By The Soulmen GbR
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
“The app is amazing. An absolute delight to use. Well done.” – David Hewson, Bestselling Author
++ Best of App Store 2015 ++ Best of App Store 2013 ++
Ulysses for Mac is your one-stop writing environment on OS X. Whether you’re a novelist, a journalist, a student or a blogger – if you love to write and write a lot, Ulysses gives you a uniquely streamlined toolset, covering every phase of the writing process:
- A powerful, yet simple text editor.
- A familiar, no-nonsense text library.
- A comprehensive and truly flexible multi-format export.
Of course, the heart and soul of a writing app is its editor. And Ulysses is said to have the best text editor in the world. It offers everything you need – from markup to images and footnotes, from links to comments and code –, and it still manages to stay completely out of the way. It’s a beautiful and focused experience, which turns the every-day chore of writing into *actual fun*.
But since Ulysses takes writing seriously, it does not stop at the editor. Its unified library offers unprecedented access to everything you’ll ever write, be it snippets and ideas, be it blog posts or manuscripts. Every text is at your fingertips, and Ulysses perfectly scales from scratchpad to diary to Great American Novels – and to everything in-between.
Once you’re finished, export is only a click away. Ulysses can transform your text into beautiful PDFs, web pages, standard e-books and Word documents. You can copy as HTML or save to the cloud as Markdown. Export is as easy as selecting a format, selecting a style, and selecting a destination. Yes, 1-2-3.
Best of all, Ulysses offers fully-fledged, no-holds-barred, all-out iCloud sync. Ulysses is available for both Mac and iPad, and every connected device has access to everything and anything you’ll ever write. Synchronization is simple, seamless and neither requires third-party apps, nor any kind of interaction. If you got iCloud, you got sync.
### ASSORTED QUOTES ###
„It’s hard to imagine a better experience on any platform.” – Macworld
“Welcome to the future of writing.” – Cult of Mac
“An excellent value for anyone who wants to become a better, more efficient writer.” – The Sweet Setup
### FEATURES ###
Focus & Concentration
- Markup-based text editor
- Clean, distraction free interface
- Typewriter Scrolling
- Light and dark fullscreen modes
Write & Edit
- Simple markup for headlines, lists, comments, quotes, important passages and more
- Easy insertion of links, annotations and footnotes
- Drag‘n’drop placement of images with live preview
- Option to attach keywords, notes and images
- Smart Copy & Paste
- Search & Replace
- Spell check, grammar check, auto correction & dictionary
- Dictation & Speech support
- Writing goals (characters, words, pages etc.)
- Comprehensive text statistics
File & Organize
- A single library for all texts
- Sorting by date, by title or manually
- Groups, intelligent filters, favorites
- Full iCloud synchronization
- Automatic versioning and version control
- Automatic, scheduled backup of you text library
- Import and editing of text files from external folders
- Global search
Export & Processing
- Export as PDF, DOCX, TXT, Markdown, HTML and ePub
- Live preview, send as email
- Pre-selected styles for export
- Edit and create styles via CSS, share via Ulysses Style Exchange
- Share files via Dropbox
User Interface & Navigation
- Designed for OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- Simple, three-paned layout (library, sheet list, editor)
- Option to hide library and sheet list
- Functional markup bar (aka cheat sheet)
- Full keyboard navigation
- Easy text navigation via structure and bookmarks
- Light and dark editor modes
- Hand picked color palettes, easy customization
and so much more…
### SUPPORT ###
Please visit http://www.ulyssesapp.com for more information. You can also reach us via firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @ulyssesapp – we’re happily awaiting your feedback!
What's New in Version 2.2.1
In our never-ending quest to build the greatest text editor the world has ever seen, we bring you, ladies and gentlemen, the greatest fixes for the most annoying issues:
- Small screen owners rejoice: We’ve reworked the behavior of the sidebars to perform much better in Split View and in smaller windows.
- We’ve fixed an issue that would hinder Ulysses from starting and required you to do a re-install.
- The toolbar buttons in Export Preview no longer grow out of the window when typing in the editor.
- We have made the loupe icon up to 34% thinner.
- Page numbers are no longer printed upside down when printing from the Editor.
- Authenticating Medium accounts without profile pictures no longer fails.
- Sheet table no longer disappears while trying to type a search. And you can close it with a shortcut now.
- Last but not least, we’ve fixed a couple of visual glitches and improved blah blah blah. Oh, you’re still reading? Cool, how about this:
If you're happy with the app, please rate it or even leave a review on the Mac App Store. This is the best way you can support us indie developers. Thanks!
Greatest Writing Experience I’ve Had
I must say, Ulysses’s dark fullscreen mode looks fantastic on a Space Grey 12” MacBook. The colors compliment the body of the laptop perfectly and when combined with the wonderful new keyboard (I know, not everyone agrees) Ulysses makes my MacBook the best writing instrument I’ve ever used.
Using Ulysses’s markdown features may seem a little odd at first coming from a rich text editor, but I like that my work is essentially all plaintext. It makes it feel more portable, and there are plenty of export options to get it into different formats and layouts. WYSIWYG may be great for creating a phamphlet or even writing a school report, but the seperation of the written words from the final format feels great for more serious, lengthy writing.
I also purchased the iPad app so I can do some writing when I’ve only brought my tablet with me, which I do from time to time. The iOS version is just as fully featured as the Mac version which is very impressive.
Elegant tool for professional marketing writers...
As the chief marketing wrtiting for two million dollar websites, pounding out 5,000+ words a week, Ulysses is a god send. Especially the folder systems and synch between mac and macbook air. Also love how I can create email marketing funnels with 30+ emails, and bounce between each one in an eye blink. I especailly LOVE using ULY in split screen mode on my desktop when I reviwing notes, referrence material, or research. The simple design, and marks down keeps me wirting instead of fussing with formatting. When I had my ipad I used Daeldius and really loved the elegance and smart synching there too. No matater what Mac device you sue, If you write, and write a lot... there is no more elegant workshorse to ride your writing project on across the finish line.
gorgeous and well thought out
I find Ulysses to be a really beautiful, intuitive and non-distracting writing environment. I consider it the “home base” for all the creative writing I do, from brainstorming all the way through final versions. Great design that looks and feels simple and intuitive on the surface, but packs a lot of well thought-out features that stay out of your way until you need them.
All your files are in plain text, so you’re not locked into Ulysses forever. The only thing missing is support for Fountain so it can handle screenplays as well — Fountain being a plain text-based format like Markdown, I’d think this would be a very natural fit.
iCloud syncing is still problematic sometimes (I have occasional glitches that render Ulysses unable to read *any* of my work until I reset iCloud by logging out and back in. But that may well be an iCloud issue — and you can always choose to sync via Dropbox (or nothing at all) if you prefer.
I still think the butterfly icon is creepy, though, and have been pasting the old U-shaped one in for a while now.