By Ryan McGee
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
VOSIS is a synthesizer that uses scanned synthesis of greyscale image pixel data from photos or live video input. It is also a tool for image audification/sonification and visual music performance.
Visit www.imagesonification.com for technical details and demo video.
- Simply touch anywhere on an image to play sounds with the ADSR envelope
- Toggle LOOP and double-tap to add a looped region
- 6 voice plyphonly (3 touch regions and 3 looped regions)
- Press IMG to select new image from photo library
- Press CAM to use live video and toggle between front and rear cameras
- PAN toggle enables stereo panning depending on horizonal image position
- LEVEL modifies the brightness of pixels and MASK is a level bit-reduction
- CUTOFF provides low-pass and high-pass filters
- THRESH filter is useful to accentuate differences between image regions
- SCAN RATE changes the ammout of time corresponding to an image region
- BACKGROUND controls the opacity of the source image, no effect on sound
- Double-tap the upper-right corner to show/hide the GUI
- VIBRATO uses the accelerometer’s roll to modulate frequency
- REVERB toggles a Lexicon emulation reverb mix and decay
- TUNING creates major or minor chords with multiple touch voices
- 2 finger left/right and up/down gesture control of filters anywhere on screen
- Projector output for instant visual music performance
- Audiobus Support: please use buffer size of 512 for optimum performance
VOSIS = Voice of Sisyphus Image Sonification
- Software by Ryan Michael McGee | www.ryanmcgee.com
- “Voice of Sisyphus” is an artwork by George Legrady | www.georgelegrady.com
- Created with ofxUI by Reza Ali | www.syedrezaali.com
© 2013 Ryan Michael McGee
What's New in Version 1.1.0
- Audiobus Support
- Improved sound quality and performance for non-retina iPads
- Multiple Landscape Orientation Support
Art meets art
I love this app. I use my drawings to generate sounds. Doubling the creative. Would be five stars if could alter the nature of the drone a bit more. I highly recommend for drones. I hope to see further development on this app as it has vast potential. Great work dev.
Barrel of monkeys=Vosis!
Loads of fun for anybody, though some users will be unfamiliar with some features, such as the ADSR Envelope. But just randomly messing with them is very entertaining. I imagine more interesting features are in the pipeline.
Hey cool app here. Great concept and nice sound engine. I wish it were a little more sonicly diverse though... The drone layering is cool but starts to all sound the same rather quick. Perhaps some new parameters to tamper with would make this a 5 star app.