Plan, navigate and share your next 4WD, camping or caravanning adventure with Hema Explorer:
• Navigate offline with Australia’s best multi-scale topographic mapping
• Perfect off-road navigation companion with real-time GPS tracking
• Australia-wide 4WD map coverage for exploring 4x4 tracks and trails
• Features over 690,000km of 4WD tracks and 545,000km of unsealed roads
• Use 40,000 points of interest (POI) including campsites, caravan parks, dump points, lookouts, wineries and more, with facility information included to help you plan your trip and see what’s around you
• Generate a route to an address or point of interest using Quick Routing
• Save a log of your trip with track recordings, geotagged photos, waypoints and trip notes
• Backup all your trip data to your free Hema Explorer Cloud account and become a part of an online community of explorers
• Share your trips online with friends and family
YOU CAN ALSO PURCHASE AN EXPLORER PRO SUBSCRIPTION* ($49.99 for a year or $9.99 for a month) TO GET ADDITIONAL ACCESS TO NEW CONTENT AND FEATURES:
• The Hema Explorer Map's most detailed map layers - zoom past the app-standard 1:150,000 max scale to an unprecedented topographic scale of 1:10k, Australia-wide
• Government state topographic maps for New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania
• More features for the Hema Explorer Cloud: plan routes, print customised 4WD maps from home and view all facility attributes of every POI
Create your ideal adventure with Hema Explorer’s huge collection of points of interest. Find campsites, caravan parks, and rest areas to stay at during your journey, as well as 24-hour fuel locations, roadhouses, dump points, public toilets, information centres, mechanics, hospitals and more.
Hema Explorer gives you access to the Hema Explorer Map, a multi-scale topographic map that features our entire database of roads and 4WD tracks to guide you anywhere in Australia. With seamless Australia-wide coverage and intuitive map scaling down to 1:150k in the standard version and 1:10k in Explorer Pro, the Hema Explorer Map delivers Australia’s most comprehensive topographic mapping to your mobile device.
Hema Explorer makes navigating your adventure simpler than ever with Quick Routing. Generate a route to a specific address or point of interest to navigate your journey without the guesswork.
Hema Explorer enables you to record your journey with track logs, geotagged photos, waypoints and trip notes, which you can automatically backup to your free Hema Explorer Cloud account. You can then post your trips to the Hema Explorer Cloud trip gallery and share them online, where friends can view them on the Hema Explorer Map or as a 3D slideshow.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
*To manage your Explorer Pro subscription:
- You can turn off auto-renewal via the main Settings app: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Our Terms & Conditions: http://www.hemamaps.com/Home/Policies/Terms-and-Conditions
**You do not need a SIM Card installed or cellular coverage to utilise the GPS tracking functions on iPad for the app, though a WiFi+Cellular iPad is necessary to discover and track your location. A WiFi-only iPad does not contain the in-built GPS that a WiFi+Cellular iPad does, however external Bluetooth GPS receivers can be purchased for use with a WiFi-only iPad.
Fixed Search crash
Other bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Revised review, now 4 stars
After many frustrating months I am now happy to give Hema 4 stars. It did take me tracking down a human I could talk to, but the Manager listened and thankfully the next update fixed the major issue with the Search function causing the app to crash. The app is now useful. I am disappointed that the Hema maps themselves aren’t necessarily comprehensive in all areas, including major national parks, particularly in NSW, of course you can’t tell where the maps are lacking until you compare to either a Google map or the National Park map. So beware, they may be good in the Vic High Country but don’t expect the same level of detail or accuracy in other areas. I do like the way the maps rate the roads and 4wd trails which is not something you could get on Google maps.
Developer Response ,
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to review the app.
Needs update for iOS11!
Seems pretty good, but have just noticed after updating to iOS11 that the menus don’t render properly, jumbling text at the top of the screen and making it impossible to click the back button to get out of the menu. Have to close app and reopen to get back to the map.
Also just paid for 1 month of pro access for a trip next week, but it doesn’t look like the more detailed map can be downloaded? Have deleted and re-downloaded SA map but when i put the phone in airplane mode to simulate no signal, i cant zoom in to the detailed map. Which will be useless when I’m trying to use it offline in a remote area! Defeats the purpose of the pro access...
Am using iphone7plus..
App not worthy of the maps
While some of the issues reported are probably fixed, the app is clunky and still buggy. At random times portions of the screen render at different resolutions making it useless. The different zoom levels are crude in comparison to most vector based maps I’m used to. The max level of zoom leaves you wishing for more but I simply don’t trust trying the pro version subscription. The cursor is so large it sometimes hides the detail of road intersections just when you need it most. I’d love to use the maps but when travelling for the past couple of months I found the app so frustrating I ended up using Pocket earth, Apple maps cached and at times a hard copy of Hema maps. Very disappointing.
- Hema Maps Pty Ltd
- 160.8 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Hema Maps Pty Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Explorer Pro $9.99
- Explorer Pro $49.99
- High Country Victoria $14.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.