Waze Social GPS, Maps & Traffic
By Waze Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Waze is the world's largest community-based traffic and navigation app. Join drivers in your area who share real-time traffic & road info to save time, gas money, and improve daily commuting for all.
Just by driving with Waze open, you're already contributing tons of real-time traffic information to your local community. You can also actively report accidents, police traps and other hazards you see on the road. Get road alerts along your route and find the cheapest gas prices around you shared by the community. Plus, you can add friends, send locations or keep others posted on your arrival time.
- Live routing based on community driven, real-time traffic & road info
- Community reported alerts including accidents, hazards, police traps, road closures, and more
- Turn-by-turn voice guided navigation
- Live maps, consistently edited and updated by Waze community map editors
- Automatic rerouting as conditions change on the road
- Send your ETA & real-time drive to update those you’re meeting
- Learns your frequent destinations, commuting hours, and preferred routes
- Find the cheapest gas station on your route
- Add information on local places and businesses
- Add Facebook friends and sync Contacts
- See friends’ ETA when driving to the same destination
- One tap navigation to Facebook & Calendar events
- Earn points as you contribute road info and climb the ranks in your community
Waze is all about contributing to and benefiting from the common good, so hop on board and get involved!
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Waze will automatically shut down if you run it in the background and haven't driven for a while.
What's New in Version 3.9.2
- Sending "I'm on my way" message is simpler than ever! With a new design and layout, you can easily keep your friends & family posted on the progress of your drive.
- New Waze Today Widget for iOS 8! Quickly view your ETA for Home or Work, navigate with one tap, and easily send your current drive & ETA (when navigating). Pull down your Notification Center and tap Edit to add the extension.
- Updated look and function for sending a location.
- ETA & route changes now include richer traffic information.
- New map display setting automatically switches between 2D and 3D view.
- Bug fixes and performance enhancements.
Finally warming up to Waze....
I hated this app the first day I used it and ended up deleting it. There was so much crap being displayed on the map, you couldn't see the map. I was driving with a friend a few weeks ago and I liked the navigation app he was using and to my surprise it was Waze! He said that if you take the time to go thru all of the settings, you can turn off 90% of the unneeded stuff. When I did that, it was actually a great app. Waze has taken me home different ways that I never knew existed and saved me valuable time. After several times, these new routes are becoming part of my normal routes to and from work. I like the warnings that pop up for traffic, stalled cars, heavy traffic, bad weather, or cops set up with radar on the side of the road. It's not safe trying to report these things in the Waze app while driving. Sometimes the Waze will pop up a window asking you if you are now in heavy traffic and asks for a quick yes or no. I started Waze for my drive home and before I pushed anything, it asked me if I was heading home, so I only had to say yes. That was a very nice touch! I still have my Garmin with traffic info for comparison and my Garmin is like talking to a rock compared to Waze. I still use the SigAlert app for traffic comparison to Waze. This is an awesome app for free, just go thru the settings to tailor it to what you like. That's my 2 cents.
Best navigation app period
I have tried a bunch of other navigation apps to avoid traffic and this is by far the best. However is does take some getting used to as the interface is different from most other apps. Also, for some suggestions it would be easier I think if when you were driving it would say make your second left as opposed to in 900 feet turn left because I don't really have a good feel for a distance like that. It's hard in a city when there are so many turns and people to gauge a distance like that. Also the app needs a little bit of a human element to it. Sometimes it will give me directions and I'll be taking side streets to avoid traffic but it will tell me to drive across a very busy street that doesn't have a light to get across it. Or you'll make a left then an immediate right having to get across multiple lanes. It's a little tough sometimes to do that so I suggest while that might be the fastest route to adjust things and avoid frequent turns that are close together. Other than all this the app is really great and really helps a lot. It's also fun to get points and stuff. Oh yeah I almost forgot make the search feature better. Right now I search and find the address on the Internet and then paste it into the waze app for directions because the search isn't great or very intuitive. Keep up the good work guys.
Great App, but there's always room for improvement
I love Waze! It does exactly what it is supposed to and is definitely a life saver when it comes to needing a heads up on road and travel conditions. However, I still think some features have been overlooked or underdeveloped. I travel a lot. Because of that, my home state changes pretty often. Half the problem? The app doesn't give me a way to see my current home state or a warning when it changes. The other half of the problem? There is no easy way to fix it. I found a forum posting one time telling me how to contact them and have it permanently set, but the forums aren't always user friendly and I can't find the same post. Actually, that's a second problem. There is no easy way to contact Waze--through the app or the website--unless I'm missing something. Being able to contact developers when there is a problem is crucial to the user experience. Last thing I take issue with is that the voice commands don't always play. I think they don't play if the app is on the foreground of my phone, but because I'm constantly changing the open app on my phone, the inconsistency sometimes throws me for a loop. The app has it's downfalls, but they aren't critical points in my opinion. If you want an app that will give you the most up to date information about speeding traps, constructions zones, and traffic jams, Waze has your back!
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Dec 16, 2014
- Version: 3.9.2
- Size: 52.1 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: waze
- © Waze Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.