WordBook - English Dictionary and Thesaurus
By TranCreative Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
FEATURES that make WordBook stand out from other dictionary apps:
- Professionally recorded pronunciation for every single entry
- Word origin information (Etymologies)
- Built-in spell checker with pop-up spelling suggestions
- User's bookmark and note management
- Unmatched sounds-like and wild card search and a powerful word puzzle solver
WordBook is a comprehensive, quick and intuitive dictionary and thesaurus of the English language. It's a great combination of comprehensive contents and fast intuitive interface.
* 150,000 entries with more than 220,000 definitions, 70,000 usage samples
* 23,000 root word origins (etymologies)
* 120,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and other notations
* Spoken pronunciations (for all entries)
* Built-in thesaurus and word links connecting words semantically
* Unmatched index, wildcard, anagram search capabilities
* Bookmark (with user's notes) and history management
* Words of the Day: you get to learn new words daily, shake the device for new random words
* Browser-like definition content navigation, ability to tap on any word in the content to look up its definition
* Extending up to 5 web dictionaries to supplement built-in contents
* High resolution graphics for Retina display
* “the best in the [inexpensive dictionary] category... This wealth of information is indispensable to the student, and even fun to use” - Jeff Phillips, Macworld
* “One of 15 Best iPhone Apps for English Majors” - April Lentini, CollegeTimes.us
* “None measure up to WordBook” Score: 10/10 - Michael Alexander, AppCraver.com
* “WordBook leads the parade of free and low-cost dictionary options” - Ben Boychuk, MacWorld.com
* “WordBook's iPhone dictionary - the standard for reference apps” Rating: 5/5 - Steven Yaccino, appolicious.com
- WordBook does not required an internet connection except to view web dictionaries or to play online pronunciation voices.
- WordBook includes entries of both American/British spellings. Definitions are written in American English.
What's New in Version 5.1
Fixed bug with anagram search not rendering results.
Loyal Customer since 2008!!
Excellent tool I use regularly, both at work and home, to communicate more effectively and to better understand what I read. The product also strikes a good balance regarding memory management on the phone. The dictionary is typically adequate, but limited, when there is no cell phone connection. Therefore, the impact on the phone is minimal. Then, the lookup capabilities become extensive when a connection is present. I will install this product on every phone I purchase!
Bug with iOS 9
Great app, have used it for some time now including on my watch.
However, have noticed that after iOS 9 update, the spotlight search to find this app on my phone is unable to find it installed on the phone. This may very well be a bug in the newly released iOS 9, but I am able to find other apps. I have a lot of apps on my phone, so the convenience of doing a quick search and selecting that way is helpful.
My favorite app!
I love the audio pronunciation for each and every word. The real voice recorded by Susan Barnes is the best among the voices in the application. The feature to tap on any text in definitions, in word links, in the thesaurus and even in etymology or in other web integrated dictionaries is the most outstanding of this dictionary. Everything is just a tap away .
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: May 21, 2015
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 23.3 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: TranCreative Software
- © 2015 TranCreative LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.