Ulysses – The Ultimate Writing App
By Ulysses GmbH & Co. KG
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
++ Apple Design Award Winner 2016 ++ Best of App Store 2015 ++ Best of App Store 2013 ++
“The app is amazing. An absolute delight to use. Well done.” – David Hewson, Bestselling Author
“It’s hard to imagine a better experience on any platform.” – Macworld
“An excellent value for anyone who wants to become a better, more efficient writer.” – The Sweet Setup
### WRITE. ANYTHING. ANYWHERE. ###
Ulysses is your one-stop writing environment on OS X. Whether you’re a novelist, a journalist, a student or a blogger – if you love to write and write a lot, Ulysses gives you a uniquely streamlined toolset, covering every phase of the writing process:
- A powerful, yet simple text editor.
- A familiar, no-nonsense text library.
- A comprehensive and truly flexible multi-format export.
Of course, the heart and soul of a writing app is its editor. And Ulysses is said to have the best text editor in the world. It offers everything you need – from markup to images and footnotes, from links to comments and code –, and it still manages to stay completely out of the way. It’s a beautiful and focused experience, which turns the every-day chore of writing into *actual fun*.
But since Ulysses takes writing seriously, it does not stop at the editor. Its unified library offers unprecedented access to everything you’ll ever write, be it snippets and ideas, be it blog posts or manuscripts. Every text is at your fingertips, and Ulysses perfectly scales from scratchpad to diary to Great American Novels – and to everything in-between.
Best of all, Ulysses offers fully-fledged, no-holds-barred, all-out iCloud sync. Ulysses is available for all your devices, be it Mac, iPad or iPhone, and every device has access to everything and anything you’ll ever write. Synchronization is simple, seamless and automatic. It neither requires third-party apps, nor any kind of interaction. If you got iCloud, you got sync.
And once you’re finished, Ulysses transforms your texts into beautiful PDFs, web pages, ebooks and Word documents. You can copy as HTML, save as Markdown, and even publish to your WordPress and Medium accounts. Export is as easy as selecting a format, choosing a style, and picking a destination. Yes, 1-2-3.
### FEATURES ###
Focus & Productivity
- Clean, distraction free interface
- Markup-based text editor
- Typewriter mode
- Minimal mode
- Writing goals (characters, words, pages etc.)
- Comprehensive text statistics
- Split View support
- Full keyboard navigation
- Fully accessible using VoiceOver
Write & Edit
- Simple markup for headlines, lists, comments, quotes, important passages and more
- Easy insertion of links, annotations and footnotes
- Drag’n’drop placement of images
- Keywords, notes and image attachments
- Smart Copy & Paste
- Search & Replace
- Spell check, grammar check, auto correction & dictionary
- Dictation & Speech support
File & Organize
- A single library for all your texts
- Touch ID / password protection
- Groups, filters, favorites, bookmarks
- Glueing, Split & Merge
- Sorting by date, by title or manually
- Import of DOCX, Markdown and text files
- Editing of text files from external folders
- Global search, Spotlight integration
- Automatic versioning
- Automatic, scheduled backups
Export & Publishing
- Export as PDF, DOCX, RTF, TXT, Markdown, HTML and ePub
- Publish to WordPress and Medium
OS X & iOS
- Available for Mac, iPad and iPhone
- Full iCloud synchronization
and so much more…
### SUPPORT ###
Please visit ulyssesapp.com for more information. You can also reach us via email@example.com or on Twitter @ulyssesapp – we’re happily awaiting your feedback!
What's New in Version 2.8.3
This update fixes a few annoying bugs and prepares Ulysses for upcoming macOS releases. Happy writing!
- Fixed crash when closing popover
- Fixed crash when trying to unlock the app
- Fixed crash when creating link using Japanese input method
- Fixed crash when changing sheet using Chinese input method
- Fixed crash when changing sheet content via X-Callback-URLs
- Improved handling of WordPress blogs on HTTP domains
my home base for nearly all writing
Been using Ulysses for several years now, and it’s gradually become the home base for almost* everything I write. Artfully concealed just beneath the beautiful interface, there are lots of powerful features for writing, styling text, organizing, and exporting to other file formats like .docx, .pdf, .rtf, and so on — even some powerful web export tools. And the design of the editor and output formats is very customizable, unlike some apps (*cough* iA Writer) which have decided they know better than the end user which font and size they should be forced to use. There’s even a large gallery of user-submitted display and output styles that can be loaded into Ulysses. And any interface personlization you do is synced wtih any other Macs you have.
Sync is generally fast and reliable, and uses iCloud and/or Dropbox accounts you already have. I work regularly on two Macs and an iPhone, and always find my entire library of text completely up to date wherever I go.
Ulysses is so well organized and great to use that it makes me *want* to write, and that’s not something I’ve been able to say about very many writing apps, ever.
* the big exception is still .fountain screenplay formatting, which Ulysses still has no native way of handling
Perfect for anyone who works with words!
I’ve gone through more writing software and apps than I can count, including Scrivener, iA Writer, Evernote, MS Word and so, so many more. This is the only one that truly resonated with me. No bells, no whistles. Plain, pure writing—but enough tweaks that I can customize it to fit me perfectly.
I bought the Mac version first and then got it for iOS. I feel like I cheated the developers; this thing should cost more! I’d happily pay more, even if it *is* slightly more expensive than the average Mac or iOS app. It’s truly underpriced and worth so, so much more.
Two apps well-bought and I’m extremely satisfied with features, updated, support and overall usage. In fact, I’m using Ulysses to write this review right now!
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
My favorite writing app
I write about 3/4 of a million words a year. I have used Scrivner for about 4 years now and I used to love it. It took me a day to get used to Ulysses but now I wonder how I’ve ever gotten any writing accomplished without this tool. It really is the best writing app I’ve used to date. Check it out.