"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full 2D and 3D physics engines for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at https://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
- Apple Pencil API support, see the new fields on the `touch` type in the docs
- See the new example "Pencil Case" to demo them
- Xcode export now supports all types of Codea projects, including ones using the Craft API
- Old touch APIs are renamed, see the docs for details but in general: expect vector types where you had scalars before. E.g., touch.x and touch.y are now touch.pos
- Old properties are still there but deprecated
- Fixes a bug where opening an external Codea project for editing could result in a blank editor
- Fixes a bug where `NSRange` could be inserted into the code editor when selecting a sprite using the photo picker
Ratings and Reviews
A-fricking-mazing like people who make this time of stuff deserve alot respect. The amount of time and effort this probably took over years. If you are hating this app consider yourself and the person who worked very hard to make this app.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much! It's just two of us building this app, and we both loved reading your review.
Best Ever App On The IPad
This is an absolutely incredible development tool that is superior to anything else. As someone who is essentially learning from scratch (dabbled in a bit of the old Basic back in the day 20+ years ago) learning on this app has been a pleasure. I've flirted with other IDE's however no other's compare to Codea with it's user friendly environment, editing features, import support, forum community, Xcode export, demos/examples, sprite/sound libraries and the list goes on. They have left no stone unturned here and continue to raise the bar with great updates. This proves that the IPad can be a development tool which enables you to get creative and express your ideas. I've had fun creating a couple of cool little demo games and look forward to doing more with Codea as I expand my knowledge. ***5 STARS ALL THE WAY!!!***
By creating something that encourages further creativity, in coding no less, Two Lives Left have moved into the forefront of app development for the iPad. Their creation will interest those who are learning how to program, as well as those who want to prototype game-type apps quickly. An enthusiastic community is already growing up around this product, which has a promising future ahead of it. Bugs are being squashed and new features are being developed - yet it is a solid initial offering.
- Two Lives Left
- 162 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Two Lives Left
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.