GarageBand turns your iPad, and iPhone into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. And with Live Loops, it makes it easy for anyone to have fun creating music like a DJ. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play keyboards, guitars, and create beats that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug in a guitar or bass and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use a Touch Instrument, microphone, or a guitar and instantly record a performance with support for up of 32 tracks. Use the new Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs. Audio Unit Extensions in iOS 11 allow you to play, record and mix third-party instruments or effects right into GarageBand. And then share your song with friends and family.
Live Loops. Make music like a DJ
• Use Multi-Touch to tap and trigger a Live Loop cell or group of cells
• Get started with templates or build your own grid from scratch with Apple Loops
• Create custom loops by recording directly into a cell using any Touch Instrument
• Use Remix FX to perform DJ-style effects
• Tap record and capture your performance
Play your iPad, and iPhone, like a musical instrument
• Play a variety of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Play and record using the Alchemy synth*
• Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer
• Download free instruments, loops and sound packs for GarageBand with the Sound Library
• Capture any sound and apply studio-class effects
• Recreate legendary guitar or bass rigs using virtual amps & stompboxes
• Use 3D Touch to play keyboard sounds with polyphonic aftertouch**
• Record performances from third-party music apps directly into GarageBand using Audio Unit Extensions***
Drummer for iOS
• Add virtual session drummers to your song who take direction and play realistic grooves
• Choose from acoustic, electronic drummers and percussionists****
• Each character provides their own sound and the ability to create over a million realistic grooves and fills
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Play an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Perform with Chord Strips and autoplay using any keyboard instrument
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric, and synth sounds
• Strum chords or trigger autoplay patterns on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar
Create a song anywhere you go
• Record, arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings, and loops*****
• Record multiple times over any song section and choose your favorite using Multi-Take Recording
• Use professional mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher, and Overdrive
• Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Automate the volume and record the movement of controls on Touch Instruments
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
Share your songs
• Keep your songs up to date across all devices using iCloud Drive
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
• Share your songs using email or Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud******
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro X project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
* The Alchemy synth is available on iPhone 6 or later, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation), iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4.
** Polyphonic aftertouch is available on iPhone 6s or later.
*** Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions apps from the App Store.
**** Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library.
***** Multitrack recording requires a compatible third-party audio interface.
****** Sharing to Facebook and YouTube requires iMovie.
• Includes a collection of Touch Instrument and Drummer Apple Loops, which allow you to continue shaping their sound and performance after adding them to your project
• Supports import and playback of MIDI files
• This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Make music wherever you go.
Great but a few things missing
It's a great app to make quick short tracks or even full tracks in some extensive detail but it does lack a few key elements that could make things sound much better:
1. When placing notes in the piano roll, you can place plain notes but it'd be great if you were able to place down notes as slide notes which would really add some complexity into the songs
2. When you go into the song settings and change the key, it only allows you to go along the scale above C major. It would be much better if there were also the option to go along the scale below it so we won't have to go to each individual track and change each semitone or octave
3. Garage band allows for volume automation within the song which offers a bit more freedom in the sense of dynamics that can be incorporated, however it would be much better if you could also automate effects within the actual instruments such as the cutoff, attack, decay, release etc. to allow for smooth transitions between different elements and sections of the song
Overall this is a very easy app to use and has a lot of tools to make good-sounding songs. It’s allowed me to create tracks that I’ve included in my portfolio when applying for a music production course at my current uni, although I think this app still has a lot of potential and I look forward to seeing what gets added next
Very user unfriendly
Perhaps if you’re using this app everyday and you get to know the huge and illogical workings of this dog’s breakfast called garage band it can be really great, but it is NOT for the casual user.
Even the most seemingly simple of editing a short sound file will cost you hours of your life as you navigate the poor display and seek help through the app it’s self only to still have to resort to search for answers elsewhere on the net.
And it’s just so counter intuitive! For example, if you wanna duplicate a track you’ve already painstakingly edited, after some exploration you will open a window and find the option to ‘duplicate track’. Now, am I crazy for thinking it could be this easy? Yep! Turns out ‘duplicate track’ does not duplicate the track at all but merely opens a whole new track with NOTHING ON IT but has the same ‘settings’ as the track you want to duplicate.
This is not your cut/drag/paste easy to use app. It is a quagmire that should be avoided at all costs unless you are a qualified sound engineer.
- Apple Pty Limited
- 1.7 GB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.