't be happier. This title is beyond useless. Save your money.
Fiction writers: this is perfect
Ulysses is an elegant writing environment designed to handle ALL your writings. If an application is defined as a set of decisions made by the developers, then this nearly perfect app can be understood as a long series of great (design) decisions made by the Soulmen. It’s a plain-text editor that looks better than any other writing environment I know of. It gives you the tools to change colors and fonts and mark-up specifics through an intuitive, singular preferences window. It excels at full-screen.
I’ve contacted the developers twice requesting (very specific, fringe-case) features, and both times they got back to me within 24 hours, and both times they were able to say, it’s on its way!
Easily the most versatile, scalable, and aesthetically pleasing writing environment on the mac (and iPad!)
My favorite writing app
There’s not a lot to say here. It’s a great app and a joy to use. iCloud syncing between OS X and iOS “just works”, and the new DOCX exporter and automatic local backups are very nice to have. This is a no-nonsense writing environment. No mucking about with files. Just write.
No app is perfect, though. The following feature omissions prevent Ulysses from getting five stars from me. I wish it had an easier way of managing export styles (their custom CSS is very powerful, but tweaking a style to make it just the way you want can be a bit tedious). I also wish that the eBook export was a bit more robust (such as exporting certain front matter materials and supporting MOBI format). Finally, I really want a “daily goal” feature in addition to the goal-setting optiosn already present.