Google Photos is a smarter home for all your photos and videos, made for the way you take photos today.
The best photo product on Earth – The Verge
Google Photos is your new essential picture app – Wired
Upload the pictures and let Google Photos do the rest – The New York Times
• FREE UP SPACE: Never worry about running out of space on your phone again. Photos that are safely backed up can be removed from your device’s storage in just a tap.
• VISUAL SEARCH: Your photos are now searchable by the people, places and things in them – no tagging required.
• MOVIES AND GIFS, MADE FOR YOU: Get automatically created movies, collages, GIFs and more from your photos. Or easily create them yourself.
• ADVANCED EDITING: Transform photos with a tap. Use intuitive and powerful photo and video editing tools to apply content-aware filters, adjust lighting and more.
• SMART AUTOMATIC ALBUMS: Tell better stories, without the work. Automatically get a new album with just your best shots after an event or trip, then invite others to add their photos.
• LIVE ALBUMS: Share your latest photos with Live Albums. Select the people and pets that you want to see and Google Photos will automatically add photos of them as you take them, no manual updates needed.
• SHARED LIBRARIES: Share without sharing. Grant a trusted person access to all of your photos.
• REDISCOVER: Get collages of photos that you took a year ago on this day.
• CAST: View photos and videos on your TV with Chromecast support.
• FREE STORAGE: Back up unlimited photos and videos for free for up to 16 megapixels and 1080p HD and access from any device and photos.google.com – your photos are safe, secure and private to you.
You can also upgrade storage for your Google account, used for Original Quality photos and videos, Google Drive and Gmail by subscribing to Google One, an expanded storage plan. Subscriptions start at $1.99/month for 100 GB in the US. Pricing and availability can vary by region.
Storage subscriptions purchased in-app will be charged to your iTunes Account, and automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Subscriptions and auto-renewal may be managed by going to iTunes Account Settings after purchase.
Google One Terms of Service: https://one.google.com/terms-of-service
Note: Face grouping is not available in all countries.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Google Photos doesn't run GPS in the background unless you give us permission by turning on optional features that require this.
Now, when you edit a photo, the changes will be saved faster.
Ratings and Reviews
I love this app, its easy to use and frees up valuable space on my iPhone. It’s amazing that we are given basically unlimited storage space, i was able to give up paying AU$10 a month for other cloud storage. My only complaint is how incredibly SLOW it is to upload your photo library initially. I had a little over 1000 pics on my phone and it’s been uploading almost constantly (I work from home so I can leave the app running day and night) and it’s been 4 days of uploading! I guess we can’t expect lightning fast speeds from a free program and once the initial upload is completed it should be quick and easy to keep on top of thereafter.
I do have one request, I don’t like the idea of all my precious memories being in only ONE location. Imagine someone gets my password and just to be a jerk they delete all my pics! Could happen! So I bought a little 2TB external drive to make sure I have them stored somewhere else, it would be great if there was some way to easily copy the contents of my google photos account to the drive.
A bit of getting used to ......
Its a good way, great infact, to store your photos to relieve your ever expanding icloud storage problem.
Whereas icloud virtually does everything for you once you have taken your shot, Google is a little more hands-on. Its not a bad thing, just most of us have become lazy and have to learn it all over.
However, once you get used to moving your way around it you'll find plenty of support and a fairly common sensical approach.
There is an assistant who is there to gather your photos into groups - as it sees it, and im not sure this is altogether necessary, im pretty sure most of us know who our friends & family members are - the assistant puts them all into fancy collages and albums etc. Im still fairly new and so far the only action im having a bit of trouble with is the great ability to write some info under each photo, we do forget things and it will be good to be able to read abit about what was happening etc, but so far, although ive written info under several photos, i havent yet been able to see it, well its not in the camera roll daily thingo, mabe in an album it can be viewed. Ill find out soon anyway.
Altogether, better than icloud, in fact ive turned icoud drive off, it has a terrific editingtool, and then when you think you have it perfect Google asks you if you would mind if they did one last modification and boom - then it really IS perfect !!
I found out about Google photos when I was sent a link to a shared family history album. I was so impressed that I read up on it and started using for myself. I am not that tech savvy & if something gets too hard then I usually opt out and stop using. Not so with Google photos as it is so easy to use and it is a great way to manage your photos and back them up. It’s also a great way to share photos. In the case of the family history album that I mentioned earlier, the album contained about 300 old photos that were found under a bed. By sharing the album, each person could go into the album and add names and comments against the photos. Many of the subjects in the photos have since been identified.
- Google LLC
- 302.8 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Kirghiz, Korean, Laotian, Latvian, Lingala, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Swiss German, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2016, Google Inc
- In-App Purchases
- 100 GB Month $2.99
- 200 GB Month $4.49
- 100 GB Annual $30.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.