With a streamlined design and intuitive Multi-touch gestures, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favourite moments, create beautiful movies and watch them on all your devices in iMovie Theater. And with the iMovie extension, it’s fast and fun to make every video more memorable — directly in the Photos app.
Browse and share your videos
• Enjoy all your videos in the full screen Video browser
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Mark favourite moments to easily find them later
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 14 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customise movie studio logos, cast names and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
• Record video for your trailer directly in iMovie
Create beautiful movies
• Choose from eight unique themes with matching titles, transitions and music
• Give your movie the perfect look with 10 Apple-designed video filters
• Enhance your movie with slow motion, fast forward, picture-in-picture and split screen effects*
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your music library and your own narration
• Connect a keyboard and use simple shortcuts to edit movies quickly
• Use the iMovie extension to enhance video clips directly in the Photos app
• Easily transfer projects between your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch using AirDrop or iCloud Drive
• Send any project to your Mac via AirDrop or iCloud Drive to finish editing with iMovie or Final Cut Pro X
• Share your finished movies and trailers to iMovie Theater and watch them on all your devices with iCloud
• Connect an external display to your iPhone or iPad and choose to mirror the iMovie interface or display your video full screen while you edit**
Share with friends and family
• Send videos with Mail and Messages
• Save to your photo library or share to YouTube in 4K or 1080p60***
• Save videos and iMovie project files to iCloud Drive
• Share videos and iMovie project files with AirDrop****
• Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream video to your HDTV with Apple TV*****
* 2x speed-up is available on iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display, and later devices.
** Requires iPhone 7 or later, iPad (6th generation) or iPad Pro (2017) or later.
*** 4K support is available on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro and later devices.
**** AirDrop requires an iCloud account and is available on iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPod touch (5th generation) and later devices.
***** AirPlay requires Apple TV (2nd generation) or later.
• Connect an external display to your iPad or iPhone and choose to mirror the iPad display or preview your video full screen while you edit* — with support for uncompressed 4K video output on iPad Pro 11-inch or iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
• Resolves issues which could cause video distortion when editing a vertical video clip with the iMovie edit extension in the Photos app
• Addresses an issue that could prevent sharing videos through a mobile network connection on iPhone or iPad
• Improves stability including an issue that could occur after adding speed change effects to clips in your movie
* Full screen video preview while editing requires iPhone 7 or later, iPad (6th generation) or iPad Pro (2017) or later
Ratings and Reviews
Create your first film with Multi-Touch.
Love this app, but when I add music I want to add another song, I try to crop it but you can only delete it because it automatically moves the other song with it or goes back to how it was. Also, please add more sound effects, there are a good amount already but maybe you could add more house and animal sounds like a a dog, cat, lion, etc. Window shutting, crash, etc. things like that could make the movie more advanced, intriguing & dramatic. Please add more themes for customisable movie option. IDEA: Add the option to place and change the size of shapes, clothes, animals etc. like you could add a hat on a person and make them move, that would be cool. Besides all this, this app is great. Sorry for this long review but I really hope you take all of this into consideration. Thank you, J.
Handy but unreliable
I’m writing this review immediately after iMovie for iOS has just corrupted my 5 minute timeline for the third time. I had been attempting to prove to a friend that they could leave their Mac at home and produce basic travel videos on their phone. This now seems to be a fantasy, purely due to a few crippling bugs.
- Performance is great, even when editing 4K60 files.
- It has most of the elementary features you’d expect to produce a competent home movie.
- Touch targets are infuriating small on iPhone (even on the X), particularly for trimming clips. Apple’s own Human Interface Guidelines seem to have been sidestepped here.
- Crashes frequently with a complex timeline (60 clips).
- Periodically mangles the timeline. Clip trim points are altered, dissolve transitions fade to black first, clips drift out of sync with voice-overs or other synchronised clips.
- When (not if) timeline corruption does occur, there is no recourse. There is no save (which is the iOS way) but that means there is no revert either. If your timeline is corrupted, your choices appear to be: throw your phone across the room, swear, cry or rebuild your timeline from scratch.
iMovie for iOS is good for demos and short videos, but if you’re expecting to make something you’d show to someone outside your family, it’s not ready yet.
- Apple Pty Limited
- 690.5 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2013-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.