By The Soulmen GbR
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
“The app is amazing. An absolute delight to use. Well done.” – David Hewson, Bestselling Author
*Best of Mac App Store 2013*
Ulysses for Mac is your one-stop writing environment on OS X. Whether you’re a novelist, a journalist, a student or a blogger – if you love to write and write a lot, Ulysses gives you a uniquely streamlined toolset, covering every phase of the writing process:
- A powerful, yet simple text editor.
- A familiar, no-nonsense text library.
- A comprehensive and truly flexible multi-format export.
Of course, the heart and soul of a writing app is its editor. And Ulysses is said to have the best text editor in the world. It offers everything you need – from markup to images and footnotes, from links to comments and code –, and it still manages to stay completely out of the way. It’s a beautiful and focused experience, which turns the every-day chore of writing into *actual fun*.
But since Ulysses takes writing seriously, it does not stop at the editor. Its unified library offers unprecedented access to everything you’ll ever write, be it snippets and ideas, be it blog posts or manuscripts. Every text is at your fingertips, and Ulysses perfectly scales from scratchpad to diary to Great American Novels – and to everything in-between.
Once you’re finished, export is only a click away. Ulysses can transform your text into beautiful PDFs, web pages, standard e-books and Word documents. You can copy as HTML or save to the cloud as Markdown. Export is as easy as selecting a format, selecting a style, and selecting a destination. Yes, 1-2-3.
Best of all, Ulysses offers fully-fledged, no-holds-barred, all-out iCloud sync. Ulysses is available for both Mac and iPad, and every connected device has access to everything and anything you’ll ever write. Synchronization is simple, seamless and neither requires third-party apps, nor any kind of interaction. If you got iCloud, you got sync.
### ASSORTED QUOTES ###
„It’s hard to imagine a better experience on any platform.” – Macworld
“Welcome to the future of writing.” – Cult of Mac
“An excellent value for anyone who wants to become a better, more efficient writer.” – The Sweet Setup
### FEATURES ###
Focus & Concentration
- Markup-based text editor
- Clean, distraction free interface
- Typewriter Scrolling
- Light and dark fullscreen modes
Write & Edit
- Simple markup for headlines, lists, comments, quotes, important passages and more
- Easy insertion of links, annotations and footnotes
- Drag‘n’drop placement of images with live preview
- Option to attach keywords, notes and images
- Smart Copy & Paste
- Search & Replace
- Spell check, grammar check, auto correction & dictionary
- Dictation & Speech support
- Writing goals (characters, words, pages etc.)
- Comprehensive text statistics
File & Organize
- A single library for all texts
- Sorting by date, by title or manually
- Groups, intelligent filters, favorites
- Full iCloud synchronization
- Automatic versioning and version control
- Automatic, scheduled backup of you text library
- Import and editing of text files from external folders
- Global search
Export & Processing
- Export as PDF, DOCX, TXT, Markdown, HTML and ePub
- Live preview, send as email
- Pre-selected styles for export
- Edit and create styles via CSS, share via Ulysses Style Exchange
- Share files via Dropbox
User Interface & Navigation
- Designed for OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- Simple, three-paned layout (library, sheet list, editor)
- Option to hide library and sheet list
- Functional markup bar (aka cheat sheet)
- Full keyboard navigation
- Easy text navigation via structure and bookmarks
- Light and dark editor modes
- Hand picked color palettes, easy customization
and so much more…
### SUPPORT ###
Please visit http://www.ulyssesapp.com for more information. You can also reach us via email@example.com or on Twitter @ulyssesapp – we’re happily awaiting your feedback!
What's New in Version 2.1.1
- DOCX export now supports changing character spacing and setting highlight colors
- PDF export got an option to enable justification of lines ending with line breaks
- Splitting sheets now keeps focus in Editor
- Sheets can also be split at the very beginning or end
- Tags of heading levels 4-6 are laid out correctly again
- Solved several interface glitches when browsing backups
- Quite a few minor bugs and crashes are a also thing of the past. Yay!
Thank you all for making Ulysses 2.1 such a great release for us – please keep the feedback coming! If you’re happy with Ulysses, please rate it on the Mac App Store or leave a review. Thanks!
Great Writing Application. Unreliable syncing.
I'm a PhD student finishing my dissertation and do a significant amount of writing. This is a great application for that, and I very much enjoy its simplicity and clean design as well as excellent searching, tagging, and word count features.
It's also great that this application uses a standard text-based file format to enable use outside of the application itself. For example, I've managed to set up a good workflow to export markdown files from Ulysses and then process them using pandoc in order to get features like references, and have closer control over PDF generation through LaTeX.
However, the use of iCloud to sync files across devices is a serious problem for the application's reliability. I have lost pieces of writing on more than one occasion in struggles with iCloud, and so I cannot recommend using this feature. Unfortunately, you cannot use external file sync solutions (like Dropbox) with all of the Ulysses features. Only editing local files or files stored on iCloud enables things like custom markdown syntax.
If you want a great standalone writing app for your computer, this is hard to beat. If you expect to reliably sync your files across multiple computers (or a computer + iPad), this is not a good choice.
Ulysses is fantastic
I work on a lot of different projects for clients and I’m a freelance writer, and I’ve been looking for an app like Ulysses. I don’t like organizing files in simple folders anymore, I’ve wanted stuff like Favorites to have quick access to current projects and I love the ability to set custom icons for groups to find them easier.
The Markdown support is great too. There’s lots of wonderful little polish all over the place. Plus, I’m writing on my iPad much more often lately, so I immediately bought the new Ulysses for iPad too.
Ulysses is just fantastic all around. Get it. Seriously.
I am rewriting my previous five star comment.
This is where I want to do all my writing, period. The updates give good energy.