Use Bookshelf to download and access VitalSource textbooks on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. Read your books online or offline and create notes and highlights to help you study.
• Download books to your iOS device for easy online or offline reading.
• Simple, user-friendly navigation and a clean reading experience.
• Search inside your book for a term or phrase.
• Select text to create notes or highlights from your mobile device.
• Review flashcards to quiz yourself on key concepts.
• Tap to open figures, view captions, and pinch to zoom.
• Use text-to-speech to listen to your textbooks read aloud.
• Sync your bookmarks, current reading position, and all of your notes and highlights between your iOS device, desktop, and online Bookshelf apps.
• VitalSource Bookshelf account
• Access to one or more VitalSource textbooks.
• iOS 10+
• Updated library interface streamlines the organization of your content.
• Simplified library and book content search.
• Updated book information cards.
• Miscellaneous bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Just lacks useful functionality.
I get it that companies want to protect their rights and their products. But this whole format just is ridiculous - what they’ve done to protect their own rights comes entirely at the expense of the user’s rights to use their book. A few examples:
1) You can’t label the book marks you create, so you just end up with the date/time and chapter heading in a long list. Not useful!
2) Highlighting is a HORRIBLE experience, even with the Apple Pencil. You have to select your text, which is a jerky process, and then the menu crops up right as you want to adjust the selection, so you have to start over. And the limited highlighting colours are pre-defined such as “define” and “exam.” No, thank you. I’ll colour in what ever colour I darn well want!
3) There is no ability to handwrite notes on your pages. You can type in a note here or there, but that’s not helpful if you’re a visual person who responds to seeing the notes actually in your own writing on the page.
Seriously guys, if you’re going to lock us in so hideously, could you at least do us the courtesy of locking us into an app that is useful to students, not just executives rubbing their hands at how smart they’ve been in locking it all down?
New edition dilemma solved
Okay so I'm not one for reading from a pad that doesn't have pages I can turn physically; however, recently I was backed into a corner of no escape. Choices? Download the new edition now, wait until December for the physical copy to arrive, or fail the subject. As I travel constantly, I have the book on hand always, it is significantly lighter and I have saved on storage space and bought a new pair of shoes with the price savings.
A win win for all.
The big flaw is that each page takes a second to load when you turn the page. This is jarring while reading and downright horrible while flipping through pages trying to find something. This has been a consistent problem, and it really needs to be addressed. Even the latest model iPad Pro has to load pages as they go. The next time you see a book that’s only available through vital source, pirate it. These people have forfeited the right to make money doing anything for the rest of their lives as far as I’m concerned.
- Vital Source Technologies, Inc.
- 194.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 VitalSource Technologies Inc.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.