Wire — Private Messenger
By Wire Swiss GmbH
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Secure, end-to-end encrypted messenger for calls, chat, sharing pics, videos, files, GIFs, sketches and more.
Works on mobile, tablet, desktop, and keeps chats always in sync.
• SECURE. Everything you send is end-to-end encrypted, only you and the receiver can read and see what is sent.
• PRIVACY FOCUSED. Wire does not share or sell your data or contact details to anyone. There are no ads. Switzerland-based with servers in the European Union.
• PHONE NUMBER OR EMAIL. Register with phone number on mobile, or with email on desktop, then log in with the same account on mobile.
• USERNAME. There’s no need to share phone number with others. Just give them your username to connect.
• OPEN SOURCE. Anyone can verify the security of Wire by auditing the code available on GitHub.
• MOBILE, TABLET, DESKTOP. Chats are always in sync and you don’t need your phone to log in on desktop.
• GROUPS. Wire is great for private and secure group conversations with up to 128 people.
• TIMED MESSAGES. Control how long others see your messages, pictures, videos.
• DELETE. Posted something to a wrong chat by accident? No problem, delete it from all receiving devices.
FEATURE RICH - GREAT FOR TEAMS
VOICE & VIDEO CALLS. Crystal clear quality, developed by the original audio team from Skype.
GROUP CALLS. Add up to 10 people and enjoy the virtual stereo effect (with headphones) to help you better understand who’s talking.
AUDIO AND VIDEO MESSAGES. Record and send, or choose a clip from your iPhone or iPad. There are even fun audio filters to modify your voice.
SEARCH. Full chat history at your fingertips. Or find things quickly by filtering out images, links and files sent in a conversation.
GIFS AND SKETCHES. Send a funny GIF or sketch with your finger (try also sketch-on-photo) to send a unique reply.
FILE SHARING. Securely transfer any file from your device, or from cloud services like iCloud or Dropbox.
LOCATION SHARING. Meeting up or giving instructions is easy – just share your current location.
VIDEOS AND MUSIC. Share a Youtube, Vimeo or SoundCloud link in a chat and others can play it without leaving Wire.
LINK PREVIEWS. Share any web link and we will automatically show the page title and a photo from the page (if available).
DELETE & EDIT. Posted something to a wrong chat by accident? No problem, delete it from all receiving devices. You can fix typos too.
Wire is free.
What's New in Version 2.32
— Confirmation screen before a call with a verified contact when they have started using a new device
— Pinch and zoom images in conversation view and in single image view
— Visual indication when inside a chat if there are new messages in other conversations
— Names of the participants are now in their profile color to better see who’s said what
— Audio messages now play from the loudspeaker, not from earpiece. Raise the phone to the ear to listen in private.
— Added option to sketch and add text on pictures from single image view
— Incoming calls did not connect for some users
— Camera wasn’t rotated to landscape when the phone was rotated
Really, Really Good
UPDATE: ok, I have to remove two stars for one simple but critical reason. Video and audio calls simply do not work consistently or sometimes at all. I had to ask people to install Signal just to make a call. Annoying.
Love this app, and it just keeps getting better! I've recently bugged everyone in my inner circle to give it a try, I'm just not down with all the snooping by internet companies and the govt these days.
Dear developers, please offer the following:
- ability to copy from messages. Yes I know it's a privacy safeguard, but I want to ditch other messaging apps altogether and sometimes, well, you just need to copy something someone messaged you, like an address or phone number.
- ability to remove yourself from the public, searchable database of users
- ability to give Wire access to photos and not camera, without getting a prompt message every time you want to send an image.
- increase max self destruct message duration to a week or month. I sometimes need to look back at something greater than a day old.
- ability to change the display name of your contacts
Thank you for allowing people to use Wire without granting access to all contacts on the device. That's what keeps me off of Signal app and uploading all my contacts is the antithesis of privacy!
Love that there's Giphy integration but…
This doesn't really work the way I want when I want to use reaction gifs. e.g. If I want to send my friend a funny eye roll gif and type "eye roll" to search for one, I then don't also want to send the words "eye roll" as a message. There should be a way to edit the text before sending, or just send the gif by itself.
The best all around privacy application in the app store!
Wow! What to say, the user interface and the call quality is top notch and the use of touch ID is a welcome addition. the security and privacy improvements keep being refined. great work by the developers!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Mar 10, 2017
- Version: 2.32
- Size: 122 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Seller: Wire Swiss GmbH
- © Wire Swiss GmbH
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.