By The Soulmen GbR
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
++ Apple Design Award Winner 2016 ++ Best of App Store 2015 ++ Best of App Store 2013 ++
“The app is amazing. An absolute delight to use. Well done.” – David Hewson, Bestselling Author
“It’s hard to imagine a better experience on any platform.” – Macworld
“An excellent value for anyone who wants to become a better, more efficient writer.” – The Sweet Setup
### WRITE. ANYTHING. ANYWHERE. ###
Ulysses is your one-stop writing environment on OS X. Whether you’re a novelist, a journalist, a student or a blogger – if you love to write and write a lot, Ulysses gives you a uniquely streamlined toolset, covering every phase of the writing process:
- A powerful, yet simple text editor.
- A familiar, no-nonsense text library.
- A comprehensive and truly flexible multi-format export.
Of course, the heart and soul of a writing app is its editor. And Ulysses is said to have the best text editor in the world. It offers everything you need – from markup to images and footnotes, from links to comments and code –, and it still manages to stay completely out of the way. It’s a beautiful and focused experience, which turns the every-day chore of writing into *actual fun*.
But since Ulysses takes writing seriously, it does not stop at the editor. Its unified library offers unprecedented access to everything you’ll ever write, be it snippets and ideas, be it blog posts or manuscripts. Every text is at your fingertips, and Ulysses perfectly scales from scratchpad to diary to Great American Novels – and to everything in-between.
Best of all, Ulysses offers fully-fledged, no-holds-barred, all-out iCloud sync. Ulysses is available for all your devices, be it Mac, iPad or iPhone, and every device has access to everything and anything you’ll ever write. Synchronization is simple, seamless and automatic. It neither requires third-party apps, nor any kind of interaction. If you got iCloud, you got sync.
And once you’re finished, Ulysses transforms your texts into beautiful PDFs, web pages, ebooks and Word documents. You can copy as HTML, save as Markdown, and even publish to your WordPress and Medium accounts. Export is as easy as selecting a format, choosing a style, and picking a destination. Yes, 1-2-3.
### FEATURES ###
Focus & Productivity
- Clean, distraction free interface
- Markup-based text editor
- Typewriter mode
- Minimal mode
- Writing goals (characters, words, pages etc.)
- Comprehensive text statistics
- Split View support
- Full keyboard navigation
- Fully accessible using VoiceOver
Write & Edit
- Simple markup for headlines, lists, comments, quotes, important passages and more
- Easy insertion of links, annotations and footnotes
- Drag’n’drop placement of images
- Keywords, notes and image attachments
- Smart Copy & Paste
- Search & Replace
- Spell check, grammar check, auto correction & dictionary
- Dictation & Speech support
File & Organize
- A single library for all your texts
- Groups, filters, favorites, bookmarks
- Glueing, Split & Merge
- Sorting by date, by title or manually
- Import of DOCX, Markdown and text files
- Editing of text files from external folders
- Global search, Spotlight integration
- Automatic versioning
- Automatic, scheduled backups
Export & Publishing
- Export as PDF, DOCX, RTF, TXT, Markdown, HTML and ePub
- Publish to WordPress and Medium
OS X & iOS
- Available for Mac, iPad and iPhone
- Full iCloud synchronization
and so much more…
### SUPPORT ###
Please visit ulyssesapp.com for more information. You can also reach us via email@example.com or on Twitter @ulyssesapp – we’re happily awaiting your feedback!
What's New in Version 2.6
## The Long Overdue Update
### WordPress Publishing
- Added publishing to WordPress.com and self-hosted blogs
- Publish as Markdown or HTML
- Offers post or draft, schedule, or immediate publish
- Includes excerpt, feature image, post type, slug and title link options
- Can auto-fill categories and tags based on keywords
- Can auto-fill excerpt and feature image based on note and image attachments
- Customizable preview using standard CSS
- Ulysses is now fully accessible: Utilize the whole app using VoiceOver commands
### Updates & Fixes
- Added line, sentence and paragraph focus mode
- Added searching for keywords and group names in Quick Open
- Added sheet search for keywords
- Updated iOS-style insertion point
- Improved dragging of external folders/files to other applications
- Added ability to edit color for filename tag
- Reworked sorting of markup definitions
- Improved introduction, added section on Markdown XL
- Updated some PDF/DOCX export styles
- PDF export: Reset page numbers after section breaks
- Re-added a simplified RTF exporter
- Glued sheets are again exported together
- Read fenced code blocks as Raw Source in external folders
- Fixed errors when creating backups
- Fixed crash when editing keywords of an already broken sheet
- Fixed crash when trying to register a markup for a sheet
- Fixed crash when waking Mac from sleep
- Fixed some hard-to-reproduce crashes when working with Ulysses for a longer time
- Fixed crash when working under older versions of OS X 10.10
- Sheets can now always be filtered by their filename
If you're happy with the app, please rate it, or even leave a review. This is the best way you can support us indie developers. Thanks a lot!
My favorite place to write.
Ulysses provides that sense of delight that is the main reason a lot of us stick with the Mac environment. It doesn’t do everything—sometimes I need to jump into TextMate for heavy lifting (I know the cool kids have moved to Sublime text but I just can’t move on) or use Pandoc or Marked for some post processing—but Ulysses is my favorite place to hang out and write. Organizing my writing feels really smooth and easy, I love taking notes inline that disappear on export, and not having to worry about formatting is great. It’s just the right combination of powerful and simple for my needs. I think that Ulysses competes with something like Scrivener. It is a very different take on an app that is meant to accomplish many of the same purposes. Scrivener has more features, but I find that most of the extra stuff just adds friction. They’re both great apps and they both have trial copies on their websites, so I would try them both out if you’re in the market for something that lets you write and organize text, and that is especially good for large projects like writing a novel.
I’m always looking forward to feature updates in the future that provide things like better tables support, but the app as it currently exists is my favorite writing environment.
It has Changed the Way I Write
Ulysses hits perfectly between the hack of using a standard word processor and folders to create long-form writing, such as a novel, and the too-much-to-be-worth-the-effort kitchen sink approach of Scrivener. I have become many times more productive since I started using it and it quickly, quickly, QUICKLY justified itself in terms of cost. Even when working on a screenplay, which was unexpected. I also used to use Focused, which is a great little distraction-free editor for focused writing, because it had better options than Ulysses, but with this latest update, Ulysses is now on par and I find that I no longer need the separate app (which makes me feel bad for the Focused team, but I can’t fault the Ulysses team). And thanks for allowing different setting between window and fullscreen modes, so I can keep one in light mode without highlighting for editing and the other in dark mode with sentence highlighting when I’m focused on writing. Such a small thing makes this app so much more pleasant to use. I gifted the app, both Mac & iOS, to another writer because I believe in it that much.
Thank you for making my life a little less painful.
The best editor, outstanding support
It is quite unusual for me to write a review, but Ulysses and the Soulmen have so much soul that I just wanted to publicly aknowledge it. In the (now) many years using this product, I have had two issues, and both were resolved by support within a few hours. For me, this has become the perfect example of the spirit of what indie dev should be, and what my company should aspire to be, despite having a more complex product. That said, the interface of ULysses is so simple, yet complete, to achieve seemingly complex tasks, that you can see that a huge amount of work has gone into it, from thinking to design to implementation.
I have used and abused Ulysses since its early days, and it has replaced all my editors, save Xcode. The custom CSS enables me to use Ulysses for everything: reports, letters, brochures… and export it as docx/pdf for our less tech savvy (sales) team.
Altogether, an awesome product and an awesome support team, making it one of my few must-have apps on all my devices!