Take simple steps to better health by reducing fat, salt and sugar in your diet.
Packaged foods can be surprisingly high in salt, saturated fat, added sugar and kilojoules. Use FoodSwitch for healthy grocery shopping and to make better food choices for you and your family.
Take three simple steps to better health by reducing high levels of fat, salt and sugars in you and your family’s diet.
1. Scan barcodes of packaged foods with your camera and see what’s in the food you’re eating.
2. See similar foods that are healthier based on established nutrition criteria.
3. Share your healthier food choices with your friends via Facebook, Twitter or email.
FoodSwitch comes with handy filters to suit different health needs:
- FoodSwitch Classic is for anyone looking to make generally healthier food choices.
- SaltSwitch has been designed to help people lower their salt intake and is great for people with, or being treated for, high blood pressure.
- GlutenSwitch is great for people with coeliac disease or a gluten intolerance who are looking for gluten-free products.
- FatSwitch has been designed to help people with, or being treated for, high cholesterol.
- EnergySwitch can help people choose foods lower in kilojoules/calories.
- SugarSwitch helps people choose healthier foods with less total sugar
You can now also view the nutrition information in two modes:
- Traffic Light Labels – uses colour-coded ratings to tell you if a product is low (green), medium (amber) or high (red) for four key food components (salt, sugar, fat and saturated fat).
- Health Star Ratings – gives an idea of how healthy a product is overall from 0.5 to 5 stars; the higher the star rating, the healthier the food.
- Get immediate, easy-to-understand nutritional information from a large, independent, Australian packaged food products database.
- Get a list of similar foods to the item you scanned and switch to healthier choices where available.
- Simple colour-coded ratings for 4 key food components (total fat, saturated fat, sugars and salt).
- Get a list of healthier choices for the food you scan and switch to healthier choices where available.
- Save your healthy favourites on personalised shopping lists.
- Export your lists of healthier choices or share them with friends and family.
FoodSwitch was first developed in Australia by Bupa and The George Institute for Global Health Australia to help Australians make healthier food choices.
Download the app today and find out for yourself why key health organisations like FoodSwitch!
For more information about FoodSwitch and answers to commonly asked questions, visit www.bupa.com.au/foodswitch or http://www.georgeinstitute.org/projects/foodswitch.
Product Comparison Functionality
Improved Product Scanner
Updated Product Database
Improved Healthier Choice Recommendations
Minor Bug Fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Absolutely love this app. It has helped so much with our food choices when shopping. Could you make it possible to select a few filters? Eg. My partner is coeliac so we use the gluten switch, but I have high blood pressure so I use the salt switch, would be great to be able to combine the two instead of constantly swapping between them.
But otherwise keep up the good work :)
Hi Chelley202. Great to hear you are loving this app and thanks for your recommendation! At this point in time we do not have the option of selecting more than one filter at a time, however we are always looking at ways to improve and have noted your recommendation for review.
It’s so handy to have an app that compares key nutrient Iona limits content quickly and easily and provides an alternative.
However, I would love to see consistency in the serve sixes (I saw another reviewer didn’t like the 100g but personally I much prefer because comparing 16g vs 100g I’m only going on your traffic light system)
Another great addition I’d love to see one day is a photo of the label when I click the alternative so I know what I’m looking for!
Hi samtho22, thank you very much for your feedback. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our current FoodSwitch app and having photos is a great idea that we will definitely look into. As for the serve size issue raised, the only way to view and compare 100g with 100g is in the HSR mode. The Traffic Light Label system was designed to display the product scanned in per serve values only, however the healthier choices are ranked using per 100g values for consistency. Try switching modes to HSR and see how you go.
Best ever quick tool for foods
This is very handy, useful information, easy to use, accurate and free app in the Apple store.
I use this app every time I go shopping, you’d be surprised at how many healthy foods are actually unhealthy.
Get it and use it for your health if for nothing else. Thank you
Hi Buccil, thank you very much for your great review. We are glad you are reaping the benefits of the FoodSwitch app. You can now use the compare functionality to compare "like" products within the same store. Enjoy!
- The George Institute for Global Health
- 66.8 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © The George Institute for Global Health
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.