* * Featured on the Wall Street Journal, BBC, The Guardian, TED, VICE Motherboard • Won Editors' Choice Award from PCMagazine * *
* * Looking up will never be the same again! Discover the amazing and unexpected world of clouds with CloudSpotter, your virtual guide to the wonders of the sky. Unlock Stars and Achievements for each new cloud type you spot, and compete with other CloudSpotters around the world! * *
* * *
From the fluffy Cumulus that form on a sunny day, to the rare Noctilucent clouds that shine from the fringes of space, the fleeting beauty and endless variety of clouds have have always fascinated scientists and daydreamers alike.
Fall in love again with this sense of wonder and dreaminess with CloudSpotter, created by Gavin Pretor-Pinney, bestselling author, winner of the Royal Society Winton Prize for Science Books and founder of The Cloud Appreciation Society.
Introducing 40 uniquely different cloud species and light phenomena with hundreds of spectacular photographs and extensive descriptions, CloudSpotter enables you to easily identify and spot them as you look up the sky every day.
Even better yet, CloudSpotter turns cloudspotting into a unique reality-based game by challenging you to earn Stars, unlock Achievement Badges and compete against other CloudSpotters around the world as you build your cloud collection.
A perfect sky-gazing companion for long walks, cross-country road trips or train rides, and above the clouds from the window seat of a plane, where you might even spot the elusive Glory optical effect; a beautiful halo of rainbow colors around your shadow.
* * *
• The CLOUD LIBRARY features 40 unique cloud formations and optical effects, from the common Rainbow to the rare and beautiful Asperitas cloud, with hundreds of stunning photos and all of Gavin's entertaining explanatory notes from the Cloud Collector's Handbook. Learn what makes each formation special, and how to identify the clouds and light phenomena you spot in the sky.
• You win STARS for each new cloud type you successfully spot. The rarer the cloud, the more Stars you earn! Grow your CLOUD COLLECTION and complete special challenges to earn 20 beautiful, hand-drawn CloudSpotter ACHIEVEMENT BADGES.
• Our team of cloud experts carefully verifies each spotting. That’s right, real people will look at your cloud photos to confirm whether you identified them right!
• Collect all 40 cloud formations and complete your CloudSpotter collection with 115 Stars to clear the legendary TRIUMPH IN THE SKIES Achievement.
• Not sure about the kind of cloud or optical effect you see? The unique CLOUD IDENTIFIER makes figuring out what exactly you are spotting a breeze! Just answer a few questions, and CloudSpotter will tell you what exactly you are most likely looking at.
• Compete against your friends and CloudSpotters around the globe: See how well you fare against the growing worldwide community of cloud lovers on the app’s RANKINGS.
• Browse the CLOUDSTREAM, a live feed of weird and wonderful cloud photographs by other CloudSpotters worldwide. Every day, we select our favorite photo and feature it at the top. If one of your photographs is selected, it will earn you the special "Photo of the Day" Achievement Badge. Not an easy get!
* * *
LOVE FOR CLOUDS AND CLOUDSPOTTER:
"I can strongly recommend the app. It's a fun, educational, and challenging tool to help you identify, understand, and appreciate the wide variety of clouds that float above our world." (Tony Hoffman, PCMagazine – Editor Rating: Excellent)
"It makes you stare into the sky and think about what you are seeing. And as you start to understand what each cloud in the sky is, you start to appreciate them more." (Shaun McGill, Lost in Mobile)
"The best part was seeing photos of clouds snapped by other users!" (Tatiana Baez, VICE Motherboard)
* * *
Read more about CloudSpotter and preview our introduction video "The World of Clouds" on CloudSpotterApp.com.
• We've fixed a critical issue that could cause the app to crash when reuploading a spotting.
New features in 1.2:
• Spotting a small cloud or feature? Zoom in with the tap of a button!
• Tapped away the help screens a little too quickly? You can now view them again to your heart's content.
• App sounds are now silenced by default. If you miss them, just re-enable sounds in Settings.
Fixes in 1.2:
• Never miss a verification or a new badge: Push notfications work again.
• No more blackouts during update notifications.
• Better compatibility with iOS 9 and iPads.
• Various bugfixes and stability improvements.
• Note: If your spotting locations have been blank since the last app update, simply reinstall CloudSpotter. It's a permissions issue that can't be fixed any other way.
We won't bug you in the app to leave a review, but if you enjoy CloudSpotter, it would mean so much if you would share this by rating & reviewing the app on the App Store. Thank you!
Like fb.com/CloudSpotterApp or follow @CloudSpotterApp on Twitter to stay up to date with the latest news, and read the FAQ on our website for answers to your most frequent questions and suggestions. Happy cloudspotting!
Ratings and Reviews
This App is Awesome but sadly it won't let you upload from your camera roll, I have over 4 thousand CloudPorn pictures on my camera roll that I've been taking over the last few years😁 there's no way I'm ever gonna snap another one in a million cloud pic, just so I can upload to this App,if people cheat and upload something that's not there's they're only cheating themselves!! I'm hoping that this feature changes so I can upload from my camera roll in the future 🤙
Wonderful concept behind this app! Love the library of clouds - interesting & informative! The Awards side of it is a bit lame and very euro-centric! For example I got an award for submitting a cloud photo from south of the equator (where i live) but there doesn't seem to be anything similar for north of the equator. It's still a very new app & is having a few teething problems - it does close down a lot - especially when first trying to get into it which is frustrating but I'm sure can be fixed. It's lost 1 of the 4 photos that I tried to upload. I love that cloud types are verified when submitted - something that you don't get trying to identify them on your own. Overall a great app - enjoyable & educational & worth it (even with the current bugs).
So much promise
I had high hopes for this ap. The cloud library itself is fantastic and I love the 'recently spotted in your area' section. However, not being able to upload a photo from your library is very frustrating. By the time you open the ap (which has crashed on me a number of times) and figure out what cloud your spotting it could be gone! I have a beautiful horseshoe vortex I'd like to upload but can't! You also have to log into the ap almost every time you open it which is very frustrating. Fix these small things and it would be wonderful.
- Cloud Appreciation Ltd
- 121.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- CloudSpotter © The Cloud Appreciation Society
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.