WordBook - English Dictionary and Thesaurus
By TranCreative Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
FEATURES that make WordBook stand out from other dictionary apps:
- Professionally recorded pronunciation for every single entry
- Word origin information (Etymologies)
- Built-in spell checker with pop-up spelling suggestions
- User's bookmark and note management
- Unmatched sounds-like and wild card search and a powerful word puzzle solver
WordBook is a comprehensive, quick and intuitive dictionary and thesaurus of the English language. It's a great combination of comprehensive contents and fast intuitive interface.
* 150,000 entries with more than 220,000 definitions, 70,000 usage samples
* 23,000 root word origins (etymologies)
* 120,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and other notations
* Spoken pronunciations (for all entries)
* Built-in thesaurus and word links connecting words semantically
* Unmatched index, wildcard, anagram search capabilities
* Bookmark (with user's notes) and history management
* Words of the Day: you get to learn new words daily, shake the device for new random words
* Browser-like definition content navigation, ability to tap on any word in the content to look up its definition
* Extending up to 5 web dictionaries to supplement built-in contents
* High resolution graphics for Retina display
* “the best in the [inexpensive dictionary] category... This wealth of information is indispensable to the student, and even fun to use” - Jeff Phillips, Macworld
* “One of 15 Best iPhone Apps for English Majors” - April Lentini, CollegeTimes.us
* “None measure up to WordBook” Score: 10/10 - Michael Alexander, AppCraver.com
* “WordBook leads the parade of free and low-cost dictionary options” - Ben Boychuk, MacWorld.com
* “WordBook's iPhone dictionary - the standard for reference apps” Rating: 5/5 - Steven Yaccino, appolicious.com
- WordBook does not required an internet connection except to view web dictionaries or to play online pronunciation voices.
- WordBook includes entries of both American/British spellings. Definitions are written in American English.
What's New in Version 4.5.1
Ready for iOS 7.0
Save Bookmarks to iCloud option
4 Reasons to own WordBook
4 Compelling Reasons to own WordBook:
1) It contains a massive vault of excellent, superfluous and highly understandable definitions with an exhaustive Thesaurus that will enhance & expand your vocabulary.
2) You can add notes to any word (including your favorites) in the dictionary. This is helpful when you are adding notes to your 'favorites'.
3) It enables you to utilize iCloud sync to synchronize your favorite words & notes across all your Apple devices.
4)Excellent, clear audio quality for word pronounciations
The list above contains my personal favorite features of the dictionary app; however, there are so many other features in this app. If you are a big reader and/or writer, these features will benefit you greatly while you are reading/writing at your desk or while "on the go".
The only missing feature i could suggest is to show the "next" and "previous" word(s) listed in the dictionary as you are viewing your current word. Also, It would be nice to see all the words of the dictionary laid out in columns and the user can flip through the pages of columns containing words and be able to access each word and it's definition by just touching the word (via hyperlink).
I highly recommend this app for all readers, writers and public speakers. It will help you understand other people's writings better and help you be a better communicator.
Great quality for a low price!
WordBook is based on WordNet database from Princeton University. The content is concise and easy to read. This app does a good job in choosing text color and style, far better than other WordNet based dictionaries available in this store. It also provides brief word history information at the end of definitions.
Like many WordNet implementations, the dictionary provide semantic relations of words (they call it Links). This is unique and not available in any other branded dictionary like AHD, M-W or Oxford .
Pronunciation guide is in IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet), not popular in the US. Audio pronunciation is provided offline (text to speech) and online (2 voice options, one of them is the human voice). This is a great design. I appreciate not having to carry big sound files when I have only 8G in the iPhone.
WordBook shines when it comes to user interface. Everything makes sense and is at the right place.
Web access is genius. For every word, I can view the favorite online Urban dictionary in one tap.
This dictionary is well worth the price tag. The definitions aren't super extensive in my opinion, but I have been able to find virtually every word I've looked up so far. So it's great if you want to find out what that word means, but not always the best if you want to get specific about how to use a word, or which word you can use among synonyms (do braggart, boaster, bragger, and vaunter really all mean *exactly* the same thing?). The etymology is a HUGE plus, too, as are the web links for when you feel the need to go off road! Plus it is quite stable and straightforward.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 15, 2013
- Version: 4.5.1
- Size: 22.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: TranCreative Software
- © 2013 TranCreative LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.