Download the most essential and comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPad– with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms. The app is designed and optimized for your device.
Easily search definitions and synonyms offline. You can access the offline dictionary anytime and anywhere - you do not need an internet connection. Voice search and audio pronunciation requires connection.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice Searches – conveniently speak to search a word without having to spell it
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Remove ads
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
Embarrassed. Adjective. Us when we realized the medical and science dictionary went AWOL. We're very sorry, and don't worry: We brought it back.
(Hear ye, hear ye: If you want to hear your audio pronunciations, don't forget to crank up your phone volume!)
Ratings and Reviews
Confusing in-app ad-free unlock.
Thought I had bought the upgrade. Took my money. But ads still appeared. Ended up having to go to pro version and pay for that version. Just confusing. In the off-line world purchases seem a little more straight forward. If you buy it, you see it. Online with ads has the annoying lack of allure of ads that might not go away if the program has a glitch.
Anyway the pro version is good. Just wanted to know what I was going to get before buying, which was why I got this free version first. The free version has a glitch in the upgrade function, from my own experience.
I love the word of the day and love the app but one thing.
I bought an upgrade and it’s not working for me. It says it’s purchased but is not showing up with what I bought. Then I tried to reset upgrades and that didn’t work as well.
I hope someone helps me so i can reset my purchase or the thing I purchased can show up.
The app has crashed after the latest update. After several attempts of contacts it's still not fix. Frustrating as I paid for the premium.
I hope there will be another update to fix it.
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 199.3 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Dictionary.com, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade $4.49
- Ad-Free Upgrade $4.49
- Encyclopedia upgrade $4.49
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.