Enjoy BBC History Magazine, the UK's best-selling history magazine, on your iPhone and iPad. Dive into the latest issue, download the entire back issue collection and save more with a subscription.
Each month we assemble leading experts to explore a wide range of British and international historical topics – from ancient civilisations to the two world wars. Our historians tackle the key events and personalities of the past, as well as shining a light on lesser-known areas and explaining how the latest research changes our understanding.
Every issue also contains a comprehensive reviews section, inspiring ideas for heritage visits, breaking history news and the historical background behind current events.
Subscriptions and Single Issues:
Users can buy single issues and subscriptions using In App Purchase
Subscriptions are available on monthly or annual terms.
• Your subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period
• You will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, for the same duration and at the current subscription rate for that product
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings after purchase
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period. This does not affect your statutory rights
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription
• The app may offer a free trial. At the end of the free trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged thereafter. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. Visit http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
The subscription will include the current issue if you do not already own it and subsequently published future issues. Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
If you would like to get in touch with the team for more information or support please email email@example.com or alternatively you can visit our App support page https://immediate1.typeform.com/to/kc5nri
* please note: this digital edition does not include the covermount gifts or supplements you would find with printed copies*
Bug Fixes and Improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Content good — poor app
The app has a number of very annoying behaviours, which together make it tedious to use.
1)For a start, half of the “Issues” page, which displays the editions of the magazine available to download and/or read, is taken up with very annoying scrolling banner adverts. The ads aren’t even targeted—they keep urging me to take out a subscription, even though I’ve already done so.
2) It insists in operating in Portrait mode, even when I’m using my iPad in landscape.
3) Not all of the content that is available in the print issue or via Zinio is available via this app. In particular, the crossword is missing. I enjoy the crossword. It doesn’t have to be on-screen interactive: with Zinio, or any other app that allows me to take a screenshot of a page, then print it out, I can do the crossword with pen and paper. But this app denies me that option.
4) I value my privacy. Even though, within the app, I turned off Tracking, I later discovered more tracking switches hiding in the app settings under the iPad’s main settings—and these were still turned on.
This app needs an urgent upgrade
I would give this five stars for content but the app itself is not designed for all Apple devices. On bigger iPhones the lack of resolution leaves half the screen blank and makes the pinch and zoom function useless. Overall it makes the fine content unreadable on my iPhone X. This app is in urgent need of an upgrade.
Informative, insightful and thought-provoking. A great help in clarifying and extending my historical knowledge and understanding which benefits my teaching History to secondary school students.
- Immediate Media Company Limited
- 39.3 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Immediate Media Company Bristol Limited
- In-App Purchases
- 1-Month Subscription $7.49
- 12-Month Subscription $74.99
- Battle of Flodden Free
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.