Wire secures your business and personal chats, files and calls with end-to-end encryption. All data is protected by European privacy laws.
Wire combines strong end-to-end encryption with ease-of-use and all the features to get work done in a team, or bring friends and families together. It works on all major platforms and devices so your chats, files and calls are always in sync and available everywhere.
• End-to-end encryption – Chats, calls and files are secured and only the participants have the keys to unlock what said or sent. Wire does not have access to your conversations.
• Based in Europe – Wire follows strict Swiss data protection laws and all our servers are based in Germany and Ireland.
• Open source and independently audited – Wire’s code is 100% open source and regularly reviewed by independent security experts.
• Mobile, tablet, desktop – The conversations and files are always in sync and you don’t need a phone to sign up or log in.
• Voice and video calls – Get a conference call or screen sharing session going with up to 10 people, or jump on a video call for some face-to-face time.
• Secure file sharing – Securely send any file from your device, or from a cloud service like Dropbox.
• Easy-to-use – Wire combines maximum security with great user experience. No training required and as many users say “even my grandmother can use it!”
• 2-in-1 – Wire is the first secure messenger that lets your log in with multiple accounts. Switch between work and personal conversations with just a click.
• Rich conversations – Audio and video messages, GIFs and sketches and likes help to keep the conversation flowing.
Wire is free for personal use.
More info: wire.com
• Screen sharing is now in much better quality making even the smallest texts readable.
• Wire remembers the window size and position when you close the app.
• Better support for resizing the window when using multiple monitors.
• Link previews are generated slightly faster.
• Clicking on "Update" to load the updates and bug fixes no longer crashes the app.
Ratings and Reviews
Solid chat app with lots of features
Wire works well as a Skype replacement, and it has a few extra bells and whistles too. I enjoy the macOS and iOS versions.
However, there are a couple quirks with the macOS version:
- Sometimes a chat window gets a bit laggy/unresponsive when trying to scroll (selecting a different chat and then going back to the initial chat seems to fix this).
- The biggest annoyance for me is that there’s no way to customize the window, specifically the panel on the left that lists your chats/contacts. There should be a way to resize this panel, especially to shrink it down to just icons, because it takes up way too much space as it is. You can do this on other chat apps (e.g. Messages and Skype), and I would love to be able to do this on Wire too.
Keep up the great work!
It almost there, but no...
I am a Mac user that just about had it with Skype, desperately looking for an alternative. Wire seemed very similar, so I gave it a shot. Sadly, this is not the solution:
- The alert sounds are nice and high-tech, but way too gentle. My peers had trouble realizing they have been texted. Even the Ping is subtle. The app should offer alternative alert sounds.
- There is no “prescence” indicator. This is VITAL for any messaging service, as well as displaying when you are busy, or on break.
- Yes, if you type :) it will replace it with the actual emoji, but an emoji selector tool would be preferred. I am a businessman and a leader of the sales team here, and emojis are the pop culture of modern day communications. A single image says more that a thousand words…
I am hoping to come back to Wire in the future. It definitively has the potential. I hope the development team keeps improving. Cheers
we really appreciate your feedback.
We will share your feedback with the team!
Also you have the possibility to add emoji's with :tag - like :smile .
But we get your point!
The app works but service is awful. I can’t figure out how to contact them. At the end of my 30 day trial, I quickly entered my credit card, clicked agree a couple times, and then realized I had agreed to $500 in annual charges for a 6 person team. I want to cancel immediately but there is no way to contact them that I can find. I tried an on-line question but they don’t go through. When I click the send button nothing happens. I feel ripped off to the tune of $500 and I don’t know what to do. Very frustrated.
- Wire Swiss GmbH
- 55.6 MB
- OS X 10.9.0 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Wire Swiss GmbH
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.