Use our awesome bilingual dictionaries to look up words and interact with video subtitles and web pages. Our dictionaries are free, work offline and have no ads!
The best way to become fluent in a language is to watch authentic shows and videos created for native speakers. Woodpecker is an app filled with learning tools that lets you do this FOR FREE!
Practice commonly used vocabulary, tones and accents while watching a huge library of popular shows from all over the world. Immerse yourself in thousands of movies, TV shows, interviews and presentations and if you aren’t sure of any words you come across, just tap on the subtitle for immediate definitions in your own language.
Our bilingual dictionaries now work with web pages as well as video subtitles. Just touch on a word in our web browser and the popup box will appear with the definition in your own language.
• A movie or video playing in Woodpecker can have two subtitle streams running simultaneously. For instance, one in English and one in Chinese.
• Touch on a word in a subtitle stream to see the possible meanings in your language. Touch on a word or character in your own language to get the definition in the language you are learning
• To improve your listening power you can replay a single sentence or go back five seconds to repeat content.
• More than 400 YouTube channels with English language audio and subtitles are available. Many of these channels also upload subtitle streams in other languages. We have more than 30 YouTube channels with Mandarin language audio and subtitles.
• We also show the YouTube channels of many popular English teachers.
• A list of the videos you've watched and the words/characters that you've touched can be seen in the history tabs.
We support English speakers learning Mandarin and speakers of Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese learning English.
Ratings and Reviews
Nice language learning app--great for high intermediate level
What it does is take videos from popular sources and give you immediate access to the subtitles while streaming the show. The subtitles allow you to quickly save words and when paused allow you to look up the translation. In some cases you can get subtitles in English and Chinese at the same time. There is also a 5 second rewind and a skip back to previous subtitle. The second one is hit or miss but it's great when it works. The app is currently my favorite languages learning app. Look forward to where they go with it in the future.
Great app to supplement language learning
Very useful app with access to good video content to help learn and practice new vocabulary at my own time and pace.
Great app 10/10 makes it extremely easy to understand and has a great concept to it
- Woodpecker Learning Limited
- 66.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2018 Woodpecker Learning Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Export Word History $0.99
- Woodpecker Web Browser $14.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.