By Australian Broadcasting Corporation
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The ABC listen app helps you discover your next favourite podcast, along with all the ABC live radio streams. Download for free today and hear the world differently.
• LISTEN to your favourite LIVE ABC Radio stations
• SEARCH for ABC programs, podcasts and presenters
• Use + PLAYLIST to save episodes for continuous listening
• DOWNLOAD and delete single episodes in your playlist or auto-download them all
• Use + MY PROGRAMS to save your favourite programs in one place
• PLAY your latest episodes straight from the Radio screen, or select from trending or popular
• Use the sleep function when you go to bed
The app also offers track and program information; weekly schedules; and sharing on social media.
ON-DEMAND PROGRAMS (PODCASTS) INCLUDED
• All current and previous episodes of podcasts from over 130 ABC Radio programs
• Hear early release episodes and content exclusive to ABC listen
• News bulletins updated hourly
• ABC metro Local Radio: ABC Radio Adelaide, ABC Radio Brisbane, ABC Radio Canberra, ABC Radio Darwin, ABC Radio Hobart, ABC Radio Melbourne, ABC Radio Perth, ABC Radio Sydney
• ABC regional Local Radio: 1233 ABC Newcastle, ABC Gold Coast, ABC Alice Springs, ABC North West WA, ABC Goldfields WA, ABC Northern Tasmania, ABC Kimberley WA, ABC Western Queensland, ABC South West WA, ABC North West Queensland, ABC Far North Qld, ABC North and West SA, ABC Western Plains NSW, ABC Gippsland VIC, ABC Southern Queensland, ABC Goulburn Murray VIC, ABC Mid North Coast, 999 ABC Broken Hill, ABC Ballarat, ABC Western Victoria, ABC South West Victoria, ABC Central Victoria, ABC Mildura Swan Hill
• ABC RN
• Double J
• ABC Classic FM
• ABC Classic 2
• ABC NEWS on radio
• ABC Grandstand
• triple j
• triple j Unearthed
• ABC Jazz
• ABC Country
• ABC Radio Australia
• ABC Extra
• Emergency broadcasts
These are all the ABC Radio stations that currently have live radio streams for online and mobile.
The app streams HLS over AAC+ at 64kbps, which uses about 29MB/hour.
ABC listen v4.0 gives you more control over your downloads and allows you to delete downloads directly from your playlist.
Note: You are responsible for the data transfer and consumption charges incurred by you when using any ABC app. The ABC disclaims all liability for such charges.
This release includes Nielsen measurement. You can find out more about Nielsen measurement and privacy and security of your data here: http://www.nielsen.com/digitalprivacy
SUPPORT AND FEEDBACK
We value your feedback, please send us compliments, suggestions and critique.
If you have the app then please use the ‘Send Feedback’ button in the app, if not then please use the ABC listen support link to contact us.
What's New in Version 4.0
ABC listen is an update to the ABC Radio app that is easier to use and has a fresh new look.
• Search podcasts, programs and presenters
• 'Listen Later' has become a playlist which auto-plays for continuous listening
• Manually download and delete individual episodes for offline listening
• More ways to find new favourite podcasts
• Navigation has moved to a TAB bar at the bottom of the screen
• 7 new regional live radio streams
All programs saved in ‘My Programs’ on the ABC Radio app will still be there under the ‘My Programs’ TAB after upgrading to ABC listen.
All episodes saved to ‘Listen Later’ on the ABC Radio app will still be there under the ‘Playlist’ TAB after upgrading to ABC listen.
I am new to the app and like the way I can listen to my local ABC radio station live anywhere I take my iPhone. Definitely superior to the old tech of battery operated portable radio.
My one issue is with the podcasts. Please introduce a way to sort the playlist. I listen while on a treadmill so can't fiddle with the app while moving. I also listen to a lot of short shows like the Health Report. The episodes seem to go onto the list in the order you choose them so you can't play through a variety of shows unless you jump back and forth between shows while adding episodes. Also I would like to play episodes in chrono order in case older ones become unavailable.
What would be best is the ability to move items up and down the list either by dragging or a move up/down button.
Otherwise a great app. Thanks
Very nice update
This update is a big improvement on the old app. Usability is now very good. It's easy to find the content that I'm interested in. Simple to download episodes or topics for listening offline. Play lists make it particularly easy to navigate to segments of interest within an individual program. Now the app really does complement ABC radio's wonderful content. Great job.
Edit: Forgot to update my star rating, IMO its now a five star app.
Listen later as a continuous playlist is abysmal
When I tap on things to listen later, I want those and only those downloaded. When I subsequently tap on my listen later list to start playing, I want the programmes that I added to the list to play - and ONLY those programmes. I do not want to find that the app keeps playing random junk forever because someone in the ABC thought that pushing an endless supply of programme nasties was a cool idea.
As it stands, this single change has pretty much wrecked the app for me. If this "feature" is here to stay then it should at least be governed by a user preference. A simple choice between "only what I ask for" and "what I ask for plus perpetual randomised piddle" would be appropriate.
Anyone who has allowed their copy of the app to use mobile data should be extremely wary of this "feature" because you could easily burn through a lot of download cap unawares.
I am definitely not happy, Jan.
- Category: News
- Updated: 05 September 2017
- Version: 4.0
- Size: 38.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- © Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.