WD My Cloud
By Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The newly redesigned My Cloud app makes sharing a lot easier. With the introduction of private sharing, you have total control over the sharing experience. The new Auto Backup feature helps preserve the memories on your mobile device. The My Cloud app also integrates with other cloud services, providing a centralized location for all your content.
My Cloud… Save everything. Access anywhere.
Supported cloud services:
· Google Drive
This app works with all WD cloud storage products as well as My Passport Wireless.
Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WesternDigital
Follow us on Twitter: @WesternDigital
Follow us on Instagram: westerndigital
What's New in Version 4.4.1
- Bug Fixes
A file explorer at best
The packaging and advertising would like you to believe the mobile app is a full functional archived and media manager for your smartphone. Well, it will give you access to the drive. You can view the files listed or in their folders. That is it! But even then, it does not give you an option to sort or even go to the bottom. You have to use screen scroll to get to the latest folder. Like many people, I have hundreds of folders, and you pretty much have to manually scroll to the bottom every time you want to go to the most recent files.
Then I tried to back up my camera roll photos to the drive. You have to select the photos one by one from the native photo app. Then choose to send them to the drive (my loud). You don't get to create a new folder, or have the app create one say by date taken. The folder should have already been created on the drive. This is not a photo or video export tool by any means. I thought I eventually got the capability to export the photos from my phone to a storage drive by bypassing a computer. Not the case. Great thumbs down.
The. I tried to play some of the videos. They were AVI format. The app did not recognize them and it gives you the question mark.
The bottom line... The app will let you view the files you have on the drive. If you expect more than that, you will be disappointed.
1. Frequently get "Unable to connect the network" errors in app and WD support was unable to assist.
2. App is outdated and not optimized for iPhone 6 or 6+
3. When you can connect, it will not stream AIFF files "with" album artwork. This stinks!!! I don't want to convert all of my CD quality uncompressed music to another format that supports album art.
4. App does not play songs back to back without pause between. This causes problems when playing in a car connected via USB. After each song plays, during the pause, the app automatically gets overrun by the iPod music app causing the car audio player to stop playing the WD app music. This is a huge issue for me and anyone looking to connect their iPhone to their car stereo system through a USB port and stream music from the WD app. It won't play more than one song and then you have to manually switch back to the app and press play in the second song, ect...
These are all reasons why I actually returned the WD MyCloud 6TB drive. Very disappointed in this. If it weren't the faults of this app, I would have kept the Drive and enjoyed my CD quality music everywhere I go.
Hopefully, someone at WD will see this and make some improvements. Maybe I'd revisit a purchase if isWe the app can handle all of these issues in a future app update release notes.
Two friend and I all have the WD my cloud NAS. We all have them set up with accounts for each other with read only access granted to the other two in the group so we all can share photos music and videos with each other but with out the worry of some one acidently delegating the others files sines the others only have read access not write. Works great for us.
Only reason I'm only giving 4 starts is something I noticed tonight. I opened the and it told me that there was was a firmware update for one of the other person NAS. Now note I'm only a limited user of that NAS not the owner or have admin rights to it. I feel this is a problem that WD needy to fix. Only the owner should see that message not secondary users.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Sep 30, 2015
- Version: 4.4.1
- Size: 39.1 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
- © 2011
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.