imiwa? (Japanese dictionary)
By Pierre-Phi di Costanzo
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
(Powered by iSpeech®)
This application is a multilingual Japanese dictionary for iPhone and iPod touch devices. It offers dictionary/kanji and example sentences full offline use.
Imiwa? was created using the amazing JMdict files from the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group based on the work of Jim Breen on the EDICT project.
Use the Japanese keyboard to look-up words in kana/kanji.
Use the Traditional Chinese character recognition keyboard included in the iPhone system for drawing kanji on screen.
Imiwa? now uses the iSpeech® technology to synthesize voice in many languages including Japanese! This function requires a network connection.
What's New in Version 4.0.1
New in imiwa? 4.0.1
This is a maintenance release addressing the following:
* Correctly layout screen when using Accessibility > Large text system setting
* Correctly clear recent searches if history is completely deleted
* Fixed a couple of crash reasons
* Minor interface adjustments
Previously in imiwa? 4.0
As of now and going forward, imiwa? is iOS7 only. If your device runs an older version of the system the App Store now allows you to download a version compatible with your device.
imiwa? is free as always, does not bother you with advertising nor does it request you repeatedly to rate it on the App Store.
Major changes :
* iOS7 look and feel
* Left side menu replaces tab bar
* QR magic see www.imiwaapp.com/qrmagic
* AirDrop dictionary entry, kanji entry or full vocabulary list/backup
* Share by flashing a QR code
* Open lists in external applications supporting the format (e.g. Kanji flow - flash cards)
* You can now nest vocabulary lists to better organise them
* Personal notes for dictionary and kanji entries
Implemented a « jump to dictionary search » shortcut at top of side menu: From any screens you are at most 2 taps away from starting a search
* Russian interface localisation
* Implemented swipe to favourite on example sentences
* Multiradical search is much much faster
* Preview a few compounds in kanji view
* Offline voice synthesis thanks to new iOS7 feature when no network connection
* Use of dynamic fonts, lighter fonts used throughout (font size control is now in system settings)
* Added button on every screen to unwind screen stack to top view
* Implemented recent searches when search field is being edited
* Removed 2 finger swipe to pop-up in view hierarchy (replaced by iOS7 swipe right from edge)
* Increased history retention to 150 items (was 50)
If you like imiwa? please consider leaving a rating on the App Store review page.
Multiple Element Japanese Dictionary
This app features a large amount of words, all major kanji and iOS voice-over pronunciation. Featuring a variety of ways to look up kanji. Lots of examples provided in both English and Japanese. You can create and organise folders to store words and kanji. All together this provides a very useful dictionary for learning. The notable problem of this app is the large focus on features at the expense of being stable and optimised. Crashes happen every now and then and were even more common in earlier versions. The filesize is large and needs to be compressed. The notes feature is also broken.
Make good even better!
While living in Japan, this app has been an invaluable resource the only thing is suggest is syncing the app with something like NHK's Japanese pitch accent dictionary so that the correct pitch accent also shows for each entry.
Also, being able to search by word categories would be great - eg. Searching all words noted as being honorific language.
Best Japanese dictionary app out there! Don't bother with any others. This has everything you could possibly need and more. So many great examples and verb forms. Everything is reliable and correct, unlike things such as Google translate. Without this app, I definitely would of failed my year 12 Japanese class.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 11 April 2014
- Version: 4.0.1
- Size: 323 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Pierre-Philipp di Costanzo
- © Pierre-Philippe di Costanzo
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.