The ATO app puts tax and super help in your hand, making it easier for you to conduct your tax and super affairs on the go.
The app has many features. You can:
- record and manage expenses and trips relating to your work as an employee, your business as a sole trader or other general expenses. Sole traders can also record income.
- upload your myDeductions records to your tax return at tax time or email a copy to your tax agent
- enrol your voiceprint with the ATO. You can then use this to verify your identity when you call us or to log in to our online services for individuals via the app
- calculate the amount of tax to withhold from salary and wage payments
- search for an Australian business number (ABN) using ABN Lookup
- work out key dates and set important reminders and alerts for tax and super obligations
- use the Business performance check tool to compare your business with similar businesses in your industry using the latest Small business benchmarks
- access a number of other useful tools and calculators.
* GPS can be used to record trips in myDeductions. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Some features in the app will request access to functions on your device, including your location, microphone or calendar. For example, to record a trip in myDeductions using the GPS option, the app needs access to your device location.
The ATO app can automatically send usage data to us to help improve its services. You may choose to turn this off at any time.
If you have any questions or feedback about the ATO app, email us at email@example.com. We cannot discuss your personal tax affairs.
- iOS compatibility updates.
- Minor enhancements to increase reliability and performance.
Ratings and Reviews
Problems with the app
So when I started using the app I thought it was pretty useful but have come across a few problems that are starting to bug me. Firstly when I want to back up my records to the iCloud it says that it’s been backed up but when I check my iCloud files it’s not there. However when I back up to notes first then from notes to my iCloud files it works. What gives ? Also started and finished a log book with my old car but now that iv bought a new car and have started a new logbook every time I want to add an expense it only allows me to do it on the old car in the “select vehicle” option even though iv added my new car to vehicle settings and have started a new logbook. No help can be found for the ato app online. Quite frustrating considering it’s an app provided by the government to make paying taxes more fluent. The app still feels wonky. God knows the ato won’t be much help at tax time regarding lost information
Developer Response ,
Hi, thanks for your feedback. Your backup files won't be visible in iCloud directly, but you should be able to access them directly from the back up screen in the myDeductions tool. In regards to adding car expenses, if your new vehicle falls under another category (e.g. it has a carrying capacity over 1 tonne or is owned by someone else) it may need to be recorded under a different expense type. See ato.gov.au/carexpenses for more information. If you’re still experiencing issues or have any further questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A good start
It’s a great idea and I like being able to use photos to store my receipts. It would be good to be able to upload a file other than photos as not all receipts can fit on a screen for screen capture. Also I was using the feature to upload photos already taken and then the next second it just said it was empty!
Unfortunately I used it for last year’s motor vehicle expenses but the log book function is unusable if you share a vehicle or don’t want to record all your personal kms. You’re expected to remember the start kms and record the entry at the end of the trip! Therefore I reverted back to paper recording for the log book and when it came time to lodge my return it wouldn’t upload the motor vehicle expenses!
Developer Response ,
Hi, we are currently looking at other file saving options as part of our continuous improvements to the product. With regard to the logbook you can just enter your work kilometers (i.e. 100-150, second trip 300-400). Upon upload myDeductions will work out the business klms for you. Regarding a loss of records, check the financial year at the top of the screen as this updates on 1 July each year to the new financial year (2018-19) you can scroll back to the previous year to see your data. If you are still having issues, please email us at INDDigitalProjectsTeam@ato.gov.au?
Not debugged or improved frequently enough.
Unfortunately this app crashes frequently when adding expenses and travel and you must start over again.
If you make a mistake adding travel you can’t edit it or delete it. Even point-to-point travel can't be edited.
This happened once too many times - I rushed to add a point-to-point trip, before it crashed for the 4th time, in my rush I forgot to change the dates. Now my trip is recorded as the wrong date. I’m unable to edit it or delete it. Other expenses can be deleted or edited, it just seems to be travel that can’t.
Now the travel record in the ATO app doesn’t match my separate records or work history. I’ve stopped using it for travel now.
App support seems limited. Take note that they don’t interact with customers to resolve issues or make improvements and they only update the app a few times per year.
Updated to add that I did receive a reply from them due to this review. Unfortunately, it didn't resolve my issue. If there is a way to edit travel, it needs to be clearer on the app.
Developer Response ,
Hi, thanks for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear you’ve experienced some issues with the app. Are you able to email us at email@example.com with some more details such as the type of device and version of iOS you are on and the trip tracking method you are using so we are able to investigate this further? You should be able to edit the trip date for Odometer and Point to point trips. You won’t be able to edit the date for GPS trips as they are intended to be recorded at the time you take the trip.
- Australian Taxation Office
- 109.3 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © ATO for the Commonwealth of Australia. You are free to use this material in any way you wish (provided you don’t suggest the ATO or the Commonwealth endorses you or your services or products).
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.