By Robert Chin
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Accessing Wikipedia has never been faster and easier than with Wikipanion, designed for easy, search, navigation and display of Wikipedia entries. Streamline your browsing with history grouped by visit date, and bookmarking that not only bookmarks individual entries, but individual sections within an entry. Featuring intelligent features such as:
- Table of contents browser that knows where you are in the page
- Multiple search methods including Smart completion with entry preview, Google searching and a full text Wikipedia search
- Dual language searching and language switching (hiding languages you don't care about)
- Bookmark, including bookmarking individual sections of pages
- History, grouped by last visit date
- Full in-page searching
- Wiktionary dictionary term looking without leaving the current page
- Table based category browsing
- iCloud syncing
- Image saving to the Photo library
- Ogg vorbis audio playback for dictionary pronunciations and other audio content available on Wikipedia
- Contextual knowledge for sending links to specific sections in a Wikipedia entry
- Easily turn on automatic focusing of the search field on launch
Tip: To scroll to the top of a Wikipedia entry, hit the title bar at the top of the iPhone's screen (this works in Safari too).
Second tip: Click into the search bar to cancel a page load request.
See the Wikipanion web site for more details about all of the available features.
Wikipanion is advertisement free.
What's New in Version 1.9.8
- Fixed an issue displaying citations
- Fixed some display issues
Wikipanion is one of the original Wikipedia apps that has withstood the test of time without being abandoned by its developer. The app contains more functionality than the officially sanctioned Wikipedia and is excellent for its ability to manage links to those topics you can’t read now but want to mark for future reading. An added bonus is it's ability to act as a front-end for other wikis as well.
(Almost) The Greatest App Ever
Wikipanion is easily the app I have logged the most hours into of any app ever programmed. I love it. It is superb and unmatched in its usability and features. I would marry these 1’s and 0’s if I could, but not until you guys fix the search bar. I hate sometimes having to wait >30 seconds for a Wikipedia page to load, with a wait like that I might as well use safari. Please fix this app and return it to its former perfection.
Showing its age. Good, but buggy.
I’ve used this for what feels like forever— probably at least 7 years. It’s been good, but it’s getting tougher around the edges. Really needs better slide-right-to-go-back animation. And if I 3D Touch the icon and select search, the search interface is not only completely messed up, but it plain and simple doesn’t work. Always returns zero results.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 15, 2017
- Version: 1.9.8
- Size: 7.3 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Seller: Robert Chin
- © 2009-2016 Robert Chin
Compatibility: Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch.