How to Cook Everything Vegetarian®, the ultimate one-stop vegetarian cookbook—from New York Times columnist and bestselling author Mark Bittman—has more than 2,000 recipes, scores of how-to illustrations, and a nifty set of features designed especially for cooks on the go.
The How to Cook Everything Vegetarian universal app for iPad and iPhone makes delicious meatless and vegan food more accessible than ever. It offers the depth, scope, and portability of the bestselling How to Cook Everything app—and it’s all about vegetarian food.
This app is optimized uniquely for both the iPad and the iPhone, making the most of the size, shape, and capabilities of each. Some features are specific to the iPad only.
In this app you’ll find:
• The contents of Mark Bittman’s award-winning book, including more than 2,000 meatless recipes and recipe variations—from easy stir-fries, pastas, and burgers to do-it-yourself projects like tofu and cheese from scratch.
• No-nonsense cooking guidance: how-to illustrations; equipment, technique, and ingredient information; and meal-planning ideas.
• Easy-to-use and flexible search capabilities, including enhanced filters and the ability to browse recipes and reference information.
• Dedicated layouts for portrait and horizontal views, so the information and recipes are easy to follow—from any angle.
• Inspiring photos of weekly featured recipes (iPad only).
• Well-organized and email-friendly shopping lists that make it easy to buy ingredients—and whatever other groceries you need at home.
• The ability to bookmark particular recipe steps and jump with ease among recipes (iPad only).
• The ability to convert temperatures and quantities to metric.
• Handy built-in timers, placed throughout the recipe steps.
• A How-To section that provides convenient access to hundreds of illustrated tutorials on a broad range of topics (iPad only).
• A notes tab on each recipe that makes it easy to add your own recipe notes (iPad only).
• Select quotes from the book with voice-overs by Mark Bittman (iPad only).
• A constant-on button to prevent the screen from dimming while you cook (iPad only).
• The ability to print recipes and shopping lists and to add recipes to calendars.
• The ability to email up to 10 recipes a month to yourself or to friends.
• Cooking inspiration: Bittman’s Picks, Featured Recipes, Menues, and Favorites, which provide quick access to selected recipes.
• Feed your friends: Integration with Facebook and Twitter allows you to share what you’re cooking with your social network!
All recipe and reference content is embedded in this app, which means that you can use it even if you don’t have a network connection. The How to Cook Everything Vegetarian app is the perfect complement to the book, an invaluable resource and guide.
The How to Cook Everything Vegetarian app is the perfect complement to the book, an invaluable and innovative resource and guide.
Praise for the How to Cook Everything Vegetarian cookbook:
“Mark Bittman's category lock on definitive, massive food tomes continues with this well-thought-out ode to the garden and beyond. Combining deep research, tasty information, and delicious easy-to-cook recipes is Mark's forte and everything I want to cook is in here, from chickpea fries to cheese soufflés."
— Mario Batali, chef, author, and entrepreneur
“Recipes that taste this good aren’t supposed to be so healthy. Mark Bittman makes being a vegetarian fun.”
— Dr. Mehmet Oz, Professor of Surgery, New York-Presbyterian/Columbia Medical Center and coauthor of You: The Owner’s Manual
Love this app? Check out its companion app: How to Cook Everything.
This version corrects an issue that could cause the app to crash when started on iOS 9 systems.
Ratings and Reviews
This app is a good one. Easy to select recipes & good categories in terms
of quick recipes, ones that can be cooked beforehand and stored etc.
The one thing that's missing is the calorie content for
the meals - which would be a great addition to have...instead of having to calculate these yourself.
Can't intuitively work out where all the recipes I've chosen for the week are. You can only see them if you try to delete something from your shopping list. There is an option to save your recipes to your calendar though - so it has been thought of to an extent. They also pop up under 'recent recipes' - but so does everything you've perused....so you have to sort through them.
Great shopping list & you can add other items to that.
'How to' section is really helpful too!
Very handy at dinner time
I love this app and use it at least a couple of times a week. I am new to vegetarian cooking for my family so it's great to be able to search by ingredient when I get something interesting in my 'box of the week' full of fruit and veg. Normally I love real cookbook, but this app has proved itself very handy.
I have a number of cooking apps, and this is still the one I use most often. The content linked to each recipe is excellent, and everything I have tried has worked perfectly and been delicious. Well worth the money!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.