The Australian Financial Review App for iPad
By Fairfax Digital Australia & New Zealand Pty Limited
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The new AFR iPad app is now sharper than ever. We’ve redesigned and optimised it to give you a superior reading experience. Plus it now has additional daily and weekly content so you can enjoy Australia’s most trusted finance, business and political news like never before.
- Explore a wealth of new content sections
- Enhanced design for a more visual experience
- Brand new menu and layout for a simplified navigation
- Faster downloads and more frequent updates
- Hyperlinks within stories to related articles within the app
Free to download - with full access available to subscribers only. Subscribe direct through Fairfax Media or through the App Store.
You can enjoy:
- The Financial Review, with content updated throughout the day
- Exclusive commentary and analysis in Companies & Markets, Street Talk, Chanticleer, World, Technology and much more.
- Integrated video from Financial Review TV with Airplay capability.
- Markets data centre with key Australian Indices, World Indices, Derivatives, Commodities, Currency Rates, Gainers and Losers, and ASX Announcements.
- Live stock quotes, interactive charts and watchlists.
- Thought-provoking and entertaining articles from Review, Perspective, Smart Money and Men’s Health.
- All your favourite magazines including AFR Magazine, BOSS, Life & Leisure and Sophisticated Traveller, and now Smart Investor, BRW and Leadership as well.
- Saved articles for later reading.
- Sharing through email, Facebook and Twitter.
Additional information about Apple subscriptions:
* Purchase of an auto-renewable subscription is required to access weekly issues of The Australian Financial Review for iPad
* Subscriptions are available for 1 week for AU$17.99 (or local currency equivalent)
* Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
* Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
* Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period for AU$17.99 (or local currency equivalent)
* Auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the your iTunes App Store Account Settings after purchase
* No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
- terms and conditions http://www.afr.com/subscription_terms/
What's New in Version 2.0.1
• Resolves an issue logging in with a subscription
• Fixes missing images
• Increased font size
The AFR app is hardly better than using the website. Scrolling is slow. Loading articles is slow. Scrolling through the updated Headlines section is slow. In fact, with this new update you have removed simple functions that existed in the previous version, such as scrolling through headlines by swiping horizontally instead of hitting back, refreshing the headline list and hunting and pecking to get to content. A newspaper app should celebrate content. It is getting harder and harder for me to read your content. Place your focus on content instead of superficial interface updates, and I will come back, but otherwise, this is the last month I stick to the AFR. You do not have a monopoly on financial news in this country and you never will, but you can entice paying customers by making it easier to, at the very least, read your content. That should be the focus of your app, not apeing the design of another newspaper's app.
Who road tested the update?
The AFR used to be the best in terms of an app for iPad use. With the update, overnight it has become clunky and cumbersome. I actually now think of reading the AFR to be a chore as the site is so slow. I look forward to the update.
Things haven't improved much since my earlier review. It can sometimes take up to a minute for an article to appear. The scrolling function is so cumbersome, it is hard to believe that such an update can be offered to subscribers. If things don't improve I will cancel my subscription as it literally isn't worth the effort. Look at what the competitors are doing- and learn. The AFR has gone from the best app to the worst.
I upgraded to this version - it DOES NOT work on iPad2 running OS7.1.1 - not sure about more recent versions of OS. It would be good to have been warned about this.
LUCKILY I had upgraded on my iPad so could delete the app and revert back to the version 2.0.
I have emailed them on how to change the font - (its Times! - these Serifs!) - no reply to date - the instructions appear for possibly a more recent version of OS.
I have asked them if there is a search function - no reply to date
I have asked them to fix a bug - when you leave the app open for a time it reverts back to the front page thus loosing your spot in the article that you where reading and no History to go back to find that article.
Maybe fixed in the new version that doesn’t work with my iPad and current OS.
- Category: News
- Updated: 27 July 2015
- Version: 2.0.1
- Size: 41.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Fairfax Digital
- © Fairfax Digital Australia & New Zealand Pty Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- The Australian Financial Review app for iPad$17.99