"Best iPad Reference App" -- App Store editorial team. Art Authority for iPad transports you to an enthralling, real-world art museum filled with works by over 1500 of the western world's greatest artists, from ancient times to today. 100,000 paintings and sculptures, organized into eight period-specific rooms, each room a gateway to a whole museum's worth of art. Choose an artist by movement or name, and become instantly immersed in an exhibition devoted just to that artist. Search for and compare different artists' works by title, subject or location, or just wander at random and get lost in the art.
"An experience unlike any other" -- The NY Times. Art Authority's works are professionally framed and hung on textured walls, accompanied by title, date and other details. Works are displayed chronologically, with previews of related items providing added context. You can learn about an artist's life and works, or travel beyond the bounds of a traditional museum and view and compare works in a full-screen slideshow or scrolling thumbnail display. You can see and understand the actual size of works through "Art Real Size," and with "Art Like This" you can even view exhibits of similar works.
Does something really catch your eye? Purchase a museum-approved reproduction and take it home with you!
"Visually dazzling" -- MacObserver. There are period overviews, timelines, histories and videos. From the earliest creative pieces to the latest modern and contemporary works, Art Authority provides a stunningly displayed, carefully selected, well organized view of the western art world. It's part world-class art museum, part academic reference library and part digital coffee-table book. It's also part magic. An art musem like no other!
Art Authority features include:
- Access to gigabytes worth of art optimized for quality and download speed through our servers (works still under copyright come from authorized servers)
- Early, Renaissance, Baroque, Romantic, Impressionist, Modern, Contemporary and American rooms
- Dozens of artists per room, listed by movement or nationality
- Period overviews, timelines and histories
- A searchable index of all 1500+ artists, as well as for each room
- Searchable indexes of major titles, subjects and locations
- Art Real Size: instantly see and understand the actual size of works
- Art Like This: view works similar to the one you're looking at
- Art Near Me: search for art based on your location
- Shuffle: continuous random display of all art, or by period or genre
- Captions with work title, date, location and other details
- Hyperlinks provide access to in-depth information on artists, major works and locations
- Access to videos on hundreds of works
- Full-screen slideshow display, with user-settable transitions, Ken Burns motion effect, music
- Gallery-like, scrolling thumbnail view shows how works have evolved over time, aids in comparisons and exploration
- Offline access to works previously viewed
- Save works to Favorites or the Photos app
- Share works through social networks, mail and AirDrop
- Search for artists, locations, periods and previously viewed titles directly through SpotLight
- Purchase framed, museum-approved reproductions from 1000Museums.com
Also available for iPhone and Macintosh, and through Art Channel on Apple TV.
Support for iOS 12 and additional integration with 1000Museums.com
Ratings and Reviews
Take it or leave it
I picked this up thinking it would be high resolution images that would show brush strokes. They’re not. I was going to use it for painting studies.
Good for overall reference and basic info, but not much more.
Great app for anyone really, not just artists.
I myself do visual arts as a course for my final years of school and after learning about the time period of art in class (e.g. Impressionism), it is great to bring in my ipad or look at it later of fantastic artworks through this app. It is very efficient and I love the layout of the gallery style. I personally believe anyone would love this app even if they are slightly interested in this app, a person who has only ever been to a museum once in their life would appreciate the many interesting artworks in the app. Their is thousands of artworks from thousands of artists. I love the fact that it gives a small caption of how the art was captured (painting or photography) and the fact that it provides a small synopsis of the artists bio, through his artwork.
The only little problem I would like to see taken care of in a update would have to be the fact it doesn't have most mediums, I would have liked to see video art or maybe more sculptured art. However I only got it today so might come across it. I doubt I I'll see video art as i knew it would most likely not be in this app before I got it but I would like to see it come out in an update.
Overall, fantastic app for anyone who had the interest to visit this page. Hence the name art authority.
Absolutely amazing app. Fantastic to have so many works on hand at all time. Only recommendation would be to include some of the thumbnails in the download. Save time looking for particular images.
Fantastic selection of works, lovely details of larger works, and absolutely great layout.
Another suggestion would be a quiz, where you could select images you want to learn from memory, and have the app ask specific questions about the images selected.
Highly recommended even without these features, but hope further features are included.
- Open Door Networks, Inc.
- 179.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2008-18 Art Authority LLC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.