By Vail Systems, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Whistle Phone is an app for calling or texting your family and friends for free over Wifi or your mobile data plan.
On your own customized phone number, you can make and receive unlimited texts from high-definition and secure calls to other Whistle users. You can also make inexpensive calls to landlines and cell phones or text anyone in the US for a fraction of your regular rate when you go Premium. We even give you 20 minutes of free calling to the contiguous 48 US states and 200 texts to try us out.
And, if you need to make calls anywhere in the world, we've got extremely low rates.
Thought about using your iPad or Pod Touch as a phone? We can help you out. And we work pretty darn well on the iPhone too.
(For the iPod Touch before 4th gen, you'll need headphones and a microphone to use Whistle.)
- Contact integration has you texting in no time
- Secure, encrypted calling prevents snooping on public wireless networks
- High-Definition calls to other Whistle clients make your calls sound as clear as the music you hear on your iPod
- If you can't get to a call, we'll send it to your Whistle voicemail
- Send your Whistle calls to any phone number via our call forwarding service for a low per-minute rate
- Has built-in integration with your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad Contacts
- Push notifications for incoming calls
- Includes two-line calling features, including call waiting and three-way calling
- Allows Whistle calls to continue in the background on speakerphone (iPhones with iOS 4+ only)
- Use Whistle as a client with any 3rd party SIP service
- Integrates with Apple Headphones: click the center button on your Apple headphones to answer an incoming call or disconnect a call in progress or double click the center button to switch between calls on different lines (requires iOS 4+)
Please direct comments on bug fixes or feature requests to either firstname.lastname@example.org or to our support site at http://support.whistlephone.com. We really do want to hear from you and we've set up these forums to address your thoughts directly.
* Check out Whistle Phone for the Mac on the Mac App Store *
What's New in Version 1.44
- Fixed texting input field sizing under iOS 7
Was 5 stars. Now 2 stars.
Was using this Whistle Phone app with Google Voice for about two years. Actually, using it rarely, like once a month, on my iPad. It was working well, until recently.
Now, I cannot receive calls at all unless the Whistle phone is running as the current app on the main screen.
I have checked BACKGROUND APP REFRESH, and the Whistle app is not even on the list to select for background refresh.
If the app has to be up on the screen in order to answer incoming calls, the Whistle app is nearly useless to me now on iPad.
Will this be fixed, or do I need a different app like Talkatone, instead of Whistle?
iPad 2nd Gen, iOS 7.0.4.
I'm giving it 1 star for now because the app doesn't work and the support staff somehow doesn't know why. They claim to offer cheap calls, domestic and international. I haven't been able to make any calls so far, even though I added money to the account. It might work for other people. I wouldn't recommend putting any money into this app until you confirm that it works.
I'm the first to download (; so I can say what I want about this app and your gonna take my word for it. I just installed to uninstall #Boss
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Sep 25, 2013
- Version: 1.44
- Size: 3.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Vail Systems, Inc.
- © 2009-2013 Vail Systems, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- $9.99US Whistle credit$9.99
- $0.99US Whistle credit$0.99
- $4.99US Whistle credit$4.99
- $1.99US Whistle credit$1.99
- $7.99US Whistle credit$7.99