Bitdefender Virus Scanner
By Bitdefender SRL
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Essential security for your Mac!
Bitdefender Virus Scanner finds Mac malware as well as Windows viruses with ease. Virus Scanner will detect any infected files that you downloaded or got in your inbox, so your Mac will be safe and you won’t pass anything bad to your friends’ computer.
Grant Bitdefender Virus Scanner access to the locations on your computer that you want to scan against malware. Choose ‘Deep System Scan’ or ‘Scan Critical Locations’ to scan. The award-winning Bitdefender engines will find that piece of malware. For free!
Make sure your Mac is free of infected files. Don't put your friends and family at risk by unknowingly passing along malware.
- Detects both OS X malware and Windows viruses;
- Before a scan, it updates to detect the latest malware;
- Searches for malware even in archives and inside various types of files such as pdf, pkg, zip, rar, etc.;
- Critical locations scan - rapidly scans system areas that are prone to infections.
- Award-winning Bitdefender antivirus engines;
- Quarantines dangerous files;
- Deep system scan for all the locations the user has granted access to;
- Drag-and-drop scan of files or folders;
- Option to exclude files and folders from scan (i.e. Time Machine backups, etc.)
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Due to sandboxing in the App Store, the app has access only to the locations that the user has explicitly granted access to. Grant access to the entire disk for increased protection;
- Disinfection limited by the privileges of the user running the app;
- Doesn’t scan programs stored in memory.
What's New in Version 3.5
Plus all the great fixes from the previous version:
* better memory management
* improvement: restore from quarantine in a new location if the original path is no longer available
* 64bit application support
* performance improvements
I had a considerable amount of malware/adware on my computer making both Safari and Chrome so slow that they were practically impossible to use. But this app fixed it! I gave access for a ‘Deep System Scan’ and it worked through all my files in about 25 minutes. There ended up being about 15 different adware detected.
The only issue for me (though not really an issue, just slightly more time consuming) is that some adware could not be removed by the app, but it allows you to ‘Reveal in Finder’ and manually delete the adware yourself. It also suggests you download their free Adware Removal Tool - which I did (the free version). However, I think this is slightly unnecessary if you are deleting adware manually - but it is a nice extra precaution and is just another tool to verify that all malware is gone.
All in all, it worked perfectly and now Safari and Chrome are working smoothly and quickly once more! :)
Seemed to work at first
The first time I used it it found the adware effecting my mac book and deleted it. A few days later ads started popping up again and when I tried doing a deep scan it again came up with nothing even though I’ve updated it to the latest version.
App worked quickly and super efficiently! Would reccomend :)