By The Soulmen GbR
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
“The app is amazing. An absolute delight to use. Well done.” – David Hewson, Bestselling Author
*Best of Mac App Store 2013*
Ulysses for Mac is your one-stop writing environment on OS X. Whether you’re a novelist, a journalist, a student or a blogger – if you love to write and write a lot, Ulysses gives you a uniquely streamlined toolset, covering every phase of the writing process:
- A powerful, yet simple text editor.
- A familiar, no-nonsense text library.
- A comprehensive and truly flexible multi-format export.
Of course, the heart and soul of a writing app is its editor. And Ulysses is said to have the best text editor in the world. It offers everything you need – from markup to images and footnotes, from links to comments and code –, and it still manages to stay completely out of the way. It’s a beautiful and focused experience, which turns the every-day chore of writing into *actual fun*.
But since Ulysses takes writing seriously, it does not stop at the editor. Its unified library offers unprecedented access to everything you’ll ever write, be it snippets and ideas, be it blog posts or manuscripts. Every text is at your fingertips, and Ulysses perfectly scales from scratchpad to diary to Great American Novels – and to everything in-between.
Once you’re finished, export is only a click away. Ulysses can transform your text into beautiful PDFs, web pages, standard e-books and Rich Text documents. You can copy as HTML or save to the cloud as Markdown. Export is as easy as selecting a format, selecting a style, and selecting a destination. Yes, 1-2-3.
Best of all, Ulysses offers fully-fledged, no-holds-barred, all-out iCloud sync. Ulysses is available for both Mac and iPad, and every connected device has access to everything and anything you’ll ever write. Synchronization is simple, seamless and neither requires third-party apps, nor any kind of interaction. If you got iCloud, you got sync.
### ASSORTED QUOTES ###
“Welcome to the future of writing.” – Cult of Mac
“It’s the one app modern writers need.” – MacAppStorm
“An impressive text-editing powerhouse” – The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)
### FEATURES ###
Focus & Concentration
- Markup-based text editor
- Clean, distraction free interface
- Typewriter Scrolling
- Light and dark fullscreen modes
Write & Edit
- Simple markup for headlines, lists, comments, quotes, important passages and more
- Easy insertion of links, annotations and footnotes
- Drag’n’drop placement of images with live preview
- Option to attach keywords, notes and images
- Smart Copy & Paste
- Search & Replace
- Spell check, grammar check, auto correction & dictionary
- Dictation & Speech support
- Writing goals (characters, words, pages etc.)
- Comprehensive text statistics
File & Organize
- A single library for all texts
- Sorting by date, by title or manually
- Groups, intelligent filters, favorites
- Full iCloud synchronization
- Automatic versioning and version control
- Import and editing of text files from external folders
- Global search
Export & Processing
- Export as PDF, RTF, TXT, Markdown, HTML and ePub
- Live preview, send as email
- Pre-selected styles for export
- Edit and create styles via CSS, share via Ulysses Style Exchange
- Share files via Dropbox
User Interface & Navigation
- Designed for OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- Simple, three-paned layout (library, sheet list, editor)
- Option to hide library and sheet list
- Functional markup bar (aka cheat sheet)
- Full keyboard navigation
- Easy text navigation via structure and bookmarks
- Light and dark editor modes
- Hand picked color palettes, easy customization
and so much more…
### SUPPORT ###
Please visit http://www.ulyssesapp.com for more information. You can also reach us via firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @ulyssesapp – we’re happily awaiting your feedback!
What's New in Version 2.0.2
This update fixes a couple of late-breaking, post-release glitches. Sorry for the hassle.
Fixed in Ulysses 2.0.1:
- Paged Mode is back by popular demand
- Improved spec compliance of ePub export
- Added metadata to ePub export
- Improved visibility of interface controls in Quick Export
- Improved compatibility with “Increase Contrast” accessibility option
- Added “Copy to Clipboard” action to Export Preview
- Added number icons for groups
- Paragraph dividers are now always converted to page breaks when using the Swiss Knife and Plain & Simple export styles
- Fixed resizing of main window on small screens
- Improved startup performance
- Fixed crash when switching sheets
- Fixed crash when changing case of external filename
- Fixed crash when trying to add a sheet
- Fixed crash when trying to preview sheets in Trash
- Fixed a whole lot of small bugs and rare crashes
Thanks everybody for a fantastic launch. We’re flattered by your feedback… so please keep it coming!
Organizes highly pliable texts
The program is far distinguished and worthy of much esteem for (i) intuitive orgnaization of texts and (ii) how pliable it makes such texts. This is accomplished through the combination of features: particularly through the in-app storage in combination with the sheet ‘split’ and ‘glue/unglue’ features. These features work seamlessly in the process of arranging, re-arranging, and modifying bodies of text while nevertheless keeping them all organized. Truly an app that works for you and will catalyze rather than invade the writing process. Most highly recommended.
Hallelujah - Paged Mode is restored with the 4.24.15 update. I’m getting used to this version of the app, although Quick Export menu still requires too many clicks to accomplish exports to common programs, compared to Ulysses III. As I said previously, this is still by far the best markdown app for managing long documents. The file management database is a solid feature. Don’t be scared of it. It works, and it’s safely backed up. I access it on my Mac and iPad with no issues, and you can also dive into it and find your texts if you need them. And everything is exportable. I’m bumping my rating up to 4 stars.
Now if they can just do someting about that butterfly icon...
Here’s my prior review:
I think the update is just OK. Lots of people are gushing over it and I don’t see it.
The look and feel of the updates if inferior to Ulysses III. I miss Paged Mode, and I’m not sure why the developers would drop this feature. The new version has far too much white space, which to my eye has a significant negative impact on usability.
The Quick Export menu requires more clicks to get my text out of Ulysses. I love writing within the program, but then my copy needs to get somewhere - unfortunately that’s usually Word. It’s more of a chore to make that happen in my preferred template now than it was before.
Still the best markdown app out there for pure writing, mainly because of the file management database. But the update doesn’t seem to add much.
The icon? I don’t want to be mean. It’s not good. But there’s a trick to bringing back the old icon.
Serious problems after Spring 2015 update...
Great app, to start. But now after update application hangs and Activity Monitor says Ulysses is using 300% of CPU. Yosemite 10.10.3