Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The all new ESV Bible app was designed to be the most beautiful and intuitive Bible app available. The app includes free resources such as personalized reading plans, audio streaming, and full access to the ESV Global Study Bible.
• Read. Features an elegant new interface designed specifically for mobile devices. Quick access to cross-references, split-screen reading, and a brand new reader’s mode help you engage with God’s Word on a deeper level.
• Study. Build your personal library by unlocking helpful resources like the award-winning ESV Study Bible via the in-app store.
• Apple Watch. Interact with God’s Word on your wrist with integrated reading plan support, custom reminders, audio, and more.
• Audio. Listen to a free audio reading of the biblical text (internet connection required).
• Reading Plans. Follow one of a variety of free reading plans to help you read the Word consistently.
• Search. Search by reference, keyword, or phrase with lightning speed.
• Write. Capture your ideas and reflections while listening to a sermon or during Bible study in personal notes attached to specific passages.
• Highlight. Highlight and bookmark favorite verses with just two taps.
• Sync. Sync your highlighted verses, bookmarks, notes, and purchased content with ESVBible.org—giving you access to all of your content from any browser.
• Share. Share verses with friends and family via text message, email, Facebook, and Twitter.
What's New in Version 3.2
- Added sort and clear options to search history
- Fixed a crash related to reading plans
- Fixed a bug related to the numbering of some footnotes
- Fixed a bug related to favorites and highlights not correctly sorting by date
- Fixed some bugs related to switching from portrait to landscape mode and back again
- Fixed a few bugs related to changing the app’s color theme
- Fixed two start up crashes
- Fixed a variety of other bugs and glitches
Falls short of the original ESV Study app
I do love the look of the new app, but where it surpasses other Bible apps in design it falls short in usability.
I don't like how the reference passages pop up in a little window above the reference marker and that there is no option to view it in full size. Also, as another reviewer mentioned, there's no option to quickly and easily go back to the previous verse you were looking at (and the one before that, and the one before that, etc.). You have to go through the navigation panel at the top each time. Navigation was one thing the original ESV Study Bible app did beautifully and seamlessly. It was really an intuitive design perfect for studying.
Also, the commentary of the Study Bible app is not included in this one, which leaves me confused as to why they said they were replacing the original app with this one?
Also, I really don't get the reading plans layout (referring to 'Daily Light on the Daily Path' plan). Why are the verses in that order? Why are they all jumbled together as if they belong to one passage? Why are some verses repeated a few times? There really needs to be a "How To" section for the reading plans.
NEEDS MORE WORK
This app has great potential. At the moment however, its parts are not integrated. You can't go easily from a daily devotional back to bible reading without having to re-navigate to where you left off - there's no direct link. The daily devotional itself doesn't keep itself updated to the last one read: it has to be re-navigated from the beginning - and internally it's a shambles. Finally, the ESV Study Bible app (which was paid for) has been discontinued (replaced by this new ESV app), but the Study Bible features are not at all integrated in the new app. Overall, very disappointing at present, but it will be great once its shortcomings are rectified.
My update, I find expanding the verse to highlight very hard works sometimes only.
Still trying to work out the icons in open box,
Their usage is confusing.
Would like a "how to" in app for help.
I have been using this app for a number of yrs, why they had it start changing the menu etc is beyond thinking.
I would have given it 5 stars before, but now I think 3 is all I would give it.
Can't understand why you change a good app, unless you expect us to buy the $18+ one.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 20 May 2015
- Version: 3.2
- Size: 30.3 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Crossway
- © 2014 Crossway
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- ESV Study Bible$27.99
- ESV Gospel Transformation Bible$22.99