WritePad for iPad | Handwriting recognition Text Input
By PhatWare Corp
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
WritePad is an advanced notetaker app that lets you to take notes in your own handwriting, which is immediately converted to the digital text using PhatWare’s state-of-the-art handwriting recognition software. You can also use simple gestures to select text, cut, copy, paste, and insert special characters.
WritePad has a spell checker with its own custom dictionary, a context analyzer, auto-corrector, and a Shorthand feature that fills-in words and phrases you frequently use, once entered into the Shorthand Editor.
WritePad lets you save and transfer notes over Wi-Fi from your iPad to another iPhone or iPad, or synchronize your notes with Box, Dropbox, iCloud, Evernote, SkyDrive, Google Drive, and iTunes.
Benefits and Features
- Create and edit text documents using the advanced handwriting recognition engine or iPad keyboard for text entry in landscape or portrait mode.
- Improve productivity by utilizing inline gestures, spell checker, context analyzer, and shorthand features.
- Statistical analyzer, which improves overall handwriting recognition quality by addressing common recognition errors. If this feature is enabled, WritePad will learn the user's own handwriting style.
- Email, Tweet, Print, or post Facebook updates directly from WritePad.
- Synchronize or Import/Export WritePad documents with Box, Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, SkyDrive, iCloud, and iTunes.
- Translate documents to 16 supported languages using Bing Translator.
- Change WritePad's appearance by manipulating text, page, and ink colors using the customizable Styles feature.
Handwriting recognition is averrable as custom keyboard extension for the following languages:
- English (GB)
- Portuguese (BR)
Document Synchronization support:
- Google Drive
- WiFi (direct to device)
- iTunes (direct to PC)
Supported Handwriting Recognition Languages:
- English (UK, US)
- Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal)
UI translated to the following languages:
What's New in Version 9.4
- Handwriting recognition and performance improvements
- User-defined document encoding (UFT-8, UTF-16, etc.) Options->Text Editing Settings->Default Document Encoding.
20-year old Newton does a better job
I was hoping it would be at least as good as my Newton 2100 (which still works!) in my iPad Pro. No such luck. Part of the problem is that the Apple Pencil / iPad pro interface needs more friction for effective writing (it’s very easy to add extra “serifs” on characters with the pencil sliding around so much).
One disappointment is how bad the spelling recognition is. When the translation is wrong, I’d expect something that is a real word, not a random collection of characters that look like line noise.
Oh well, maybe future versions will improve; maybe its learning capabilities will make things better (though I’m not sure I’m willing to go through the pain and effort to train this program considering how bad it starts off).
Pencil makes it!
I've had this app for a while now, stopped using it because my writing with the usual stylus was far more illegible than usual. With the Apple Pencul the problem is solved! Very much enjoying it now.
Crash, crash, one more crash, and then...
CRASH, CRASH, CRASH!!
Wish I could say more, but that is as far as I have got with the app.
Update 2 months later - none! It still just crashes.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jan 15, 2016
- Version: 9.4
- Size: 41.1 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: PhatWare Corp
- © PhatWare Corp.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Medical Pack$4.99
- Spanish Language Pack$2.99
- English Language Pack$2.99
- French Language Pack$2.99
- Portuguese Language Pack$2.99
- German Language Pack$2.99
- Italian Language Pack$2.99
- Swedish Language Pack$2.99
- Dutch Language Pack$2.99
- Danish Language Pack$2.99