See America through the eyes of award-winning documentary filmmaker Ken Burns.
Includes a brand new playlist around the theme of Leadership with introductions from Ken and new clips from across his filmography, including his latest film, The Roosevelts.
This app is not a collection of Ken’s filmography—it’s an entirely new way of looking at American history, only available on iPad.
Ken has been producing documentaries for over three decades, including such films as The Civil War, Baseball, Jazz, The National Parks, Frank Lloyd Wright, Prohibition and Mark Twain. Now, he has returned to this body of work and selected scenes illustrating recurring themes in American history.
View this app’s streaming video content with one of these features:
• Timeline view: Zoom in and out to explore a chronological history of America. Select scenes from the films to learn about that particular moment.
• Theme view: Select a theme (Art, Hard Times, Innovation, Politics, Race, War, Leadership) to see a playlist of scenes selected by Ken. Each playlist illustrates common patterns in the American story. In the playlist “Race,” for example, you’ll see how moments from The Civil War, Baseball, Thomas Jefferson and Jazz are related.
• Film view: Select your favorite Ken Burns film, like The War or Baseball, to watch scenes from that film. See what themes appear in your favorite film and how they reappear in the other films.
NOTE: One playlist (around the theme of Innovation) is included free with download. To view five additional playlists, including over three hours of video and more exclusive content from Ken, unlock the full version from within the app for $9.99.
The Ken Burns app was designed with iOS 7 and Retina Display in mind, so every full-screen video is rendered in stunning quality.
We’d love to hear your comments, questions and suggestions. Email us at email@example.com.
iOS 9 compatibility
Ratings and Reviews
Insightful and inspiring, documentarian Ken Burns’ first app reveals the patterns of American history through sweeping narratives composed of bite-sized clips from his films. Whether you’re listening to innovation in the form of Louis Armstrong’s improvisational jazz or watching it emerge in the creation of the Brooklyn Bridge, Burns’ thoughtful commentary and expertly crafted stories expose the beautiful and sometimes heart-rending shape of history.
Has potential, but frustrating
The big problem is that none of the linked films are available in Australia.
Sort out Australian access
I've always loved Ken Burn's work and the app is well designed but, as the previous reviewer stated, its frustrating the relevant films can't be accessed through the Australian itunes store.
- Ken Burns Media, LLC
- 30.6 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2015 Ken Burns Media, LLC.
- In-App Purchases
- Unlocked copy of Ken Burns $14.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.