WordBook - English Dictionary and Thesaurus
By TranCreative Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
FEATURES that make WordBook stand out from other dictionary apps:
- Professionally recorded pronunciation for every single entry
- Word origin information (Etymologies)
- Built-in spell checker with pop-up spelling suggestions
- User's bookmark and note management
- Unmatched sounds-like and wild card search and a powerful word puzzle solver
WordBook is a comprehensive, quick and intuitive dictionary and thesaurus of the English language. It's a great combination of comprehensive contents and fast intuitive interface.
* 150,000 entries with more than 220,000 definitions, 70,000 usage samples
* 23,000 root word origins (etymologies)
* 120,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and other notations
* Spoken pronunciations (for all entries)
* Built-in thesaurus and word links connecting words semantically
* Unmatched index, wildcard, anagram search capabilities
* Bookmark (with user's notes) and history management
* Words of the Day: you get to learn new words daily, shake the device for new random words
* Browser-like definition content navigation, ability to tap on any word in the content to look up its definition
* Extending up to 5 web dictionaries to supplement built-in contents
* High resolution graphics for Retina display
* “the best in the [inexpensive dictionary] category... This wealth of information is indispensable to the student, and even fun to use” - Jeff Phillips, Macworld
* “One of 15 Best iPhone Apps for English Majors” - April Lentini, CollegeTimes.us
* “None measure up to WordBook” Score: 10/10 - Michael Alexander, AppCraver.com
* “WordBook leads the parade of free and low-cost dictionary options” - Ben Boychuk, MacWorld.com
* “WordBook's iPhone dictionary - the standard for reference apps” Rating: 5/5 - Steven Yaccino, appolicious.com
- WordBook does not required an internet connection except to view web dictionaries or to play online pronunciation voices.
- WordBook includes entries of both American/British spellings. Definitions are written in American English.
What's New in Version 4.6
Enhanced for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
This dictionary is well worth the price tag. The definitions aren't super extensive in my opinion, but I have been able to find virtually every word I've looked up so far. So it's great if you want to find out what that word means, but not always the best if you want to get specific about how to use a word, or which word you can use among synonyms (do braggart, boaster, bragger, and vaunter really all mean *exactly* the same thing?). The etymology is a HUGE plus, too, as are the web links for when you feel the need to go off road! Plus it is quite stable and straightforward.
I love to read and I like words. So looking up words as I read BUT I also study vocabulary so to enhance my knowledge and readying comprehension. Your app is simply the best for my needs. My only recommendation is to add languages. E.g. I look up word "A" per say and I can get the definition in say, English but have the settings to provide that word in Danish or whatever language(s) I set This way I learn the definition and know how to say/use it in 2 or however many languages I chose - expanding my knowledge on several languages at a time. Thanks again!!
My favorite app!
I love the audio pronunciation for each and every word. The real voice recorded by Susan Barnes is the best among three voices in the application. The feature to tap on any text in definitions, in word links, in the thesaurus and even in etymology or in other web integrated dictionaries is the most outstanding of this dictionary. Everything is just a tap away .
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 08, 2014
- Version: 4.6
- Size: 21.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: TranCreative Software
- © 2014 TranCreative LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.