With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favourite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad and finish them on a Mac. And when your movie is ready for its big premiere, you can enjoy it on all your devices in iMovie Theater.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organised in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customise movie studio logos, cast names and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s, GoPro and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use colour controls
• Stabilise shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
Watch anywhere with iMovie Theater
• Fill iMovie Theater with posters as you share clips, movies and trailers
• Access iMovie Theater on all your devices with iCloud
• Enjoy iMovie Theater on your HDTV with Apple TV
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Share directly to YouTube at up to 4K resolution
• Publish movies directly to Facebook and Vimeo
• Share any video frame as an image
iOS Developers: Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4 GB RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
• App Preview creation now supports iPhone X and additional iPad resolutions
• Resolves an issue that could prevent logging into Facebook
• Resolves an issue whereby HEVC video clips and HEIF photos could appear black in the viewer
• Resolves an issue whereby the import date was used as the capture date when importing from certain SD cards or AVCHD cameras
• Resolves a playback issue with Sound Designer 2 files
• Resolves an issue whereby iMovie could hang when quitting the app
• Resolves an issue whereby opacity controls may disappear when using iMovie in German or Polish
• Fixes an issue that could prevent sending certain iMovie projects to Final Cut Pro
• Addresses an issue that could lead to slower media import from SD cards on iMac Pro
• Improves stability when working with Camtwist Studio
Ratings and Reviews
This app is so good! It was hard for me at first but I got the hang of it. it’s not the best editor but it’s VERY good for it’s free price! I would totaly recomend this app to everyone. At first it would crash for me a few times, but one you use it more it won’t crash.
Sometimes it can take a while to load while starting up. That may just be my computer though.
I think this is amazing. I love editing with iMovie because it’s so easy and looks so effective!
Version 10.1.6 crashes every single time
I’ve used iMovie for years and generally its been okay. But this last version (10.1.6) has crashed on the most basic of functions. Click the Audio tab and crash. Click the Import Media button and crash. Drag/Drop an iTunes music file in, and crash. Stay away from this product until Apple finally get around to fixing it.
I have reported these problems to Apple, along with many other iMovie users, and Apple has simply ignored us all.
Constantly crashes, will not Air Drop without taking hours, I have to import it from my iPhone X, and then when I do the speed is all wrong although the same video plays perfectly well on my iPhone X. It used to work really until the last few days. It quits by itself and says it will send the data to Apple, but nothing has changed. 3 times in a row I was recording a video through FaceTime closed it to watch and the whole iMovie shuts down and the video I just spent an hour on has gone.
- Apple Pty Limited
- 2.3 GB
- English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.