By Bupa Australia Health Pty Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
** iOS8 and above: Please manually allow the app to access the camera by going to Settings > Privacy > Camera > FoodSwitch and toggle the camera access switch “On” **
Packaged foods are often surprisingly high in salt, saturated fat, added sugar and kilojoules. So use FoodSwitch to see what’s in the food you’re eating, and to help you make healthier choices for you and your family.
FoodSwitch comes with handy filters to suit different health needs:
- FoodSwitch Classic is for anyone looking to make generally healthier food choices
- SaltSwitch has been designed to help people lower their salt intake
- GlutenSwitch helps people living with coeliac disease or gluten intolerance as it also identifies if a packaged food contains gluten
- FatSwitch has been designed to help people lower their saturated fat intake and is great for people with or being treated for high cholesterol
- EnergySwitch can help people choose foods with lower energy (kilojoules) to help manage their energy needs
- SugarSwitch helps people choose healthier foods with less sugar to help lower total sugar intake.
You can now also view the nutrition information using two modes:
- Traffic light labels – uses colour-coded ratings tell you if a product is low (green), medium (amber) or high (red) for four key food components (salt, sugar, fat and saturated fat).
- Health Star Ratings – gives an idea of how healthy a product is overall from 0.5 to 5 stars; the higher the star rating, the healthier the food.
- Get immediate, easy-to-understand nutritional information from a large, independent, Australian packaged food products database
- Get a list of similar foods to the item you scanned and switch to healthier choices where available
- Save your healthy favourites on personalised shopping lists.
- Export your lists of healthier choices or share them with friends and family
FoodSwitch has been developed by Bupa and The George Institute for Global Health to help Australians make healthier food choices.
For more information about FoodSwitch and answers to commonly asked questions, visit www.bupa.com.au/foodswitch.
© The George Institute for Global Health 2015. FoodSwitch provides nutritional information and healthier alternatives based on a scientific algorithm developed by The George Institute for Global Health and licensed to Bupa Australia Pty Ltd ABN 81 000 057 590 (“Bupa”). The information has been developed and reviewed by health professionals and to the best of their knowledge is current and based on reputable sources of evidence at the time of publishing. Whilst every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the data, no warranty of this accuracy is provided. All users, especially those with special dietary requirements or food sensitivities, should assess the accuracy and relevance of this information for their personal circumstances. The information should be used as a guide only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional medical advice. The George Institute and Bupa are not liable for any loss or damage you suffer arising out of the use of or reliance on the information, except that which cannot be excluded by law. We recommend that you consult your doctor or other qualified health professional if you have questions or concerns about you, or your family’s health.
What's New in Version 1.93
- Updated list of products
- Tutorial fix when opening the app
- Healthier choices and food categories message fix
- Minor content fixes
Great help when shopping
I use this when I go shopping. It has a lot of food products, it helps make a healthy choice every time. It is in its infancy but still has a lot of products. You can add food/products by sending information to them. It is easy to do, it's as simple as three photos. One photo for cover, one photo for ingredients and one kilojoules table rating. I love this app and it's very usefull
We can all make this better
Being able to search by a keyword is the biggest limitation of this app - please can we have the functionality to do this with criteria e.g. ice cream + gluten free.
That said, as a newly diagnosed coeliac, this is a great tool. As pointed out by other reviewers, it's very easy to add to the database by sending those few photos. This will make the app even better.
It's great that products can be looked up by scanning the barcode. However one major setback is not being able to search for products by typing in keywords.
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: 18 April 2016
- Version: 1.93
- Size: 56.7 MB
- Languages: English, Chinese
- Seller: Bupa Australia Health Pty Ltd
- © The George Institute, licensed to Bupa Australia Pty Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.