By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Break through language barriers with Google Translate.
• Translate 90 languages
• Converse naturally and let Google translate
• Translate with your voice, camera, keyboard or handwriting
• Star your favorite translations for quick access even when you’re offline
• View dictionary results for single words or phrases
Translations between the following languages are supported:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chichewa, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongolian, Myanmar (Burmese), Nepali, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Sesotho, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zulu
Novosibirsk Metro image by Wikipedia user Sskz, used per the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/.
What's New in Version 3.2.0
• Improved stability. Fixed crash bugs.
• Word Lens: Just point your camera to a sign or text and the Translate app will instantly translate the text, even without Internet/data connection. Currently available in: English ↔ French, English ↔ German, English ↔ Italian, English ↔ Portuguese, English ↔ Russian, English ↔ Spanish.
• Camera Mode: Snap a photo, highlight the text, and get a translation. Currently available in 36 languages.
• Automatic language detection in speech/conversation mode - start translating with speech input and Translate will recognize which of the two languages is being spoken, allowing you to have a more fluid conversation with another person.
Hate the new "improved" app.
.I don't want to see the "improvements" every time I open the app. Takes up real estate I'd rather use for my previous translations.
.How do I turn off the spoken translation? Every time I want to use the app in public I have to turn off the sound on my device.
.I have to tap the mic for it to finish the translation; ok I preferred the old version where I didn't have to, but accept it may suit some people. But then it starts translating again as soon as I finish! That makes no sense. The app needs to calm down!
.I have seen/heard similar complaints from other users and wish I'd never updated. There is nothing in these latest updates that is of any value to me. Ok, make changes, but give options for those of us who need the tried and tested Google Translate of yore.
You can see how this can revolutionize going on holiday and not feeling like a fish out of water. The ability to overlay your phones camera over foreign text and have it translated in real time is nothing but awe inspiring brilliance.
Probably don't need to have it
It is a very good app but you probably don't need to download it as you can just use the Internet. It does not work without wifi. It is useful for languages at school. The german is not very accurate though.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 19 February 2015
- Version: 3.2.0
- Size: 24.4 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, En, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hu, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Ko, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2015 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.